Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread II - Eichel-watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Id argue the issue with him not cracking the lineup had less to do with skill and more to do with some disagreement he had with DE. I always thought he looked good on the ice.

I'm not sure how you can argue what is clearly baseless and wild speculation, but I would love to hear it.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think people are overstating the cap implications of the buyouts. They get immediate relief next year but after that the savings are negligible for the next three. I'm guessing this has nothing to do with saving cap dollars and everything to do with the expansion draft.

Crazy to think they would do that instead of just asking them to waive.

Maybe they did ask and they both said no...

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Nick Ritchie HAD a touch. back in 2016, with a Ducks career high of 14. He's hanging out in front of the net on a top 10 power play, while otherwise being on the 4th line doing nothing. Last years playoffs he had 1 point. This year he had 4, which ties his career high.

Dude sucked extra hard.

i think we should just agree to disagree. I think you’re way underselling Nick, which is fine I guess. But to defend replacing him with a guy who couldn’t crack our ass of a lineup last season is beyond me. That trade was pathetically bad.

Ehhhh... They're both complementary players. Ritchie wasn't great at ES, but a great PP passenger. Heinen is a better ES player, but his talent tops off as a third line player. Heinen helps the Ducks be involved in a lot of close games because we're lacking top line forward talent, essentially a bunch of 2nd to 4th line forwards on our team.

I think all of us wanted Ritchie to be the next important core person, but that player ended up being 7th rounder Kase. Unfortuantely, he's made out of glass. Ritchie isn't a core player to build around. Heinen isn't a core person to build around, but at least you'll get a more serviceable ES player. That's not saying a whole lot though.

Sometimes, high end draft picks don't workout. In 2019-20, we picked up 3rd overall pick from the 2010 draft in Gudbranson for practically nothing. Then at the 2019-20 trade deadline, we traded for the #17 overall from the 2014 draft in Milano for Devin Shore. At this year's trade deadline, we picked up the 7th overall pick in the 2014 draft in D Fleury. Ritchie fell into that mold, unfortunately.

We need better talent than Ritchie or Heinen if we're to improve significantly.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Yeah it'll be interesting to find out more, very possible IMO both said no. Both players, especially Suter, might make more money this way, and to them there might've been no benefit they could be convinced of. There's also other considerations, like this protects the Wild from recapture and saves a decent amount of real money, at least as a percentage of what they owed the two.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
In terms of upset, I'm more so upset with BM and in Ritchie's progress. 10th overall was a missed opportunity. I'm not mad at Heinen being the player he is, it isn't his fault that he's ultimately what became of the pick.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Minny bought out Parise and Suter. Wow. This is how it breaks down:

21-22: 4.7 mil
22-23: 12.7 mil
23-24: 14.7 mil
24-25: 14.7 mil
1.6 for the 4 years after that.

That is insane.

All to save a little over 3 mil in cash and a little on the cap next season.

I can't see how they manage to ice a competitive team in those big dead cap years. Just insanity.

There is the point that this also gives Minnesota some expansion draft help, plus it also protects them from any recapture scenarios. I still think this is insane though.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

They be like: Nah we won't waive we wanna retire here.

Minnesota: Seatte won't even pick washed up dudes with that contract aav.

Suter/Parise: You called us washed up ? Oh we are definitely not waiving now.

Minnesota: Fine we will buy you out if you don't waive.

Suter/Parise: you don't have the balls to do that lol.

Minnesota: you are both bought out, GTFO of Minnesota.

Suter/Parise: So much for 'Minnesota Nice'.

Reactions: Kariya 9 and MCB

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
TyPiCaL NeW DuCk FaN dude I've been a fan since I was 8. in 1998. The league is evolving and we cannot keep taking 2000 penalties a season and then wondering why we keep losing......
The league is evolving yet the 2 best teams in the league (Islanders and Lighting)have tough physical players who take penalties,hit and fight.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Good for them that has nothing to do with my point
They both have tough players who take penalties as well
The difference is that tough players can be had for cheap as depth complimentary players.
You don't want any small players so we'd never have a Point/Kucherov/Barzal under you.

Reactions: 405Entrance

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
The league is evolving yet the 2 best teams in the league (Islanders and Lighting)have tough physical players who take penalties,hit and fight.

Montreal actually hit the most in the league and they had more fights than Islanders this season (Islanders had the least fights). Ottawa had the most fights and the second most hits. Didn't do much for them.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA

It's not about big tough physical players who hit and fight. It's about not taking dumb penalties like Ritchie did. He had 97PIMS last season. That's more than either of those teams top 3 physical players. The closest anyone even got to Ritchie levels of PIMS was Pat Literal Plug Maroon. With 60.

Notice how I'm not talking shit about guys like Des, or Manson? No, it's every specifically Nick Ritchie because he's a bad player who killed Anaheim with his bad plays.

But keep thumping your chest and harkening back to the days of the 90s when guys like Todd Ewen and Stu Grimson would give themselves CTEs.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ritchie wasn’t much of a disappointment as a 10th overall pick. I think some people think that’s a more valuable draft slot than it actually is. There’s a big difference between a 5th overall pick and a 10th overall pick. In terms of likelihood of becoming an all star

We lucked out big time with Zegras at 9th overall. That’s our version of getting Rantanen at 10th overall. But most of the time you’re getting a player near Ritchies impact when drafting there. Sometimes slightly worse and sometimes slightly better

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
We will find out we were in on a deal, but at last second Buffalo sent him somewhere else and Eichel will put up 100+ for a few seasons just so we fee bad

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Montreal actually hit the most in the league and they had more fights than Islanders this season (Islanders had the least fights). Ottawa had the most fights and the second most hits. Didn't do much for them.

Interesting side note, the Sens were 6-3-0-1 vs Montreal this season. Has to be encouraging to see a team march to the finals knowing they can handle them.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The argument is Ritchie over useless small Heinen not Ritchie vs Barzal
We need a mix of both
Then i absolutely agree. Heinen is useless.
Complimentary players like the tough guys on Tampa are good to have.
Complimentary small weak guys like Gibbons/Hagelin are a waste of the salary cap.
Top line needs to be priority of top talent whether it be in 6'4 or 5'11 like Kucherov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad