Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread II - Eichel-watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
0D05ED19-94D2-4ACF-ADC0-163229184660.jpeg

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I could have sworn I read that the team wanted him to have the fusion if he has to have surgery.

If he has to but I remember reading they think they can avoid it or are at least hopeful they can but it doesn't matter because Eichel wants to do his procedure regardless.

Also, either way, I'm pretty sure this ends with Eichel getting his way and having his procedure.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If he has to but I remember reading they think they can avoid it or are at least hopeful they can but it doesn't matter because Eichel wants to do his procedure regardless.

Also, either way, I'm pretty sure this ends with Eichel getting his way and having his procedure.

What a mess...

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I’m honestly okay with either outcome.
If the Ducks can get Eichel for the 3rd++ then that would be awesome.

But there is obviously risk with his health and they may not be trading for the Eichel that we know. If they make the pick at 3 then I still think we are on the right track to have a good team in a couple years.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
@Static wrote: Eichel wants to have artificial disc replacement surgery, the team wants him to have a fusion (I think the anterior version).

Here's an article about it by Die by the Blade that Eichel wants the artificial disc replacement: Link

I thought that Eichel wanted the fusion surgery route. That has established results. With the artificial disc replacement, that's still new science. Ummm... I'm with Buffalo on this. Maybe we shouldn't go after Eichel. Let's go with Reinhart, who did show he can be a 1C last year in Eichel's absence.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Why would Eichel do the surgery if it has a high chance of ending his career or at least severely diminishing his ability to play? Why take the risk if there are other doctors suggesting alternatives?

I can only think of two reasons: 1) The pain is so much that he is just trying to be healthy and believes this is the only way for relief. (in this case, I hope he is okay but definitely no trade) 2) He believes this will allow him to continue playing at a high level.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Why would Eichel do the surgery if it has a high chance of ending his career or at least severely diminishing his ability to play? Why take the risk if there are other doctors suggesting alternatives?

I can only think of two reasons: 1) The pain is so much that he is just trying to be healthy and believes this is the only way for relief. (in this case, I hope he is okay but definitely no trade) 2) He believes this will allow him to continue playing at a high level.
It means the doctors he is seeing have suitable confidence in the procedure to convince him that it is the best course of action.

It very well may be that the team doctors have confidence in the procedure as well but can't recommend it because of the lack of precedent in elite athletes.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It means the doctors he is seeing have suitable confidence in the procedure to convince him that it is the best course of action.

It very well may be that the team doctors have confidence in the procedure as well but can't recommend it because of the lack of precedent in elite athletes.
It is likely going to be a nuanced discussion, where they evaluate the pain/disability/progression he is currently experiencing, vs the likelihood of improvement and which procedure is likely to give him the best outcome/least complications in his career and/or life. Being “normal” may or may not have entered the conversation. It’s also possible that the surgery that gives him the best life is not the same surgery that gives him the best chance of a hockey career. Those are the conversations none of us are privy to or have the knowledge base to discuss.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
it's pretty funny Sabres fans are so adamant that an injured Eichel who wants out and the team wants out is going to bring back at a minimum 3ova and Zegras from us. maybe if he was healthy with no other issues, but they seem to just ignore that all the stuff surrounding him is going to lower his value.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
it's pretty funny Sabres fans are so adamant that an injured Eichel who wants out and the team wants out is going to bring back at a minimum 3ova and Zegras from us. maybe if he was healthy with no other issues, but they seem to just ignore that all the stuff surrounding him is going to lower his value.
I maintain if you can get it done without zegras or drysdale, then you do it, if they have to be included you just make the pick at 3 and continue building

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Seen a couple things from our media (Stephens) and Ottawa media about the possibility of Henrique going to the senators. Seems interesting that multiple people have been looking at that possibility.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
No way Murray would ever let it get out that Gibson was a possible piece in a trade, that's how you know that rumor was junk.

Reactions: Kalv

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think Bob is that hotheaded. Maybe a barstool gets thrown in his house.
No but he's incredibly old school. I mean this is the guy that didnt trade Nieds, Teemu or Getzlaf in their final contract years even though we had zero chance at the playoffs those years, and could have easily had an extra 3-4 1st to make his job easier. Not to mention he already nixed that trade with the hurricanes a few years ago for this exact same reason.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
No but he's incredibly old school. I mean this is the guy that didnt trade Nieds, Teemu or Getzlaf in their final contract years even though we had zero chance at the playoffs those years, and could have easily had an extra 3-4 1st to make his job easier. Not to mention he already nixed that trade with the hurricanes a few years ago for this exact same reason.
The Carolina thing didn't happen because faulk didnt want to come here. Bob isn't emotional enough to kill a huge trade like jack eichel because names got leaked. He may not like or be happy about it, but that's it.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Seen a couple things from our media (Stephens) and Ottawa media about the possibility of Henrique going to the senators. Seems interesting that multiple people have been looking at that possibility.
I could see it. They have a lot of cap space, with only Tkachuk and Batherson as the important pieces to re-sign. They could use another center like Henrique. not sure what that return would like though, 2nd and a c prospect or something?

Reactions: Getz2noone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad