Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread II - Eichel-watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
Laine on playing under Tortorella

Saila: (thread) Quotes from a Patrik Laine interview in his hometown newspaper Aamulehti on playing under John Tortorella in Columbus last year.
** translating original article from here.
“I guess everyone should have the same rules … But of course, you always hope that you can make the best possible use of your own strengths. Tortorella gave no freedom to anyone”
“Forwards want to create offence. You have to “cheat” a little bit if you are going to be a top scorer. This is not possible if coaching thinks differently. But I do as they tell me to.”
“I understand tight mold on the other hand, but all the players are different. I don’t even want to be the same as everyone else. I am who I am – and I do things the way I do. Everyone should be allowed to be themselves. Of course, you must stay in the team’s game system.”
“I think it would be stupid not to use my potential. Although it’s another thing of what coaching staff thinks.”

Reactions: cheesymc

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Well you strongly implied you would still support a deal but just not with Zegras. Perhaps you meant you couldn't see a deal under any f*cking circumstances if he has a "potentially serious" neck issue. If so, I stand corrected.

potential is an incredibly vague word. Is it 1%, 10%, 50%? It would all come down to how the ducks medical experts felt. I couldn’t even speculate what I would be comfortable seeing the ducks trade without knowing their medical experts diagnosis.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
potential is an incredibly vague word. Is it 1%, 10%, 50%? It would all come down to how the ducks medical experts felt.

Well, "potential" was your word. The real issue is: has 4 months of rest and rehab healed the disc issue in his neck. If not, then surgery is almost certainly in his future. If he is not healed right now then you don't trade for him. I'm guessing you'd agree that you wouldn't commit to a $50 million contract and the trading of prime assets for a player who is "damaged goods" (not "potential" damaged goods but real live honest damaged goods). Anyway, I'd hope you agree with that.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Well, "potential" was your word. The real issue is: has 4 months of rest and rehab healed the disc issue in his neck. If not, then surgery is almost certainly in his future. If he is not healed right now then you don't trade for him. I'm guessing you'd agree that you wouldn't commit to a $50 million contract and the trading of prime assets for a player who is "damaged goods" (not "potential" damaged goods but real live honest damaged goods). Anyway, I'd hope you agree with that.

“potential” was actually the word used by a previous poster I was responding to.

I’m not going to play armchair doctor on Eichel, I’ll let the actual doctors do that.

Would I trade for him if he is “damaged goods”, likely no. But again, it would largely come down to how the the team doctors feel about his probability of a full recovery.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The Eichel situation is a divisive subject and I guess I've been the loudest in the minority viewpoint. Either way, the trade or non-trade will define the team for the next several years.

The good news? Only 8 days to go...

It seems largely only divisive to you. There are plenty of posters with varying opinions on the subject and seem to be getting along just fine…

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I feel like LA is still the team to beat for Eichel with Minn the darkhorse.

The Kings have the ability to trade very good assets (Turcotte, Kaliyev, 8th pick, and some other nice prospects or picks) while still icing a team with Doughty, Kopitar, Arvidsson, Brown, Byfield (who would not be traded) and other guys ready to step up. Eichel is young enough to change their rebuild into a retool. And if they acquire Eichel, losing turcotte is not a big deal given that for the foreseabble future, LA would ice Eichel, Kopitar, Byfield, and Vilardi or Kupari. What other team would beat that center core in the next 5 years?

The kings have the best offer to make if the ducks won't add zegras/drysdale (which they should not). I understand LA is telling everyone they aren't interested. That is exactly what they should be saying. But at the end of the day, I think they can make the strongest offer and they should because of where their team is.

Reactions: Trojans86 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

The Kings have the ability to trade very good assets (Turcotte, Kaliyev, 8th pick, and some other nice prospects or picks) while still icing a team with Doughty, Kopitar, Arvidsson, Brown, Byfield (who would not be traded) and other guys ready to step up. Eichel is young enough to change their rebuild into a retool. And if they acquire Eichel, losing turcotte is not a big deal given that for the foreseabble future, LA would ice Eichel, Kopitar, Byfield, and Vilardi or Kupari. What other team would beat that center core in the next 5 years?

The kings have the best offer to make if the ducks won't add zegras/drysdale (which they should not). I understand LA is telling everyone they aren't interested. That is exactly what they should be saying. But at the end of the day, I think they can make the strongest offer and they should because of where their team is.
Agreed. I think Vegas will be in the mix as well.

I wonder if they trade Fleury to save some cap.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Is Tomd is the offseason version or dirk? Just not making friends with any posts.
There's a confluence of age, ignorance and ego that can tip someone who's just an annoying guy who thinks he's onto something big over the edge into crackpot territory. The crackpot just HAS to argue against a point no one's making and he has to do it at level 10 while everyone else is at like a 2.

Reactions: Trojans86
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I believe them if they're saying they're not really interested. Eichel's a center, a 1C at that, and that's really the one thing they don't need and they're not looking at other ones. You can always move guys around, although it's not always ideal and in this case really might not be, but between that, between his cap hit and his injury, I think it'd be pretty easy for them to go another way. Don't block Byfield, add another winger and use their assets to fix their D. Adding Eichel complicates all of that.

Reactions: GermanRocket7
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I just don’t see us landing Eichel. Maybe the third overall is enticing to Buffalo, but who’s to say they just turn around, trade it, and gain more assets with it?

I think other teams have better assets to give up rather than us. I think it’s rather naive to think that we are the best place to land him when you have a team like Vegas who can get anyone and everyone it seems.

the lack of medical information too is concerning

Reactions: Kalv

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I just don’t see us landing Eichel. Maybe the third overall is enticing to Buffalo, but who’s to say they just turn around, trade it, and gain more assets with it?

I think other teams have better assets to give up rather than us. I think it’s rather naive to think that we are the best place to land him when you have a team like Vegas who can get anyone and everyone it seems.

the lack of medical information too is concerning

Just because we don't have the medical information doesn't mean the teams don't. I'm sure Buffalo is being as tight lipped as possible about this, knowing that if they are dealing him they really do need to hit it out of the park.

Last edited:

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I dont see LA as a good spot for Eichel. Now I do think they may sign Landeskog, Which would suck for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad