2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They'll have a list of
Raanta, vlader, Halak, Rask (unlikely), Hutton or Ulmark, Reimer, Mrazek, Subban, Dubnyk, Francouz or Grubauer(unlikely), khudobin, Bernier, Greiss(unlikely), koskinen, Smith, stalock, dreidger, talbot, Allen, Rinne, elliot, Desmith, Jones, Nilsson, Campbell(probably gets protected but who knows), Andersen, Rittich, Holtby, and Samsonov
To choose from.
The possibility for a few more names like quick To be exposed as well.
I may be missing some solid young guys who are doing good in the ahl/europe.

Alot of them are expiring ufa, really old, just bad or a combo of all 3.
Obviously i expect some teams to shuffle goalies around. No way washington doesn't trade samsonov to a team before the expansion draft, or work out a trade with Seattle to not take him at the very least.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Adin Hill/Kuemper/Raanta will be available from Arizona.
Kivlenieks from CBJ
Dobby from DAL
Sam Montembeault from FLA
Talbot from MIN
Allen or Lindgren from MTL
Murray/Gustavsson/Daccord/Forsberg from OTT
Sandstrom from PHI
DeSmith from PIT
Ville Husso from STL
Jack Campbell or Hutchinson from TOR
Holtby from VAN
Vanecek from WSH

Elliott, Bernier, Mike Smith, Chris Driedger, Dubnyk, Halak, Hutton, Reimer are UFAs

I haven't f***ed around with the expansion simulator to see what teams have obvious F or D exposures, but there's a f*** ton of cheaper goalies available.

Some of the Sens goalies or Vanecek/Samsonov look interesting. The others i wouldn't take over Dobbie imho or in Campbell case won't be available. Michael Hitchinson is not going to be the pick from the Leafs.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Just for fun, these are current stats of the ones mentioned.

Hill - 24-.915
Kuemper - 30 - .907
Raanta Arizona. - 31 -.905
Kivlenieks from CBJ ?
Dobby from DAL - 34 - .907
Sam Montembeault from FLA ?
Talbot from MIN - 33 - .926
Allen - 30 - .913
Lindgren ?
Murray - 26 - .893
Gustavsson - 22 - .910
Daccord - 24 - .897
Forsberg - 28 - .946
Sandstrom from PHI ?
DeSmith from PIT 29 - .914
Ville Husso from STL - 25 - .887
Jack Campbell - 29 - .922
Hutchinson - 30 - .919
Holtby from VAN - 31 - .904
Vanecek from WSH - 25 - .910

If, like the VGK, they want a name to market, at the goalie position, Holtby, Murray, Dobby, maybe Talbot, would go. If they also want a younger guy to stick around, there are some options for the 1B type. Dobby's best chance to go is in the first category, but he probably isn't as big a name as Holtby, even if he has played better.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Why would we do that?

Dickinson is likely going to be available anyways. Seattle could just take him under their own accord. At which point, Dobby free to a good home is about as good a scenario as one could hope for.

I'm not really into paying Seattle to take a specific guy unless the price is unexpectedly low. Let the chips fall where they may. If Dobby isn't taken, try to move him to a team that just lost their goalie.

Reactions: BigMacOnIce

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I have no interest in sending stuff to Seattle. A player is going to have to be lost no matter what. Don't amplify the loss by giving them more. I don't think there's a single player at risk of being lost who is worth a big effort to save.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I have no interest in sending stuff to Seattle. A player is going to have to be lost no matter what. Don't amplify the loss by giving them more. I don't think there's a single player at risk of being lost who is worth a big effort to save.

This is exactly how Vegas became a powerhouse overnight. Teams thought they were being clever by moving out 2-3 assets or protecting the wrong thing and it tended to always backfire.

The way Dallas handled the first expansion draft was perfect. They got two years out of Eakin and that was it.

The Methot deal was really separate from any expansion considerations, and even that netted them very little (a minor piece in the Stone deal and a long-shot goalie prospect).

There's no need to overcomplicate it. If they take Khudobin, awesome. If they take a forward, alright. Maybe they risk taking Oleksiak's UFA rights, who knows. No need to assess the roster and make changes until after the expansion draft.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
There's no need to overcomplicate it. If they take Khudobin, awesome. If they take a forward, alright. Maybe they risk taking Oleksiak's UFA rights, who knows. No need to assess the roster and make changes until after the expansion draft.

This 100%

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
My thinking is the Stars need to move Dobby. They will probably lose Dicky. Make a deal with them to take Dobby and trade them Dicky. I don’t think Dicky is hard to replace and the Stars could use salary relief by moving Dobby

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
To be fair, Dallas didn't need to do anything. Vegas had nothing else to take.

Even for teams that supposedly did have quality to lose, what did they do? Made moves that burned them hard. Anaheim with Theodore and Minnesota with Tuch. Nevermind the teams that gave away firsts.

I don't even really think we have anything to lose this year either, so just let them take whoever they want and worry about the rest later.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Earlier in the year I didn’t mind the idea of losing Dickinson as much as I do now . He’s been playing really good . One thing about Dickinson is he basically never f***s up . I’d probably put him above faksa now in terms of defensive awareness .

Reactions: Johno

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Even for teams that supposedly did have quality to lose, what did they do? Made moves that burned them hard. Anaheim with Theodore and Minnesota with Tuch. Nevermind the teams that gave away firsts.

I don't even really think we have anything to lose this year either, so just let them take whoever they want and worry about the rest later.

I was thinking the other night about how good Florida might be if they hadn't traded away 2/3rds of a scoring line and a good coach to Vegas. Really galaxy brained that expansion draft.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I was thinking the other night about how good Florida might be if they hadn't traded away 2/3rds of a scoring line and a good coach to Vegas. Really galaxy brained that expansion draft.

Management was told to cut salary by ownership and they did. They cleared to highly paid players with that move. Now of course they're also good hockey players but it was a big move to cut salary.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Dickinson is likely going to be available anyways. Seattle could just take him under their own accord. At which point, Dobby free to a good home is about as good a scenario as one could hope for.

I'm not really into paying Seattle to take a specific guy unless the price is unexpectedly low. Let the chips fall where they may. If Dobby isn't taken, try to move him to a team that just lost their goalie.

Agree we shouldn't pay Seattle not to take someone. My question to your post was in the idea that we should give a good asset like Dobby away for free. Yes, sometimes goalies don't have that much value, but even a low pick is better than nothing if other teams know we are in a pinch. I don't think GM's value assets as lightly as you do.

Seattle is going to do what is best for them. I postulated that they might want Dobby or Pavs for some name recognition, a la Fleury in LV. They will want some, albeit, it may not come from the Stars. Based on actual play and age, Oleksiak should be their top choice, providing they could negotiate his contract prior.

TBH, even though Pavs is our leading scorer, he is 38, I would bet on his decline, and that we just got the best year we were going to out of that contract, including monster playoffs and this regular season. Save the $7 Mil and move on. At the very least, I would expose him on the assumption SEA wouldn't want his contract. Or, give them that mid round pick we get from someone else for Dobby.

I know this raises the philosophical question of relative value - 3-8 more years of a solid, unspectacular forward, vs. one year of Pavs. I tend to think more years from the younger Dicky, while not as sexy, would probably prove more valuable to the franchise.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Management was told to cut salary by ownership and they did. They cleared to highly paid players with that move. Now of course they're also good hockey players but it was a big move to cut salary.

That makes some sense. Do you happen to know if it was very sudden? Because it was just plain bad asset management, if they had a year to trade those guys away, I think they could have done a much better job for returns.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That makes some sense. Do you happen to know if it was very sudden? Because it was just plain bad asset management, if they had a year to trade those guys away, I think they could have done a much better job for returns.

That was when they first fired Galant and then replaced him with the GM who they then fired at the end of the season . The new GM was told to cut everything down again. At least thats how i remember it

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm not sure what this obsession with dickinson is.
He's not a good player, he's not a bad player either. He's just sort of there.
He's a very replaceable player.
If Seattle wants values a player that can get 10 of in ufa every year, let them have him

Reactions: Morry83

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'm not sure what this obsession with dickinson is.
He's not a good player, he's not a bad player either. He's just sort of there.
He's a very replaceable player.
If Seattle wants values a player that can get 10 of in ufa every year, let them have him
Don’t think anyone’s obsessed. I think he’s a good player , not a great player . If we traded a 4th for them to pick khudobin I’d be happy to keep Dickinson rather than replacing him with a new player who has to acclimate himself into the locker room/systems. Keeping a well gelled team together is under rated IMO.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Agree we shouldn't pay Seattle not to take someone. My question to your post was in the idea that we should give a good asset like Dobby away for free. Yes, sometimes goalies don't have that much value, but even a low pick is better than nothing if other teams know we are in a pinch. I don't think GM's value assets as lightly as you do.

Seattle is going to do what is best for them. I postulated that they might want Dobby or Pavs for some name recognition, a la Fleury in LV. They will want some, albeit, it may not come from the Stars. Based on actual play and age, Oleksiak should be their top choice, providing they could negotiate his contract prior.

TBH, even though Pavs is our leading scorer, he is 38, I would bet on his decline, and that we just got the best year we were going to out of that contract, including monster playoffs and this regular season. Save the $7 Mil and move on. At the very least, I would expose him on the assumption SEA wouldn't want his contract. Or, give them that mid round pick we get from someone else for Dobby.

I know this raises the philosophical question of relative value - 3-8 more years of a solid, unspectacular forward, vs. one year of Pavs. I tend to think more years from the younger Dicky, while not as sexy, would probably prove more valuable to the franchise.
Pavelski's contract runs out in 2022. Dickinson is an RFA this summer but will hit UFA age in 2023. Dickinson's time as a Star could run out in two seasons. A flat cap will limit what teams can offer him, but it can be surprising what some GMs will pay for checking line players in free agency.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Agree with others about let Seattle take whoever and deal with other issues later.

But how about offering them Lindell along with 2yrs of Dobbys contract? Would open just over 9+ in cap, for two seasons, in which we could sign Oleksiak and still have a good bit of money. Wouldn’t get tied to Lindell and his NMC contract for years and move Dobby.

Would be a move I’d make... if Seattle was interested of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad