2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Recency bias aside, Dickinson is the most dime-a-dozen type player on our team. He doesn’t do anything exceptionally well, he’s average all across the board. Shouldn’t be an anchor point of discussion at all.
The way mascherin is playing for Texas I would almost rather they take Dickinson than mascherin.
Seattle could take Mascherin also in this situation

Delly should be able to replace Dickinson

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I don’t think we give khudobin enough slack for fatigue like we do some of the others tbh. He isn’t a elite goalie he is allowed to have a down season- it happens all the time. I think next season as a 1B to lighten Bishops load he would do great which he hasn’t had the opportunity to do this season.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don’t think we give khudobin enough slack for fatigue like we do some of the others tbh. He isn’t a elite goalie he is allowed to have a down season- it happens all the time. I think next season as a 1B to lighten Bishops load he would do great which he hasn’t had the opportunity to do this season.
He's played a grand total of 37.5 minutes more than oettinger.
He's not been paying some exuberant amount

Reactions: Satan

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Doesnt really matter if he would do good next year because oettenger is capable and keeping khudobins contract is pointless . Next year is oettengers last season on his elc. We have to take advantage of that .

Reactions: DieselPig

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
He's played a grand total of 37.5 minutes more than oettinger.
He's not been paying some exuberant amount
He played 940 minutes more than his previous career high through the playoffs and had a grand total of 40 minutes playoff experience before last season.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
It’s gotta be tough for a GM. If Nill sees a healthy Bishop and Otter next season then yeah get what you can for Khudobin and open up cap.

If I could get a fair trade for Lindell and resign Oleksiak I would as well. Klingberg and Oleksiak could be a pair as well as Heiskanen with Hanley/Harley or a d-man we may pick up in a trade or sign heading into next season. Hanley has looked good enough this season I wouldn’t mind him paired with Heiskanen to start the season. Harley may not grab that spot to start but it’s a chance I’d take that he eventually does.

Last edited:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Earlier in the year I was thinking the Stars should try and pickup a UFA C for next year to help their scoring, but Benn's been quite good as a C. Hintz-Seguin-Benn-Faksa could be up there for best C depth in the league.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
X-Seguin-Radulov
X-Benn-Gurianov
X-Faksa-X

X: Kiviranta, Dickinson, Dellandrea, L'Esperance, Gardner

Would still like to see a scoring forward brought in, but if the Stars roll out that group of forwards and are able to re-sign Oleksiak and Vatanen the Stars could be in real good shape next year.

Reactions: Johno

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Should be able to make a deal with Seattle for them to select Khudobin in the expansion draft if we give them a draft pick. No point in bringing him back unless they are really worried about Bishop’s health and see him going back on LTIR.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The "dammed if I do, dammed if I don't" side of my brain believes Bishop's health and play are inversely proportional to the chance of losing Dobby. In other words, if we keep him, we won't need him, but if we trade him off somehow, then Bishop will never be quite right again.

Reactions: BrettHullsToe

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The "dammed if I do, dammed if I don't" side of my brain believes Bishop's health and play are inversely proportional to the chance of losing Dobby. In other words, if we keep him, we won't need him, but if we trade him off somehow, then Bishop will never be quite right again.
I guess the real question is whether the team thinks Oettinger is ready to step up next season. If they truly believe in him, then you find a way to move Khudobin.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think a huge reason why they decided to shut bishop down was to insure that he would be fully recovered and ready to play next season .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think you have to find a way to get rid of Khudobin's contract unless you think Oettinger is better served in the AHL, but you'd have a hard time convincing me of that at this point. He isn't perfect but absolutely has been good enough to develop in the NHL. Goalies are black magic though, Khudobin looked like a world-beater mere months ago, but he's been just ok this season. If I'm Nill, I find a way to get rid of Khudobin and get the best AHL goalie money can buy for when Bishop inevitably gets injured and you need a competent backup behind Oettinger. There's good cap to be saved that can be used elsewhere from trading away Khudobin, for that reason alone it seems worth risking the goaltending depth to me. I think his contract is tradable if he isn't taken in the expansion draft, you might not get much, but it certainly isn't an albatross.

I guess it's a question of if you value goaltending depth more than ~$2.4M in additional cap space from trading Khudobin and using Oettinger as your 1B goalie until he takes over as full time starter. Oettinger in the AHL isn't the end of the world at all, though. Nill has left himself open to make the decision either way. The only goaltender signed past this year in the AHL is Adam Scheel, who we just signed from UND. Point's contract is up at the end of the year. If we renew Point, then Khudobin has to go, can't imagine Point would agree to play in the ECHL at this point in his career otherwise, and I doubt Scheel would have agreed to that before signing here.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Honestly, I think they do need to kiss Dobby goodbye. If they don't, its because they know something about Bishop's injury they haven't been telling anyone.

Goaltending depth in a flat cap year is not that feasible, and we just have to hope Bishop comes back strong. It may not be an all or nothing, as in he doesn't hit the ice much next year. The more likely scenario is that he is less than Vezina effective next year, due to age and injury recovery.

They have no reason to doubt Otter as a starter or 1B, however it works out, and there is no chance they put an NHL caliber goalie back in the AHL, especially on his entry level contract. Of course, he could turn out to be a one season wonder like so many other goalies have been, and that, and/or combined with a declining Bishop will put us back on the goalie carousel.

If the worst happens to both of them, we are back to the bankruptcy years in goalie quality, but even so, they have to play the percentages, and keeping Bish and Otter is the highest percentage move, if not a complete guarantee of goalie stability.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The best way to handle the goalie situation is to make sure Seattle picks Khudobin.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I hope pick would do the trick. Not like Dobby is a big anchor.

I don't think a pick gets it done unless they can't convince Jamie Oleksiak to sign a contract in their 3 day window and really hate Adam Mascherin.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think a pick gets it done unless they can't convince Jamie Oleksiak to sign a contract in their 3 day window and really hate Adam Mascherin.

Oleksiak i don't think signs with Seattle. He either comes back or goes full open market is my guess.

Mascherin i don't know if he's a guy Seattle would pick. He's having a great year in the AHL but he's far from a guarantee to ever be an actual NHL player and he turns 23 in June. Maybe they take that gamble. Dunno . I wouldn't .

Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Oleksiak i don't think signs with Seattle. He either comes back or goes full open market is my guess.

Mascherin i don't know if he's a guy Seattle would pick. He's having a great year in the AHL but he's far from a guarantee to ever be an actual NHL player and he turns 23 in June. Maybe they take that gamble. Dunno . I wouldn't .

Why take Dobby's contract though? There will be so many younger, cheaper goalies available to select from. If Seattle wants a veteran backup, they can sign one after the expansion draft for 1-2M.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why take Dobby's contract though? There will be so many younger, cheaper goalies available to select from. If Seattle wants a veteran backup, they can sign one after the expansion draft for 1-2M.

I looked through the expansion draft simulator and honestly not really. Seattle either takes one or two Holtby , Dobby , Talbot , Greiss types or guys with zero NHL experience or close to that.

Guess they can sign someone as free agent but the options to pick in the expansion draft for goalies will be either old , not good or completely inexperienced.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Is there any source with a decent list of who is projected to be available at this point league-wide? I know it'll probably be like 75% right at best, but I'd be curious to know what goalies are expected to be available around the league.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I looked through the expansion draft simulator and honestly not really. Seattle either takes one or two Holtby , Dobby , Talbot , Greiss types or guys with zero NHL experience or close to that.

Guess they can sign someone as free agent but the options to pick in the expansion draft for goalies will be either old , not good or completely inexperienced.

Adin Hill/Kuemper/Raanta will be available from Arizona.
Kivlenieks from CBJ
Dobby from DAL
Sam Montembeault from FLA
Talbot from MIN
Allen or Lindgren from MTL
Murray/Gustavsson/Daccord/Forsberg from OTT
Sandstrom from PHI
DeSmith from PIT
Ville Husso from STL
Jack Campbell or Hutchinson from TOR
Holtby from VAN
Vanecek from WSH

Elliott, Bernier, Mike Smith, Chris Driedger, Dubnyk, Halak, Hutton, Reimer are UFAs

I haven't f***ed around with the expansion simulator to see what teams have obvious F or D exposures, but there's a f*** ton of cheaper goalies available.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

They could double dip on picks, especially if they're willing to retain. Take a pick from the Stars to select Dobby, then trade him with retention for another pick. Vegas selected extra defenders just to trade for picks, Seattle could do the same with goaltenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad