2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I guess the only good thing about him signing a contract after the age of 35 is we can buy him out with no cap hit if we do buy him out. But I still don't like it.

You can't. It's a 35+ contract. Zero savings from a buyout and only $100K in savings if you bury.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I did learn something new though on CapFriendly. Age isn't the only factor in a 35+ contract. If the following two conditions are met ... that doesn't apply.

If the contract is not front-loaded, and there are no signing bonuses in Year 2 or later, the conditions of the 35+ contract don't apply.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Here's the 35+ rules if you're interested:

Will not benefit from a reduced cap hit regardless of the players location of play, termination, retired status, or a buyout. This rule was introduced by the NHL to prevent teams from backloading contracts past when the player was expected to retire. An exception to this rule is that a team will receive a $100,000 cap hit reduction if the player is on the 2nd or later year of the contract and assigned to the minors

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Theoretically, Suter could sign a $16 million contract for 4 years paying him $4 million in each year with no signing bonus other than in Year 1, and it would not be a 35+ contract.

A buyout would cost $1,333,333 per year over twice the remaining term.

Reactions: DieselPig

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder what the exact definition of front-loaded is according to the CBA. Does it only refer to Year 1 or say in a 4-year deal, does Y1+Y2 have to be equal to or lower than Y3+Y4?

2+4+3.5+2 ... would that cause it to be a 35+?

2+4+3+3 ... what about this?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Here's the thing I don't understand though .... You and I agree on this. The only place we diverge is you somehow seem to think Nill is due an infinite amount of do-overs. Most ownership groups are NOT this patient. Patience can definitely be a good thing.

If you don't think though that 9 years into Nill' tenure he should be in the hot seat when they aren't even consistently in the playoffs, that's fine, but 9 years in you don't get to throw around little BS jabs about real GMing vs HF Boards GMing. It's silly. There's zero chance that ownership hasn't had the same discussions weighing his performance. This just feels like more of the same attitude of langue policing from a few months ago. These aren't outlandish, pie-in-the-sky conversations that are typical of HF or Twitter. Every other person I've seen discuss it has at least come with something other than dismissive insults about what it's like in the real world.

Not an insult really, just a POV that allows for things that always tend to disorder, as is typical in both the world, and for GM's, and I gave some examples. In Nill's 9 years, three teams have won it twice (CHI, PIT, TB), and 3 have won it once (WSH-STL-LAK, and if you go back to 2012, LAK would be another two time winner.

So yeah, fans want multiple Cups, but it is a 9% chance, and another 9% to have won at least one. In getting to the finals, Bruins did it twice, and 7 teams did it once, so there is a 25% chance of any team getting as far as DAL did last year. Again, we can argue whether Nill is top 6 GM(based on 18%) or only a top 16 (i.e., borderline playoff team in and out) but success is hard.

So the only real question for TG is, do they have a better chance in the next 3-5 years with a new GM and coach, or keeping Nill and Co. and tweaking? Around here, the Cowboys had better sustained success (although seemingly "could have won more Super Bowls" with stability. For the rest, we have one NBA champ, two WS finals, both two years before Nill got here, both with I think sort of a mix of GM's and coaches.

I'm not sure Nill will ever bring a Cup either, but have some doubts that churning the front office is necessarily going to be better. The odds would be better if we got both a GM and he brings a coach that has won a Cup, I suppose. I would have to look at how "retreads" do, but JQ hasn't brought a Cup to Florida, for one. As to coaches, Trotz seems to have brought a style of play from Washington to the Isles that has increased their chances of success, but they still haven't gotten by Tampa.

I understand the other points of view that if he hasn't done it by now, it probably won't happen, and if TG decides Nill has to go (I sense he may wait and allow him a more graceful retirement) I'm not going to be here bellyaching that he should have stayed, and we might all be discussing if the new GM and coach were the best possible choice. It seems to me we thought Nill was the cat's meow at the time, but he hasn't overcome the overwhelming statistics that it is hard to win in this league.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'd take a chance on Michael Bunting for a 2/3 LW to pair next to Seguin or Benn. He can't cost too much with having so few games played in the NHL

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Wait ... wasn't Benn on a line with Getzlaf and Perry at the Olympics when they won gold?

I know you're being a smart ass .... but that abso-freaking-lutely could be on their mind.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I mean ... financially because of bonuses it theoretically could work so don't be jokin'.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Gurianov-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
Kiviranta-Faksa-Comeau
Kero

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
In response to a comment on churning, here are the main player changes from year to year:

Gone from 2020-2021 - Perry, Janmark

Gone from 2019-2020-Johns, Polak

Gone from 2018-2019 - Bayreuther, Carrick, Cracknell, Hanzel, Heatherington, Honka, Nuke, Ritchie, Shore, Smith, Spezza, Zuch (part year)

Gone from 2017-2018 - Jordie Benn, Eakin, Eaves, Elie, Hamuis, Lehtonen, Niemi, Nemeth, Sharp

From this, you do get the feeling (and also from Nill's comments) that he had rebuilt the team from Ruff's 2016 version to the post 2018 Hitch/Monty style of play in a few years, and figures (or hopes, because he may be out of ammo) it is a contender worth keeping together.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I’d be pumped if we signed perry and getzlaf . I think that’s a better route than committing 6m to an over rated Blake Coleman for 5 years .

Reactions: Satan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad