Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Have to give more credit to guys like Rakell who said they want to stay and see the rebuild through, would love to extend him if the price is not too crazy.

If Gibson on the other hand, truly feels this way and is just gonna phone it in, and put on his puss face, then he can get the F out. I get he wants to win, but he should be a little patient and will still be in his prime when the Ducks are competitive again. I mean this young group, is something to be excited about, especially if you are a veteran player.

Gibby is wired differently. I won't try to read too much into it. Although, I would much rather have him step up and be a leader because he is still the one player who many still consider elite. Not every goalie can be a leader like JS Giguere, but Gibby has it in him to still be elite and win games. He just needs to have that mental fortitude to push through, regardless. Of course, our backup netminder has that attitude as Stolarz has had to battle back from knee surgery (ies?).

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Yep, one can easily read between the lines that he's not on board. I agree, he should probably try to be traded, and would be great to get some quality assets in return.

My feelings are mixed on his attitude. I don't really blame him at all for wanting out. He's a world class GT that's literally being wasted in the prime of his career. Sure, this team could be exciting in a few years, but he's going on 3 yrs in now on a collapse/rebuild. That said, he signed a long term contract and should be prepared to play it out and give his best effort, too.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yep, one can easily read between the lines that he's not on board. I agree, he should probably try to be traded, and would be great to get some quality assets in return.

My feelings are mixed on his attitude. I don't really blame him at all for wanting out. He's a world class GT that's literally being wasted in the prime of his career. Sure, this team could be exciting in a few years, but he's going on 3 yrs in now on a collapse/rebuild. That said, he signed a long term contract and should be prepared to play it out and give his best effort, too.
Agreed well said

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What’s the asset we’re getting for taking on Koskinen? Is it the late first? That’s what makes it trash. We’re taking a bad goalie making good money + giving up Gibson for a late first and good prospect. For this type of deal I’d expect at least a blue chip back or at least some proven young player in the deal

edit; I didn’t know Kosk was UFA after this year but the point still stands, he has no value or negative value
Ya his value is more or less just to make the trade workable from an Edmonton’s standpoint… also works as a place holder for us so we don’t have to rush dostal.

As for what we are getting to take him…. Essentially the high end prospect instead of a b prospect… there could be an add of an asset but it wouldn’t be anything crazy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
For whatever reason Gibson never really endeared himself to me as a Duck. He is absolutely elite (when he wants to be) but quits on the team for long stretches, which doesn't sit right with me.
I mean to me gibson just strikes me as someone who wants to win and loyalty to a team isn’t something that he puts as a priority.

a guy like getzlaf enjoyed anaheim and wanted to play his career here, I never really got that vibe from gibson…. And it got worse as the team got worse.

Not saying it’s a bad thing but I do think the team needs to explore trade options, before he asks for a trade and devalues himself more

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Eh, I’d be more upset about Gibson if we didn’t have Dostal in the organization.

I can’t really blame Gibson too much, he’s been used to winning for a long time, and not only are we losing now, but he’s also regularly hung out to dry. I wish he had a better attitude about it, but part of that attitude is why he had success in the first place.

Like others have said, I’ve never felt a super strong connection to Gibson, and that’s ok. Not every player will be super likable (not saying he’s a bad guy or anything). If he wants to go elsewhere, then so be it. This team won’t be good and if he doesn’t want to deal with that, then we should go with someone who is hungrier to prove himself.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
*sorry for the wall of text

I want to hold on to Gibson until dostal is ready but if the right deal came through I’d be down to move on provided we have an immediate veteran replacement.

Put bluntly he is letting his chance at being our franchise player slip through his hands. We are acquiring better and younger players and I suspect that dostal will be the starting goalie once our skater core starts to break out.

I appreciate that he is applying pressure to push his teammates to be better but I sincerely hope he reflects on his lackadaisical play in net which HAS cost us games. For how crappy our skaters are, when I watch it doesn’t seem to be due to a lack of effort, which does seem to be the case with him.

i just find it a little weird that he decided to wait until we were 2/3 through the rebuild to speak up about his dissatisfaction. Like- we already have good players can’t he wait just one more year?

He probably should have indicated that he wasn’t down to lose years ago when it became clear we needed a rebuild. Instead he indicated that he wanted to be a part of our future core and bring us back to the playoffs. It’s unfortunate he had a change of heart.

Hopefully everything turns out okay but this seems like the beginning of the end for John here in Anaheim. Full respect to him though he deserves to take his career ambitions as far as they can go.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Trade him - it’s the best way to maximise assets. Decent enough goalies are easy to find. Go out and get one of the Stars guys or take an asset from Edmonton to acquire Koskinen and run with Stalock and the new acquisition for the rest of the year until the off-season where there will be another goalie carousel.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Lmao just trade him, I really don’t blame him, I would do the same, he probably thought the ducks wouldn’t have fallen off a cliff when he signed that deal. A lot of you guys got pissed/ are pissed that BM didn’t make any moves, imagine how frustrating it must be to be a player of his caliber to see that happen. If he wants to leave, i say let him leave and get the best deal possible (no Pittsburgh)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I finally got around to reading the article on Gibby by Stephens. I didn't get the feeling he was throwing the team under the bus and wants to get away from Anaheim - and I was looking for it. Gibby thinks and behaves differently, think of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. In the article, Gibby cites how he resets his mind for every season to give him the hope of going to win the Cup, identified he needs to be better along with everyone else if they're to go back to winning ways. Also, he would rather be on the ice more than split the ice 50/50.

I don't recall anywhere in the article about Gibby wanting to leave the Ducks.

It maybe that Stephens psychologically set us up in his tweet/athletic live thingie. All I got from it is a player who really wants to win, realizes he's in a rebuild mode, but always needs everybody, including himself, to step up in order to become a winning org.

Reactions: ayrton2388

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
To Philly for Carter Hart +

But they are in a simiar situation. Or in an Eichel Deal, obviously.

Oct 18, 2011
Unfortunately his stat line from last 2 seasons is also trash

I mean what are you expecting 4 1sts?
Yeah except NHL teams are intelligent enough to know how awful this team has been which is why they seemingly keep trying to get him if you believe certain sources

Oct 18, 2011
Have to give more credit to guys like Rakell who said they want to stay and see the rebuild through, would love to extend him if the price is not too crazy.

If Gibson on the other hand, truly feels this way and is just gonna phone it in, and put on his puss face, then he can get the F out. I get he wants to win, but he should be a little patient and will still be in his prime when the Ducks are competitive again. I mean this young group, is something to be excited about, especially if you are a veteran player.
How long should he be patient playing behind a team that has hung him out to dry for the last 3+ years. I'm glad he isn't accepting losing

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I mean to me gibson just strikes me as someone who wants to win and loyalty to a team isn’t something that he puts as a priority.

a guy like getzlaf enjoyed anaheim and wanted to play his career here, I never really got that vibe from gibson…. And it got worse as the team got worse.

Not saying it’s a bad thing but I do think the team needs to explore trade options, before he asks for a trade and devalues himself more

Big difference between Gibson and Getzlaf is that Getz won the cup very early in his career and has won gold with team Canada. Gibson hasn't won the cup and hasn't won gold since U20s. It is easier for Getzlaf to have that team mentality when he has had all kinds of success through his career while Gibson hasn't and he's worried that he will waste most of his career in a team uncapable of winning. Gibson's attitude would probably be different if he won the cup in 2017 for example.

I get Gibson's frustration, I think we have seen it in his on ice performances when he just seems frustrated and gives up. I would too be annoyed if I felt like the rest of the team wasn't trying and I had to face 40+ shots every night because of it. I would want to give up too and call people out. I hope that someone explains to him how rebuilds work and that the team is close to turning it around (I think the bottom has been reached).

If he wants to go somewhere else, that's fine. I have always felt that he's not going to spend his whole career in Anaheim. I do wish that he stays for a year though because Dostal isn't ready yet and I think that the next season will be better so maybe Gibson changes his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00