Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
This team/organization is a joke.....5 years of not scoring, playing a "old fashion" style game, and another year of no progress from its core players while having one of the worst pp's in NHL HISTORY and the message is "we will be better next year"... piss off, only in Anaheim can this happen over and over and everyone still has a job. Look forward to another frustrating season of below average hockey and players losing even more value. Ducks hockey.

There are people here who thinks we have some super stars on our roster

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Henrique and Comtois open up Canada's tournament on the top line with Brandon Pirri. Their first game starts at 8:15am PST.

Rakell and Lundestrom are on Sweden's top line along with Victor Olofsson. Their first game is tomorrow.

Reactions: lwvs84

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone have a link for worlds? please message im at work and limited capabilities.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What is the direction? Please enlighten me.

The direction of the organization has been and is to build from the net out. That's our bread and butter. Our problem was always going to be transitioning from the Twins. The org has been trying to get faster, more two-way players while hoping for their draftees to develop. Due to injuries, the Ducks have scored top-10 picks three consecutive years. They have hit on the first two with C Zegras and D Drysdale, but are waiting to see what holds for this year's draft.

Faster, two-way players are more malleable to conform to may different styles of play. The burgeoning forward youth corps has created a more positive outlook. Yet, plain and simple, the Ducks are still lacking forward talent. What I am really excited for going forward is our defense. The additions of Drysdale and Fleury helps to mitigate the huge drop in defensive play whenever we lose either Lindholm or Manson or both for an extended period of time.

The injuries to Kesler and Eaves in 2017 set everything askew. Perry dropping off the cliff in 2018 prompted the rebuild in 2019-20 and this past season. Our lack of forward talent in 2018 by missing Kelser, Eaves, and Perry helped land us the 9th pick overall in the 2019 draft, which was Zegras. In 2019-20, already lacking talent at the forward position, our defensive unit got injured en masse! That landed us with the 6th overall pick, which was Drysdale. It was year 1 of the rebuild as we pushed the youth movement. In 2020-21, we are without F Kase and F Ritchie when we traded them away at the 2019-20 TDL, so we are even more talentless at the forward position. This was year two of the youth movement. Two terrible things happened for the 2020-21 season, COVID ruined any semblance of a proper training camp and our defense got marred again with injuries. We're slated for at least a top-4 pick in this upcoming draft.

Our identity at ES is to maintain offensive possession in the offensive zone longer. Eakins has been instructing our defense to pinch to keep the puck in the offensive zone. We need our forwards to be cognizant of this and quickly fill that hole left behind by the pinching defenseman. If we keep the puck in the offensive zone longer, then the opposing team isn't scoring on us as well as give us extra opportunities to score a goal. This is Eakins' philosophy and the 29 one-goal games is a testament to that philosophy. I'm not a fan of Eakins, but this philosophy of his apparently works with the dearth of talent on the team.

Our PP has been atrocious. That's one area that GM Murray can address by finding a far better assistant coach. (One of the finalist for the Ducks coaching job had a great PP acumen and that's the guy I wanted over Eakins.) I don't know why Eakins falls short in this area, but he does.

Our PK has drastically improved between 2019-20 to 2020-21. I don't know who gets kudos for that, but kudos is warranted. Of course, having Lindholm or Manson in the lineup vastly improves our efficiency. Yet, we have found some good forward PK'ers in Lundy and Volkov.

Going into this off-season, the Ducks are going to have a lot of cap space to work with than before. Recall, this was by design. Perry's buyout increased to $6.625 in 2020-21 and we traded for Backes' $4.5 mil in order to get a late first rounder in 2020, which turned out to be RW Perreault... who is looking like a steal at 27th overall.

Going into next season, it'll be year 3 of the youth movement. Anaheim needs some top-6 talent infusion either by way of FA signing or a trade. (BTW, Anaheim flexed its muscles on its futures by being a finalist for the PLD sweepstakes by using only futures without Zegras and Drysdale.) Also, Anaheim needs to vastly improve it's PP coach. GM Murray is a tinkerer, but his vision is long term. It would be a fail in everyone's eyes if we don't acquire a top-6 talent or two this summer, though.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
The direction of the organization has been and is to build from the net out. That's our bread and butter. Our problem was always going to be transitioning from the Twins. The org has been trying to get faster, more two-way players while hoping for their draftees to develop. Due to injuries, the Ducks have scored top-10 picks three consecutive years. They have hit on the first two with C Zegras and D Drysdale, but are waiting to see what holds for this year's draft.

Faster, two-way players are more malleable to conform to may different styles of play. The burgeoning forward youth corps has created a more positive outlook. Yet, plain and simple, the Ducks are still lacking forward talent. What I am really excited for going forward is our defense. The additions of Drysdale and Fleury helps to mitigate the huge drop in defensive play whenever we lose either Lindholm or Manson or both for an extended period of time.

The injuries to Kesler and Eaves in 2017 set everything askew. Perry dropping off the cliff in 2018 prompted the rebuild in 2019-20 and this past season. Our lack of forward talent in 2018 by missing Kelser, Eaves, and Perry helped land us the 9th pick overall in the 2019 draft, which was Zegras. In 2019-20, already lacking talent at the forward position, our defensive unit got injured en masse! That landed us with the 6th overall pick, which was Drysdale. It was year 1 of the rebuild as we pushed the youth movement. In 2020-21, we are without F Kase and F Ritchie when we traded them away at the 2019-20 TDL, so we are even more talentless at the forward position. This was year two of the youth movement. Two terrible things happened for the 2020-21 season, COVID ruined any semblance of a proper training camp and our defense got marred again with injuries. We're slated for at least a top-4 pick in this upcoming draft.

Our identity at ES is to maintain offensive possession in the offensive zone longer. Eakins has been instructing our defense to pinch to keep the puck in the offensive zone. We need our forwards to be cognizant of this and quickly fill that hole left behind by the pinching defenseman. If we keep the puck in the offensive zone longer, then the opposing team isn't scoring on us as well as give us extra opportunities to score a goal. This is Eakins' philosophy and the 29 one-goal games is a testament to that philosophy. I'm not a fan of Eakins, but this philosophy of his apparently works with the dearth of talent on the team.

Our PP has been atrocious. That's one area that GM Murray can address by finding a far better assistant coach. (One of the finalist for the Ducks coaching job had a great PP acumen and that's the guy I wanted over Eakins.) I don't know why Eakins falls short in this area, but he does.

Our PK has drastically improved between 2019-20 to 2020-21. I don't know who gets kudos for that, but kudos is warranted. Of course, having Lindholm or Manson in the lineup vastly improves our efficiency. Yet, we have found some good forward PK'ers in Lundy and Volkov.

Going into this off-season, the Ducks are going to have a lot of cap space to work with than before. Recall, this was by design. Perry's buyout increased to $6.625 in 2020-21 and we traded for Backes' $4.5 mil in order to get a late first rounder in 2020, which turned out to be RW Perreault... who is looking like a steal at 27th overall.

Going into next season, it'll be year 3 of the youth movement. Anaheim needs some top-6 talent infusion either by way of FA signing or a trade. (BTW, Anaheim flexed its muscles on its futures by being a finalist for the PLD sweepstakes by using only futures without Zegras and Drysdale.) Also, Anaheim needs to vastly improve it's PP coach. GM Murray is a tinkerer, but his vision is long term. It would be a fail in everyone's eyes if we don't acquire a top-6 talent or two this summer, though.
This was a nice summation of the past three years. I already knew this, though. My question went unanswered. A direction implies something consistent. There is nothing consistent about the direction of the Duck franchise. Our direction is "to build from the net out." What? That's not a direction. And Gibson isn't an elite goaltender anymore, anyway.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Henrique and Comtois open up Canada's tournament on the top line with Brandon Pirri. Their first game starts at 8:15am PST.

Rakell and Lundestrom are on Sweden's top line along with Victor Olofsson. Their first game is tomorrow.

An all sniper line. Interested to see how that pans out.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This was a nice summation of the past three years. I already knew this, though. My question went unanswered. A direction implies something consistent. There is nothing consistent about the direction of the Duck franchise. Our direction is "to build from the net out." What? That's not a direction. And Gibson isn't an elite goaltender anymore, anyway.

I think you missed the point that we kept losing talent year after year starting in 2017-18 and our youth wasn't ready. Eakins has the team usually competing despite missing key blueliners. I hate to admit it, but the 29 one-goal games is proof of the direction the team is heading towards. Also the PK improved between the two seasons. What we lack is top-6 scoring at ES and PP, probably a better PP coach. I am no Eakins fan, but I'll give him credit for transforming into a two-way, 200-foot team. Right now, we're a lunch pail team until our offense blossoms, which includes growth and possible FA signings or talent trades.

On a GM level, Murray's accruing talent and had plans of cap space opening up in 2021 off-season. With the past two draft, his top-10 picks have been a huge success with Zegras and Drysdale. The additional first rounder in 2020 appears like a steal. During the cap strapped few years, Murray's been taking chances of trying to flip low risks into possible finds, which the probability of occurrence is low. Yet, Fleury could be that one find, making our blue line deeper.

Gibson hasn't been elite consistently.

There is direction at the HC and GM level. It's probably not up to your preference, but that doesn't discount there is direction. I'm still not an Eakins fan. LoL

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Reactions: MillvilleMiracle

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know Lindholm and Manson's deals are a year away, but do you think mgmt might consider trying to get them to sign extensions this off-season? From a money savings aspect, using COVID financial problems could lower the cost of the extension due to the uncertainty. Then tack on that they're both injury prone for the past two seasons and the AAV could come down. Yet, because they're injury prone for the past two seasons makes me not want to extend them just yet.

In re-signing both early, it shows the commitment to both players and long term plans. In not offering an extension, then we all are speculating TDL deals. hahahahah That is unless we're playoff bound. Then that might increase their values.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Adam Henrique-captained Canada loses to Germany and are now 0-3 at the Worlds, surely this failure deserves some significant money off the AAV by about 75%

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I know Lindholm and Manson's deals are a year away, but do you think mgmt might consider trying to get them to sign extensions this off-season? From a money savings aspect, using COVID financial problems could lower the cost of the extension due to the uncertainty. Then tack on that they're both injury prone for the past two seasons and the AAV could come down. Yet, because they're injury prone for the past two seasons makes me not want to extend them just yet.

I might get some heat from fellow fans, but I’m a bit hesitant to commit long term for both.

Lindholm is a key cog in our defensive core. Problem is, I feel like each injury slows him down a bit more than before. If we extend Lindholm and he keeps getting injured, it won’t age well.

Manson is the same old story with me; one step forward, two steps back. I just feel like it would be better for our future if we moved forward from him and drafted someone like Power who would be an upgrade over him in the long-term (if it came to that).

I wouldn’t mind moving on from both if we had to.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I am shocked at how poorly Canada has done. I would never have expected the team to be 0-3 at this point in time.
The only positive right now is that Comtois has one of the two goals scored so far. It’s just a really young and inexperienced roster with not much offensive ability

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I might get some heat from fellow fans, but I’m a bit hesitant to commit long term for both.

Lindholm is a key cog in our defensive core. Problem is, I feel like each injury slows him down a bit more than before. If we extend Lindholm and he keeps getting injured, it won’t age well.

Manson is the same old story with me; one step forward, two steps back. I just feel like it would be better for our future if we moved forward from him and drafted someone like Power who would be an upgrade over him in the long-term (if it came to that).

I wouldn’t mind moving on from both if we had to.

If we do, then we have to kinda know now because there are some great defensive prospects this coming draft where we have a great chance to land one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad