2021 Offseason player / roster discussion: Who's Next, This Song is Over, Won't Get Fooled Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
If the Sabres don't get TWO NHL GOALIES, everything else being talked about in here is a waste of time. A 100% joke.

They went into last season with one NHL goalie (hardly a star and injury prone) and look what happened. It's shocking they thought Hutton would produce a different result. And we know they didn't believe in Johanssen.

UPL should be the #3 with no pressure ready to go.

This idea that Hauser is anything other than an organizational goalie who shleps between Cincy and Rochester is delusional. You are talking about. guy who is not really even an AHL goalie.

I'd be trying to trade for someone to go with Ullmark even before UFA season starts. Fills a hole. Put Ullmark on a timeline and pull the trigger on a 2nd goalie if he can't commit right away.

It's simple. No goalies, we suck again. It won't matter what we do anywhere else in lineup

Last year was the year to fix the goalie and coach problem.

If the Sabres are trading Eichel and Reinhart for prospects and draft picks then no goalie is making them a good team next season and it's a race to the bottom for Shane Wright.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think using cap space to get picks is a way better investment than the UFA market.
Really annoyed that we spent money on guys like Moulson and Gorges during the first tanks.

If we ever get players that are Buffalo loyalists during next part of the rebuild I hope we make a deal to overpay them on short term deals and then go for discounted extensions.

Reactions: elchud

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I think using cap space to get picks is a way better investment than the UFA market.
Really annoyed that we spent money on guys like Moulson and Gorges during the first tanks.

If we ever get players that are Buffalo loyalists during next part of the rebuild I hope we make a deal to overpay them on short term deals and then go for discounted extensions.

With Eichel Reinhart out, 8 years for Dahlin and 4 years each for Casey Joker Asplund

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It boggles my mind how goaltending seems to be such a low priority for this organization. It's the one position where if you get the right guy you can compete for and earn a playoff spot even with a bad roster.

Reactions: Snippit

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
It boggles my mind how goaltending seems to be such a low priority for this organization. It's the one position where if you get the right guy you can compete for and earn a playoff spot even with a bad roster.

because it's the same organization that hired someone with no GM experience at any level to run a professional hockey club and that same guy thinks "magic" is the key to fixing the club

59e9uo.jpg

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think some pathologic gamblers want to win in a spectacular way. Big moves like Hall gets the adrenaline pumping, good goalies do not. Also, almost winning gives you a bigger kick than actually winning so why would you ruin the fun with good goaltending?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Unless you've got Hasek, goaltending is more a product of the system and the team in front of him. A goalie as good as John Gibson can't save the Ducks on his own. Goaltending should be a priority when you have talent already in front of him (last year).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think some pathologic gamblers want to win in a spectacular way. Big moves like Hall gets the adrenaline pumping, good goalies do not. Also, almost winning gives you a bigger kick than actually winning so why would you ruin the fun with good goaltending?
This would make sense if they passed on a goalie to sign hall.

The more boring answer is that they liked ullmark and hoped hutton could rebound on the last year of his deal, while not identifying long term solutions they wanted. There's no psychological analysis needed.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Would love to be a lock for either Lambert or Savoie even if we don't get Wright. All 3 should be NHL ready their 1st year. All 3 are also right handed Centers so...yeah...lets just hit a home run with Eichels heir apparent.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
You get a goalie. You keep Eichel and Reinhart. You make the playoffs next season.

But first and foremost you get rid of the owners. If you do that, then all of the above will fall into place. It will be like when Krueger left and players started to blossom.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003

I don't buy this in 2021. The offenses are too good now, what goalies are out there now that consistently win on their own? It just doesn't happen. You need goal scoring and a goalie that isn't going to lose it for you.

Reactions: joshjull

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Servalli with a shot at the Buffalo media in regards to Reinhart. Says that Gran

He also says he'd be "very surprised" if Sam was traded this offseason.

He is basing this on conversations he has had with Granato about how much of a leader Sam is.

Reinhart totally changed the conversation for me this year. I saw some games where he could be used on top line that could slow down another top line. Now he wants a long-term deal likely, so price is key. I would consider a high, hight two-year deal to buy one year of UFA. Would leave his prime years still on table for him. I'd go $17 M over two years even. An eight-year deal? Maybe $64 M/8

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
View attachment 433428

So we finished in dead last and we are going to trade are two best forwards this summer.

What goalies are we adding to fix that? Do we have a clone of Hasek we've been growing for 20 years coming? And it should be noted that team that finished 2nd last in the NHL above the Sabres have one of the best goalies in the league.

We're not a bad team? Are you saying that because bad is not a strong enough adjective to describe how utterly pathetic our team is?
Currently we are not a bad team. Without Eichel and AHL goaltending were still were not bad. Put someone between the pipes that can make a save and not kill the teams confidence aka Hutton. Ditch Miller and Risto.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
They were last in the NHL in goal differential in what world is that not bad?

I'm assuming he's referring to "not bad" after the losing streak ended and Granato had a chance to influence the team. And I'll agree with that point. We were close to a .500 team I believe after the losing streak. And the team definitely was playing much, much better hockey at the end of the season.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I'm assuming he's referring to "not bad" after the losing streak ended and Granato had a chance to influence the team. And I'll agree with that point. We were close to a .500 team I believe after the losing streak. And the team definitely was playing much, much better hockey at the end of the season.

And then they started getting dominated by the actual good teams after the initial hot streak. Yes they were much more enjoyable to watch, but they just aren't up to par with the playoff teams.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
And then they started getting dominated by the actual good teams after the initial hot streak. Yes they were much more enjoyable to watch, but they just aren't up to par with the playoff teams.
Yeah they improved from record breaking bad to just bottom five in the league bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad