2021 Offseason player / roster discussion: Who's Next, This Song is Over, Won't Get Fooled Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
In a more ideal situation (only Eichel is malcontent) yes, the cap space is a huge asset.

Dougie Hamilton aint signing here. Neither is Ovechkin or Landeskog.

I agree that we are not signing any players in that category of the UFA market. That's a good thing in my view. All would require huge $$$ with long terms; it's not what we need.

We will though have lots of cap space and draft/prospect capital that will allow us, if we are so inclined, to trade for good and useful veteran players that other teams will be looking to move due to their own cap and/or expansion draft issues. I think there will also be lots of "Day 2 - level" free agents available who will be happy to take a good contract from the Sabres.

The question is, will the Sabres:

#1) Be looking to use their cap space and draft/prospect capital to supplement the roster as soon as this year in an effort to support their new young core and be as competitive as possible from the start? I don't mean doing what Murray did by mortgaging the future for high-end assets before the team is ready to be competitive. I mean strategically moving some excess picks and maybe a prospect like Ryan Johnson (from a position where we may have lots of depth) to teams who need to move quality vets due to being squeezed by the flat-cap or due to the prospect of losing such a player to Seattle.

OR

#2) Use their abundant cap space to take on cap dumps like L.E. from Vancouver in order to further bolster the prospect pool?

Based on comments Adams I heard from Adams previously about needing to ensure that young players are supported and insulated by vets, I think it will be #1 and not #2. I think that still leaves us with opportunity to add quality long-term pieces while also adding veterans who will help us be more competitive than we have been in recent years. I don't accept the view that trading Eichel and Reinhart commits us to being bad for years still to come.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Podkolzin
Eriksson

That's what Adams has to ask if we have to take Eriksson and Sam will sign long-term contract in Vancouver. Prospects like Woo, DiPietro and Lind don't do much, and they certainly won't give up Hoglander. There is another option in which we will trade Reinhart + Risto, we could also retain 50% of Risto's salary, it seems Benning liked Risto. But then the price would have been a little higher.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Let's take another shot at an offseason plan.

Trades
[BUF/ANA] Jack Eichel and Tage Thompson for Trevor Zegras, Max Comtois, Adam Henrique, and Troy Terry
[BUF/VAN] Sam Reinhart for 2021 1st (#9), Jett Woo, and Loui Eriksson
[BUF/ARI] Rasmus Ristolainen for Darcy Kuemper
[BUF/SEA] 2021 4th for Seattle agreeing to select Colin Miller

Expansion List
Forwards: Skinner, Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Bjork, Henrique, Terry
Defensemen: Dahlin, Jokiharju, Borgen
Goaltender: Ullmark

Draft
1 (1): Owen Power
1 (9): Fabian Lysell
2 (32): Logan Stankoven

Buyouts
Kyle Okposo, Cody Eakin

Extensions
Rasmus Dahlin - 2 years, $4.25M AAV
Max Comtois - 2 years, $2.75M AAV
Henri Jokiharju - 2 years, $2.25M AAV
Casey Mittelstadt - 2 years, $2M AAV
Rasmus Asplund - 2 years, $850K AAV

UFAs
Chris Driedger - 3 years, $4M AAV
David Savard - 1 year, $2M
Patrik Nemeth - 1 year, $2M
Jon Merrill - 1 year, $2M
Riley Nash - 1 year, $1M

2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Jeff Skinner - Adam Henrique - Dylan Cozens
Max Comtois - Trevor Zegras - Victor Olofsson
Arttu Ruotsalainen - Casey Mittelstadt - Troy Terry
Zemgus Girgensons - Rasmus Asplund - Anders Bjork
x Loui Eriksson, Riley Nash

Rasmus Dahlin - Henri Jokiharju
Jon Merrill - David Savard
Patrik Nemeth - Will Borgen
Jacob Bryson

Chris Driedger / Darcy Kuemper

Cap Hit: $67,107,458

I like a lot of what you did here.

Slightly different on the Eichel and Reinhart trades.

Eichel to Anaheim for Zegras, Henrique, Dostal, and 3OV. Less on the player package to get 3OV.

Reinhart and Ristolainen to LA for Turcotte, 2021 1st, Grans.

Work a deal to move from 3rd to 2nd. Come away for. The draft with:

Zegras - future top line center with elite scoring potential
Turcotte - future 2C with 200 foot game and elite intangibles
Power - future elite top pairing defender in Pietrangelo mold
Beniers - elite 2C with 200 foot game

Rebuild complete.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I like a lot of what you did here.

Slightly different on the Eichel and Reinhart trades.

Eichel to Anaheim for Zegras, Henrique, Dostal, and 3OV. Less on the player package to get 3OV.

Reinhart and Ristolainen to LA for Turcotte, 2021 1st, Grans.

Work a deal to move from 3rd to 2nd. Come away for. The draft with:

Zegras - future top line center with elite scoring potential
Turcotte - future 2C with 200 foot game and elite intangibles
Power - future elite top pairing defender in Pietrangelo mold
Beniers - elite 2C with 200 foot game

Rebuild complete.
I just don't think either of those packages are remotely realistic. And I'm more optimistic than many on here.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Reinhart on his own should garner a minimum top 15 pick in this draft. If it is 9, a large cap dump and a mediocre prospect ..walk away.

Reinhart, under contract, sure.

Reinhart not under contract, that has no interest in returning to Buffalo, you better take that top 10 pick and run even if it came with a mediocre prospect and cap dump. Otherwise, you're giving him a one year contract deal, and then looking to move him at the TDL for like a 2nd round pick or just a middle of the road prospect.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This seems limiting. Who fits the bill besides zegras +3? Even then is zegras top line ready?

Seattle doesn't have top line talent.
NJ: zacha/hischier +5. I Don't see it
Columbus: no 1st line ready prospect
Detroit: see above. Raymond doesn't seem to be there now
SJ: is Meier a prospect?
LAK: Turcotte and byfield are good prospects, not first liners right now
Vancouver: maybe podkolzin
Ottawa: stutzle

I don't know, I have a hard time seeing a first line ready prospect and a top 10 pick coming because you're limited to like Ottawa and Anaheim
1st line prospect that is NHL ready. Not necessarily 1st line ready.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
My dark horse.

7th overall
Timo Meier
Ryan Merkley
Thomas Bordeleau
We will have to pay Meier 9 million for the next contract, it's not easy. Not sure if San Jose will race for Eichel, but anything is possible.

I think one of these teams could be a dark horse when maybe the owner or GM thinks they lack a guy like Eichel to make it to the final or win the Stanley Cup.

Carolina
Colorado
Nashville
Dallas
Vegas

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Reinhart, under contract, sure.

Reinhart not under contract, that has no interest in returning to Buffalo, you better take that top 10 pick and run even if it came with a mediocre prospect and cap dump. Otherwise, you're giving him a one year contract deal, and then looking to move him at the TDL for like a 2nd round pick or just a middle of the road prospect.
If the above deal was offered, I'd rather keep him and build around him.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't know enough about those players but at first glance I'm underwhelmed compared to potential Ana, LA, Chi deals

It’s not a bad package, but I would try to get Gregor and Khnyzov added. Even if we had to add a pick or prospect.

Is he still a complete asshole?

He’s apparently matured a lot. I mean, going to play for Dale Hunter in London makes a lot of kids smarten up. Because he’s not exactly someone that is gonna take shit.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

If only that was an option, based on rumors. Unfortunately, if you're going by the rumors, he's not going to stick around for a rebuild. I would love to have him stay here, same with Jack.

I would love to bring a head coach in here as well, to build a sense of respectability and legitimacy that we have lost these past 3+ years. I think if they did that, they would have an easier task of keeping the two happy or interested in being here. But it seems the team and players are on different paths and mindsets.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We will have to pay Meier 9 million for the next contract, it's not easy. Not sure if San Jose will race for Eichel, but anything is possible.

I think one of these teams could be a dark horse when maybe the owner or GM thinks they lack a guy like Eichel to make it to the final or win the Stanley Cup.

Carolina
Colorado
Nashville
Dallas
Vegas

What do Sabres fans think would be a reasonable ask from Carolina? Clearly Aho wouldn't be available so while I'd respect if a fan wants that, it's not worthwhile to have the discussion.

IMO, from a FAN POV, the available assets as part of a deal: any draft picks, any prospects (including Suzuki, Rees, Jarvis, Drury, etc..); one of Necas or Svechnikov (but not both) and most players (not Slavin, Pesce, Teravainen, Aho or Staal (NMC)). I'm looking for a "reasonable" proposal, not a "in my wildest dreams" proposal.

Carolina very likely would not want to part with Svechnikov as Brindy loves the kid, but probably would consider Necas, so this is just a fan "what-if" scenario. Some Canes fans would rather keep Necas than Svechnikov though as Necas is a nat

Jack's health would have to be a consideration as well (I'm not familiar with the latest on that).

I don't expect it to happen at all, just curious what Sabres fans think on this.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What do Sabres fans think would be a reasonable ask from Carolina? Clearly Aho wouldn't be available so while I'd respect if a fan wants that, it's not worthwhile to have the discussion.

IMO, from a FAN POV, the available assets as part of a deal: any draft picks, any prospects (including Suzuki, Rees, Jarvis, Drury, etc..); one of Necas or Svechnikov (but not both) and most players (not Slavin, Pesce, Teravainen, Aho or Staal (NMC)). I'm looking for a "reasonable" proposal, not a "in my wildest dreams" proposal.

Carolina very likely would not want to part with Svechnikov as Brindy loves the kid, but probably would consider Necas, so this is just a fan "what-if" scenario. Some Canes fans would rather keep Necas than Svechnikov though as Necas is a nat

Jack's health would have to be a consideration as well (I'm not familiar with the latest on that).

I don't expect it to happen at all, just curious what Sabres fans think on this.
If we could return Svechnikov/Necas + a couple of not so significant parts, I would be very delighted and surprised.
I would make such offer, although it might not look very realistic, but we are just playing here.

Eichel
Olofsson

for

Svechnikov
Jarvis
Suzuki/Drury
1st

Olofsson to some extent replaces Svechnikov in the squad, although of course Svechnikov looks like the best player.

or

Eichel
Risto - 50% retain

for

Necas
Jarvis
Honka
1st

Last edited:
Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Reinhart on his own should garner a minimum top 15 pick in this draft. If it is 9, a large cap dump and a mediocre prospect ..walk away.

I think you're undervaluing him a bit and yes I know about his contract status. #15 in this draft could be #25-30 in a normal draft, we just don't know. I don't think we need to take a cap dump for a top 10 pick.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think you're undervaluing him a bit and yes I know about his contract status. #15 in this draft could be #25-30 in a normal draft, we just don't know. I don't think we need to take a cap dump for a top 10 pick.

I think you misquoted the wrong person.

Reactions: SundherDome

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To add, trading within the conference is gonna up the price, so I think it's all but guaranteed that Svech would need to be included.
I get that. I think Eichels injury concerns also come into play, but I’m not looking to debate it here as it’s your board, just looking for Sabres fan’s views do I appreciate your response

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

he will sign his qualifying offer immediately and be worth less than you’d get come the deadline or walk at the end of the year for nothing.

there is no “keep him and build around him option”

1. it’s what you get now
2. less at the deadline
3. nothing

those are the choices.

Reactions: Slapshot85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad