2021 Offseason player / roster discussion: Who's Next, This Song is Over, Won't Get Fooled Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I formally applied to run the Sabres through July 10th (posted earlier on this thread). I am waiting for Kim and Terry to call. :laugh:

Not to trumpet my own candidacy, but maybe we start a social media campaign? "Let's Go with Der Jaeger Plan!" Sorta catchy.

I agree, but this is all semantics anyways. Eichel has no leverage on where he goes and is signed. He's a superstar player. So all this crap about his injury can bite it. He'll be held onto until the "right offer" comes up. Anyone who thinks a 1st, a marginal prospect and a second gets you Jack Eichel, can take a swift kick in the balls. Reinhart has value, and is signed through next year on an RFA status, someone will make a decent offer. Ristolainen is where you might not get as much. At this point if we can get a solid B prospect (preferably a center or defensemen) and a second round pick I'd move on.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Adams needs to stick to his principles. It's a situation where he can't fold and give in to Eichel. This will also be a learning experience for Eichel, who may or may not have been influencing a coaching decision ("GM Eichel") in the past, maybe forgetting at times where his place was within the organization. That is with the assumption that his neck will recover without surgery.
More than anything this is about Eichel's health.
That is my honest opinion. Don't be too hard on me if you disagree.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Posted almost same thing on draft thread, but how do you all feel about this?

If it's a weak draft, the perceived value of the top 3 pick may be more than actual value. Why not trade the top 3 overall pick for a more proven but elite prospect on an ELC U25 who's projected to be better than any player in the draft?

Most analysts say it's a weak draft, not just me saying that. I'd rather wait couple years/close to for a contributing player if he has term than wait 5 years for the player to even make a dent.

Risto would have to be exposed in the ED, I'm his biggest fan but he cannot be exposed over younger players. Or risk losing him for nothing. This off-season he should be traded with Jokiharju, Miller, Borgen stepping up.

But what about a package like
Bryson + Risto + 3 OA + 2nd round pick = for a 1st liner legit elite top-35 forward U25 (or potential likely to fulfill) with team control who instantly makes this team better. Not that huge of a hit to the team--- as one of Miller, Jokiharju, Borgen can play minutes that Risto wouldn't play and McCabe, Dahlin, Samuelsson on the left. I like Bryson but we have Johnson who is similar but will do it better likely. Bryson isn't a core player. Laaksonen will be a beast and he'll be competing for a spot once Miller is lost. In a trade we can target a LD or RD defensive d-man prospect maybe not as elite as the main piece so two bodies are coming back. One that doesn't tilt value too much so we can get our bluechipper.

Act as if Bryson is a young raw Karlsson at the trade negotiations.
I love Risto and his physicality but I'd rather have a D who's better defensively with actual term. I wouldn't want to move Risto if not for his expiring status. Then I'd want to trade Miller instead. Risto is probably more valuable.

Bryson + Risto + Buffalo 2nd + top 3 pick gets you something elite. It'd be worth it and basically spare parts if it's a weak draft and Risto is gone anyway.

It's basically Bryson and a free 2nd from Taylor Hall for a top 30-35 forward or soon to be elite prospect.

It's a risk because someone has to replace Risto's minutes- but I say a worth risk taking. We can get some seriously elite talent with that package IMO.

To a team who:
-Needs a top 4 RH D to win now this season
-Needs physicality
-Is thin on LD depth
-Starving for depleted picks,
-Covets the top 3 pick badly for lack of elite prospects, but a team who also has an elite 1st line top 30-35 forward.​

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To a team who:
-Needs a top 4 RH D to win now this season
-Needs physicality
-Is thin on LD depth
-Starving for depleted picks,
-Covets the top 3 pick badly for lack of elite prospects, but a team who also has an elite 1st line top 30-35 forward.​

I can't think of a team in that situation.

And the first item (win now) and the last one (wants to move an elite 1st line forward for a draft pick) seem to be at odds with each other.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I can't think of a team in that situation.

And the first item (win now) and the last one (wants to move an elite 1st line forward for a draft pick) seem to be at odds with each other.
I'm not saying a team would need all of those requirements, those are just some needs that would warrant a trade partner. Columbus was in win-now they traded U25 RFA PLD. Winnipeg was in win now mode and traded U25 RFA Laine. (Both top 35 forward potential). It'd be a somewhat unique circumstance for sure, but the package has value and that cannot be denied.

You make it seem like it doesn't happen. If Winnipeg or Columbus wanted an elite prospect, a high pick, a LD under team control and RD to start the season- they would qualify.
What if they were too loaded on forward and wanted to improve on the back end and felt Bryson+Risto= more impactful than a forward because offence was redundant.
Risto is not a bad player nor is Bryson. Bryson has team control and can easily be a top 4 D. He has the IQ for it and Risto can be flipped for a 1st by a competent GM.

If it makes them a better team on D, the top 3 pick and 2nd are just the cherry on top.

Bryson + Risto + a 2nd + a top 3 pick has value, I don't care what you say and condescendingly informing me it's not "NHL21". Last time I checked, real GM's make real trades, and my proposed package has real value that would get an elite player guaranteed IMO by a competent GM.

PS: You don't have post an oppositional, dismissive response to every one of my posts :laugh: Lighten up, bud. We're both Sabres fans. Love life.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not saying a team would need all of those requirements, those are just some needs that would warrant a trade partner. Columbus was in win-now they traded U25 RFA PLD. Winnipeg was in win now mode and traded U25 RFA Laine. (Both top 35 forward potential). It'd be a somewhat unique circumstance for sure, but the package has value and that cannot be denied.

You make it seem like it doesn't happen. If Winnipeg or Columbus wanted an elite prospect, a high pick, a LD under team control and RD to start the season- they would qualify.
What if they were too loaded on forward and wanted to improve on the back end and felt Bryson+Risto= more impactful than a forward because offence was redundant.
Risto is not a bad player nor is Bryson. Bryson has team control and can easily be a top 4 D. He has the IQ for it and Risto can be flipped for a 1st by a competent GM.

If it makes them a better team on D, the top 3 pick and 2nd are just the cherry on top.

Bryson + Risto + a 2nd + a top 3 pick has value, I don't care what you say and condescendingly informing me it's not "NHL21". Last time I checked, real GM's make real trades, and my proposed package has real value that would get an elite player guaranteed IMO by a competent GM.

PS: You don't have post an oppositional, dismissive response to every one of my posts :laugh: Lighten up, bud. We're both Sabres fans. Love life.

A package that centers on a high pick is really only valuable to a team looking to rebuild.

But, a team looking to rebuild is unlikely to give up an elite U25 forward. Those are the kinds of players you should be rebuilding around and not giving up.

Laine & Jones in Columbus might be available.

Clayton Keller in Arizona might be available.

But, I don't know if Sabres fans are getting excited about those kinds of players for the 3OV pick.

And if you see another team where that package has value to them and have an idea of what kind of return you could se happening, then please throw it out there for discussion.

Just saying that a package of stuff should be able to return an elite player is meaningless without a more complete offer to contemplate.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
1. If the relationship with Eichel is irreparable deal him for a ransom. If no such ransom is available, let him pout.
2. Try to extend Reinhart. If he won't, deal him.
3. Try to extend Risto (at the rate of a 2nd pair dman). If he won't, deal him.
4. Overpay to fix the goalie problem (maybe not like how we overpaid for Lehner, but do what is necessary).
5. Fill in the gaps with JAG veteran FAs that won't kill us on the ice (see Eakin for what to avoid).
6. Hire Granato as coach (I was impressed with what he got out of a pretty bad roster against superior competition with little/no prep and practice time).
7. Cross your fingers and hope the youth develops.
8. If we're in the playoff conversation at the end of next season, it will have been successful. Hopefully we sneak in.

Reactions: KeepKane

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
This team is actually going to be a lot more fun to watch without expectations. Part of what has sucked during Eichel’s career here is that other than year one, our expectations have been out of alignment with the growth of the team. Next year’s team should be bad without Jack and Sam, so when they win, it will be sweet and when they lose, it’ll be not so bad.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This team is actually going to be a lot more fun to watch without expectations. Part of what has sucked during Eichel’s career here is that other than year one, our expectations have been out of alignment with the growth of the team. Next year’s team should be bad without Jack and Sam, so when they win, it will be sweet and when they lose, it’ll be not so bad.

y8c1irppgpl51.jpg

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Expectation:

59beup.jpg

Reality:

59bf5m.jpg

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don’t care man. I’m tired of being disappointed. They aren’t going to be better without Jack and Sam. I’m getting used to it now.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Address goaltending. Bad teams can be carried by goaltending. We are not a bad team.
It doesn’t matter. For years we’ve thought, “a team with Jack Eichel shouldn’t be this bad.” Without him, they’ll just get to grow into expectations.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Address goaltending. Bad teams can be carried by goaltending. We are not a bad team.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 8.56.24 AM.png

So we finished in dead last and we are going to trade are two best forwards this summer.

What goalies are we adding to fix that? Do we have a clone of Hasek we've been growing for 20 years coming? And it should be noted that team that finished 2nd last in the NHL above the Sabres have one of the best goalies in the league.

We're not a bad team? Are you saying that because bad is not a strong enough adjective to describe how utterly pathetic our team is?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
1. If the relationship with Eichel is irreparable deal him for a ransom. If no such ransom is available, let him pout.
2. Try to extend Reinhart. If he won't, deal him.
3. Try to extend Risto (at the rate of a 2nd pair dman). If he won't, deal him.
4. Overpay to fix the goalie problem (maybe not like how we overpaid for Lehner, but do what is necessary).
5. Fill in the gaps with JAG veteran FAs that won't kill us on the ice (see Eakin for what to avoid).
6. Hire Granato as coach (I was impressed with what he got out of a pretty bad roster against superior competition with little/no prep and practice time).
7. Cross your fingers and hope the youth develops.
8. If we're in the playoff conversation at the end of next season, it will have been successful. Hopefully we sneak in.
I'm good with all but #3 above.

I'm sick of Eichel. Time for a username change...
How about SickOfEichel ?

Reactions: goach

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I don’t care man. I’m tired of being disappointed. They aren’t going to be better without Jack and Sam. I’m getting used to it now.

I feel you. Lately, I've been thinking about giving up on following hockey and focusing on football. The whole point of following sports is that it should be a positive distraction, what's going on with this team is definitely not that

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Please tank next season. Trade Eichel and Reinhart and expose Risto in the draft. Eat bad contracts.

Reinhart (signed for 5/6/7 years) for Loui Eriksson Jay Beagle Antoine Roussel and three 1sts (21/22/23). This frees up 12 million so even adding Reinhart they can give Petterson a long term deal.

Eichel for Turcotte/Kupari/Grans/2021 1st & 2nd & 3rd/Quick/Maatta. LA still has cap space to improve LHD and sign Cal P long term.

Skinner - Mitts - Giraffe
Asplund - Cozens - Olofsson
Arttu - Kupari - Bjork
Girgs - Eakin - Okposo
Canucks cast-offs

Dahlin - Joker
Bryson - Borgen
Maatta - Miller
cheap UFAs

Quick
Wedgewood

An amazing tank roster but tell the kids reinforcements are a year away.

3rd overall - Beniers or Clarke
Package VC #1 and LAK #1 to move up to 4th overall. - Beniers or Clarke

In 2022/23, add Beniers/Clarke/Turcotte/Quinn/Samuelsson/stud-from-2022-draft to the team.

In 2023/24, Eriksson/Okposo/Quick clear 18 million for the cap and you freaking go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kublakhan

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Need to accept that we aren't getting any quality UFA signings the next two seasons. Use cap space to help the tank by absorbing some bad contracts that don't last more than 2 seasons. My two big signings this off season are Sami Vatanen and Scott Wedgewood. Give Dahlin 8yearsx10million, Mitts 4yearsx3.7million. Its their team and they will know to endure what will be a tough tough tough season. In 2022 you can add 6!!! recent 1st round picks (all 8th overall or higher except Samuelsson) to the roster, to hopefully include Shane Wright. 2023 is when free agents will be tracking the Buffalo Sabre renaissance.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If the Sabres don't get TWO NHL GOALIES, everything else being talked about in here is a waste of time. A 100% joke.

They went into last season with one NHL goalie (hardly a star and injury prone) and look what happened. It's shocking they thought Hutton would produce a different result. And we know they didn't believe in Johanssen.

UPL should be the #3 with no pressure ready to go.

This idea that Hauser is anything other than an organizational goalie who shleps between Cincy and Rochester is delusional. You are talking about. guy who is not really even an AHL goalie.

I'd be trying to trade for someone to go with Ullmark even before UFA season starts. Fills a hole. Put Ullmark on a timeline and pull the trigger on a 2nd goalie if he can't commit right away.

It's simple. No goalies, we suck again. It won't matter what we do anywhere else in lineup

Reactions: BuffaloGooner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad