2021 NHL TV ratings thread

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
UEFA EURO 2020 Final on ESPN is the Most-Viewed Euro Match Ever in the U.S. with 6,488,000 Viewers - ESPN Press Room U.S.
EURO-2020-Final-Ratings-07-13-780x470.png

Reactions: eddygee

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Every Italian in the US watched this game. There are close to 2.5M italians in the US. The rest who watched are immigrants mostly, while some americans watched too.. but not many.

Soccer is VERY boring to watch. I bet on the game and i still couldn't get myself to watch it. It's freakin UNWATCHABLE.. the most boring sport ever. How can ppl watch this crap?? It's just pass pass pass, pass, pass to goalie, back to player..

Now i know why Americans HATE this game.. i don't blame them. And ppl were complaining that they wanted no penalty kicks to decide and to let them just play till someone scores. Are u kidding me??? if they did this, they'd still be playing the game right now. No one ever comes close to a scoring chance in this game. Who the heck wants to watch a 2 hr soccer game to see 2 scoring chances all game..

At times, i used to think hockey was boring, but after watching soccer, hockey seems like a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: IceKitties

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Every Italian in the US watched this game. There are close to 2.5M italians in the US. The rest who watched are immigrants mostly, while some americans watched too.. but not many.

Soccer is VERY boring to watch. I bet on the game and i still couldn't get myself to watch it. It's freakin UNWATCHABLE.. the most boring sport ever. How can ppl watch this crap?? It's just pass pass pass, pass, pass to goalie, back to player..

Now i know why Americans HATE this game.. i don't blame them. And ppl were complaining that they wanted no penalty kicks to decide and to let them just play till someone scores. Are u kidding me??? if they did this, they'd still be playing the game right now. No one ever comes close to a scoring chance in this game. Who the heck wants to watch a 2 hr soccer game to see 2 scoring chances all game..

At times, i used to think hockey was boring, but after watching soccer, hockey seems like a breath of fresh air.
:huh: Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
2002 gold medal game in salt lake did over 18 million. You can't compare NHL to International cups... guys come on now it's a joke. Premiere League finals or MLS finales would be a better comparison.

How about the 2010 Gold Medal hockey game??

The game was actually viewed by more people south of the border, with NBC reporting an average audience of 27.6 million – the largest for hockey since the U.S. defeated Finland for gold at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

How about 1980?

US/Russia- 34.2M
US/Finland (Final game).. 32.8M

Those #s are bigger than what the World Series and NBA finals combined will get this yr.

Gold-medal hockey game watched by record 16.6 million

And ppl are saying soccer is beating hockey in the US cuz 8M immigrants watched a boring sport..

Reactions: S E P H

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

The game was actually viewed by more people south of the border, with NBC reporting an average audience of 27.6 million – the largest for hockey since the U.S. defeated Finland for gold at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics.

How about 1980?

US/Russia- 34.2M

Those #s are bigger than what the World Series and NBA finals combined will get this yr.

And ppl are saying soccer is beating hockey in the US cuz 8M immigrants watched a boring sport..
do you have proof of that?

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
2002 gold medal game in salt lake did over 18 million. You can't compare NHL to International cups... guys come on now it's a joke. Premiere League finals or MLS finales would be a better comparison.
That would take reasoning and critical thinking though, so why not plow ahead anyway?

There are always going to be weird results when comparing an international sporting event that takes place every 2 to 4 years to a yearly domestic league. Womens hockey got 3.8 million viewers at 11pm in 2018. Not counting the Cup Final only one NHL game outrated it. Is womens hockey catching up to/passing the NHL?

For the record, there are no Premier League Finals. The champion is crowned after the 38 game regular season.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
That would take reasoning and critical thinking though, so why not plow ahead anyway?

There are always going to be weird results when comparing an international sporting event that takes place every 2 to 4 years to a yearly domestic league. Womens hockey got 3.8 million viewers at 11pm in 2018. Not counting the Cup Final only one NHL game outrated it. Is womens hockey catching up to/passing the NHL?

For the record, there are no Premier League Finals. The champion is crowned after the 38 game regular season.

Ok then this crappy final still beat the UEFA Champions league on CBS. I guess that would be the closest equivalent. Soccer fans love these quick wins they are after hockey like many Hockey fans were after the NBA lol. Still a huge gap - even the EPL games are exclusive in their season without blackouts (I heard) and no competition from regional team broadcasts.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Olympic final most-watched hockey game in 30 years

Canada's victory against Team USA in the Olympic gold-medal game Sunday night was the most-watched hockey game in the United States in 30 years.

The game drew an average viewership of 27.6 million, making it the most-watched hockey broadcast since the U.S. team beat Finland to win gold at 1980 Olympics. That game drew 32.8 million fans and came on the heels of the historic U.S. win against the U.S.S.R. in the "Miracle on Ice" game.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
i was asking for proof for sotero claim that the Euro rating was just immigrants .. you at least provide facts for your claims.

I see - well I can tell you from EPL and La Liga that their viewers tend to be minorities - heard this on fox sports radio a few years ago not sure if it's changed.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
co

How about 1980?

US/Russia- 34.2M

can you name a legit source that it was 8 million immigrants whowatch the euro 2020 final? Im waiting.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
NBC’s NHL swan song not too bad by recent standards

The complete five-game Stanley Cup Final averaged 2.43 million viewers (2.52M including additional streaming data). The latter figure is up 17% from last year’s six-game series (2.15M) but down 54% from the seven-game series in 2019 (5.47M). Compared to previous Cup finals to involve a Canadian team, this year’s series declined 45% from 2011 (4.57M) — but that was a seven-game series involving original six Boston.

The full Stanley Cup playoffs averaged 982,000 viewers on the networks of NBC (1.02M including additional streaming data). On a TV-only basis, viewership increased just 3% from last year in the “bubble” (953K) and declined 36% from 2019 (1.53M). Including the additional streaming data — several games were simulcast on Peacock this year — viewership increased 7% from the “bubble.” Only 12 postseason games aired on NBC this year, three fewer than last year.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Ok then this crappy final still beat the UEFA Champions league on CBS. I guess that would be the closest equivalent. Soccer fans love these quick wins they are after hockey like many Hockey fans were after the NBA lol. Still a huge gap - even the EPL games are exclusive in their season without blackouts (I heard) and no competition from regional team broadcasts.
It is lol. And you are right it is exactly like the NBa obsessed fans that hockey has. It mostly starts out as "MLS is right behind/has surpassed the NHL" and then they point to EPL and International Cup soccer as "proof"

I dont understand why the niche sports are like this, but it seems par for the course. Its the same with Indycar vs F1

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
It is lol. And you are right it is exactly like the NBa obsessed fans that hockey has. It mostly starts out as "MLS is right behind/has surpassed the NHL" and then they point to EPL and International Cup soccer as "proof"

I dont understand why the niche sports are like this, but it seems par for the course. Its the same with Indycar vs F1

What is considered a Niche sport? I mean if we base it on Revnues the NHL is not niche at all. If it's based on TV Ratings then well you have to consider the regional broadcasts as well. Regionals do really well - it's very apparent that most casual fans tune out when their teams are done. NHL needs to find a way to make players/teams/storylines more prominent. If niche is considered how many people actively play the game than Soccer is not a niche sport either and Golf is a niche sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->