Cambridge, MA
FINAL CANADIAN RATINGS

upload_2021-7-21_1-50-38.png

upload_2021-7-21_1-52-17.png

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

WOW I am shocked at that number, rated higher than the MLB game on the main network and a lot of games this season

The MLB game was blacked out in Chicago and St. Louis. It’s about 100,000 higher than the Vegas expansion draft, though that was combined with the Awards.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The MLB game was blacked out in Chicago and St. Louis. It’s about 100,000 higher than the Vegas expansion draft, though that was combined with the Awards.

I’m still surprised that it will popped that solid of a number though. I guess expansion intrigue was really there. Still even despite that, MLB game should’ve done a better number. Probably another example on why ESPN is done with these non-exclusive weeknight games.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

In the new ESPN/TNT deals are all the NHL games exclusive or are they still allowing regionals to pick up the games?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
In the new ESPN/TNT deals are all the NHL games exclusive or are they still allowing regionals to pick up the games?

Both releases says full exclusive. Which I believe.

But I do caution that when NBC picked up the full rights in 2011 they said all their games would be exclusive as well, but that turned out to not be the case. Though I think that was by NBC’s choice to pick up games beyond the exclusive limit set for each team.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

Im guessing those TBS games late in the year might not be exclusive, but other that unless ESPN picks up some additional games for whatever reason I’m gonna say they will be exclusive.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
I was intrigued by the Seattle sports celebrities and different Seattle icon locations they mentioned in advance -- plus the gorgeous views of the water and skyline under blue skies was a lure for me and, and maybe others felt the same if they've visited or lived in Seattle and like it as I do.

Bettman was booed (playfully? maliciously? religiously?). But he handled it well, instructing the crowd it simply means they're true hockey fans already! (or something like that)?

I liked Tanev's camera presence and playing to the crowd. Don't know much about him, and still confuse his and his brother's first names, but he could prove an instant fan favorite.

Maybe NBCSN is disappointed in the primetime Olympics preview rating? Is that somewhat poor vs. what ESPN could've pulled or decent?

Even Ben Maler (sp?) mentioned it on his overnight syndicated sports radio show, and seemed surprised it beat a historic baseball rivalry (though yes, just one of many games between them in the regular season.) Ok, maybe 200,000+ were watching combined in Chicago and St. Louis on regional cable, which would've bumped the rating over the draft, if exclusive?

Last edited:
Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Even Ben Maler (sp?) mentioned it on his overnight syndicated sports radio show, and seemed surprised it beat a historic baseball rivalry (though yes, just one of many games between them in the regular season.) Ok, maybe 200,000+ were watching combined in Chicago and St. Louis on regional cable, which would've bumped the rating over the draft, if exclusive?

It was good viewership numbers for the draft on ESPN2 and yeah I get your mention on the MLB game reportedly doing well on the local RSN's, about 100k ish each market it's still only about 750k for MLB if the game was exclusive, that's still not good and is why ESPN reduced their package and payout to MLB. I mean I felt the same way when games on NBCSN would get 100-200k viewership and folks would say well it wasn't exclusive when for most NHL markets at the time on avg we're talking a additional 20-40k each market so a total of 40-80k more if more games had been exclusive. Not really changing the scope of a meh NBCSN rating. So still not good for MLB as again which is why ESPN significantly trimmed the fat off that MLB contact from $700m yr to $550m yr. I also don't think NBA sees the type of money and fee jump they got back in 2014.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bostonzamboni

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
It was good viewership numbers for the draft on ESPN2 and yeah I get your mention on the MLB game reportedly doing well on the local RSN's, about 100k ish each market it's still only about 750k for MLB if the game was exclusive, that's still not good and is why ESPN reduced their package and payout to MLB. I mean I felt the same way when games on NBCSN would get 100-200k viewership and folks would say well it wasn't exclusive when for most NHL markets at the time on avg we'ree talking a additional 20-40k each market so a total of 40-80k more if more games had been exclusive. Noot really changing the scope of a meh NBCSN rating. So still not good for MLB as again which is why ESPN significantly trimmed the fat off that MLB contact from $700m yr to $550m yr. I also don't think NBA sees the type of money and fee jump they got back in 2014.

They will demand it to go up - but I also don't see them getting a large raise from ESPN. Maybe Fox or NBC will overpay this time around - I can see FOX going after them.

Reactions: eddygee

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Ratings: Gold Cup, NHL drafts, MLB, PGA Tour

Facing the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics, the first round of the NHL Draft averaged 268,000 on ESPN2 Friday night — up 3% from last year, when the event aired in November on NBCSN (259K). Compared to the 2019 draft, which aired on NBCSN in June, viewership declined 27% from 365,000.
Two nights earlier, the Seattle Kraken expansion draft averaged a substantially stronger 637,000 on ESPN2. The previous expansion draft — for the Golden Knights in 2017 — was part of an NHL Awards telecast that averaged 595,000 on NBCSN.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Ratings: Gold Cup, NHL drafts, MLB, PGA Tour

Facing the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics, the first round of the NHL Draft averaged 268,000 on ESPN2 Friday night — up 3% from last year, when the event aired in November on NBCSN (259K). Compared to the 2019 draft, which aired on NBCSN in June, viewership declined 27% from 365,000.
Two nights earlier, the Seattle Kraken expansion draft averaged a substantially stronger 637,000 on ESPN2. The previous expansion draft — for the Golden Knights in 2017 — was part of an NHL Awards telecast that averaged 595,000 on NBCSN.

Yup NHL draft doesn't rate well - no one knows the players that are being drafted like people do with NBA and NFL players which everyone watches in the NCAA. Even the MLB draft doesn't rate too well because the baseball player in the amateur leagues and college aren't well known.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
On a side note I just saw how low the average ratings for ESPN and ESPN 2 monthly. ESPN 2 averages like 200k on a high end daily... ESPN averages higher but a far cry from where these numbers were in the 2000s. Their formula for the last decade or so must be wearing thin with all the talking head content and hot takes plus cord cutting.

I would not be surprised if they move some of those ESPN plus NHL exclusive games to ESPN 2 or at some point move everything from ESPN 2 to ESPN plus and cut the cord on the channel.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
On a side note I just saw how low the average ratings for ESPN and ESPN 2 monthly. ESPN 2 averages like 200k on a high end daily... ESPN averages higher but a far cry from where these numbers were in the 2000s. Their formula for the last decade or so must be wearing thin with all the talking head content and hot takes plus cord cutting.

I would not be surprised if they move some of those ESPN plus NHL exclusive games to ESPN 2 or at some point move everything from ESPN 2 to ESPN plus and cut the cord on the channel.

Maybe a few games move to ESPN2 if they isn’t any pressing programming that week. But as long as NBA is on ESPN, NHL isn’t going to have many games on ESPN during the regular season

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
Maybe a few games move to ESPN2 if they isn’t any pressing programming that week. But as long as NBA is on ESPN, NHL isn’t going to have many games on ESPN during the regular season
The ESPN press release says 25 regular season games will be on ESPN or ABC. The other 75 games games are on HULU.

Maybe a few games will slip to ESPN2 but it doesn't appear that way based on the agreement.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...qi=2&usg=AOvVaw2JFDRy0n26-2sVnJeHPign&ampcf=1

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The ESPN press release says 25 regular season games will be on ESPN or ABC. The other 75 games games are on HULU.

Maybe a few games will slip to ESPN2 but it doesn't appear that way based on the agreement.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31039351/nhl-back-espn-7-year-multiplatform-deal?platform=amp&ved=2ahUKEwjjrdOV4YnyAhUQLBoKHVCyD0gQFjACegQIEhAC&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw2JFDRy0n26-2sVnJeHPign&ampcf=1

Agreements can change if they get the consent from the NHL. 75 games on ESPN+ is a lot to choose from.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I don’t see ESPN wanting to change. The whole point of the deal is to drive espn+, that is more important than espn2

How long before ESPN2 content just moves over to plus then? Do you see it being ESPN and ESPN plus in the future? I can't imagine why would they keep ESPN2 around with such low average monthly viewership.

Reactions: oknazevad

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
How long before ESPN2 content just moves over to plus then? Do you see it being ESPN and ESPN plus in the future? I can't imagine why would they keep ESPN2 around with such low average monthly viewership.

It will be over the next decade plus as contracts expire and the will steadily add more events to espn+. Until then they will happy take the subscriber fees for ESPN2, which are inflated a bit because it is packaged with ESPN. ESPN2 has never really been about ratings, it’s always been about the fees and a place to put content to keep away from a competitor.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
It will be over the next decade plus as contracts expire and the will steadily add more events to espn+. Until then they will happy take the subscriber fees for ESPN2, which are inflated a bit because it is packaged with ESPN. ESPN2 has never really been about ratings, it’s always been about the fees and a place to put content to keep away from a competitor.

If your estimate of direct to consumer comes true - the NHL is ahead of the curve and will be front and center on ESPN though the most of the decade. Bold move that could bode well for them long term with that type of visibility.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If your estimate of direct to consumer comes true - the NHL is ahead of the curve and will be front and center on ESPN though the most of the decade. Bold move that could bode well for them long term with that type of visibility.

I’m not sure it is a trend that as a league you want to be at the forefront on. You are going to give up a lot of visibility in the interim. By the very nature of how programming on these digital platforms work (by users selecting specific programming) it is something that viewers must seek out. You don’t have that stumble upon nature that traditional television has.

While streaming has grown leaps and bounds, it isn’t there or even close the to being a primary delivery platform for media consumers. Most people have and continue to have a traditional tv package. As a league I would rather have a media package that leans toward traditional tv for growth. Especially as sports fans I would estimate skew more towards the traditional tv than other demographics.

Most of your cord cutters now are people who barely watch television or are casual viewers of scripted programming (there is a reason why reruns of Classic 90’s-early 00’s are the most streamed programming). Those people aren’t really anyone who would be ever be interested in watching hockey (in fact a good portion probably actively hate sports). So you aren’t really getting out in front of a potential new audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->