2021 NHL TV ratings thread

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I’m not sure it is a trend that as a league you want to be at the forefront on. You are going to give up a lot of visibility in the interim. By the very nature of how programming on these digital platforms work (by users selecting specific programming) it is something that viewers must seek out. You don’t have that stumble upon nature that traditional television has.

While streaming has grown leaps and bounds, it isn’t there or even close the to being a primary delivery platform for media consumers. Most people have and continue to have a traditional tv package. As a league I would rather have a media package that leans toward traditional tv for growth. Especially as sports fans I would estimate skew more towards the traditional tv than other demographics.

Most of your cord cutters now are people who barely watch television or are casual viewers of scripted programming (there is a reason why reruns of Classic 90’s-early 00’s are the most streamed programming). Those people aren’t really anyone who would be ever be interested in watching hockey (in fact a good portion probably actively hate sports). So you aren’t really getting out in front of a potential new audience.

I agree with you as of right now streaming is people seeking out content but as I go to platforms like netflix where a lot of casuals watch whatever is on the app (good or bad) a lot of their original shows get good viewership. If ESPN starts pushing content to plus it's going to be on the casual sports list of apps - they could do interesting marketing and cross promoting - trending, suggestions, commericals during other programming. I remember hearing that sports used to be 1 -3% of the viewing population so any casuals that may watch the NHL are likely casual sports fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->