2021 NHL TV ratings thread

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I'll use my own circle for example. Many of us have tuned out. Why? Style of the game has become boring in terms physicality and scoring. Also the lack of local team success in playoffs over long term is VERY limited in Canada. Product appears geared towards another market.

Canadian ratings are not bad though...

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
the style of play may very well factor into the lower ratings. However, I think the Finals extending well into July, nearly a month past their usual start date, played a larger role in the declining ratings. Many potential viewers have moved on to outdoor summer activities. Same thing applies to the NBA Finals and their ratings decline.

I think the ideal Stanley Cup playoffs would commence one week into April with the Finals being completed by the end of May...which is exactly what happened until the early 90s.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
the style of play may very well factor into the lower ratings. However, I think the Finals extending well into July, nearly a month past their usual start date, played a larger role in the declining ratings. Many potential viewers have moved on to outdoor summer activities. Same thing applies to the NBA Finals and their ratings decline.

I think the ideal Stanley Cup playoffs would commence one week into April with the Finals being completed by the end of May...which is exactly what happened until the early 90s.

Agreed from October to June is too long. I honestly wouldn't mind if they started in the end of September and ended in may.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ending in May is a ratings killer. That puts Final games going up directly against NBA Conference Final games. This year saw the first 3 games go against NBA games, which affected the ratings. You need your Final series being played on stand alone nights. You don’t get that in May.

There is a reason why the NHL couldn’t get a real television deal until they moved the Final back into June.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

It was simply a bad matchup imo, nobody thought Montreal had a chance in the series and coupled the fact they were a Canadian team, that’s the rating. I don’t think didn’t really matter it was in July imo. I think if it was TB-VGK the ratings would have been at least in 3-4 million range average with a 5-6 million viewers had the series gone 6-7 games for the later games in the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe from Maine

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It was simply a bad matchup imo, nobody thought Montreal had a chance in the series and coupled the fact they were a Canadian team, that’s the rating. I don’t think didn’t really matter it was in July imo. I think if it was TB-VGK the ratings would have been at least in 3-4 million range average with a 5-6 million viewers had the series gone 6-7 games for the later games in the series.

I agree with this, but I’ll add going up against the NBA playoffs for game 1-3 out a damper on what was already a weak ratings series. Normally the NBA is done with the conference Final by the time the Stanley Cup Final starts.

Regardless, as mentioned many times this year’s ratings do not matter at all. The NHL already has their tv money for the next seven years and NBC had already cashed in on their investment.

I expect ratings will hit a high point next year with all games in ABC. Of course the year following will be a low point again. So get ready for a roller coaster ride over the next few years.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I agree with this, but I’ll add going up against the NBA playoffs for game 1-3 out a damper on what was already a weak ratings series. Normally the NBA is done with the conference Final by the time the Stanley Cup Final starts.

Regardless, as mentioned many times this year’s ratings do not matter at all. The NHL already has their tv money for the next seven years and NBC had already cashed in on their investment.

I expect ratings will hit a high point next year with all games in ABC. Of course the year following will be a low point again. So get ready for a roller coaster ride over the next few years.
Im curious to see how having the league on two platforms will change the dynamic. They really are attacking linear and streaming more than any other sport.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Thanks to all the posters here for another great season of ratings discussion. Next year this thread should be popping off with ESPN and TNT in the mix. See you in October.

By the way what matchup opens next season on ESPN? Gotta be Tampa raising the banner, right? Against who though? ESPN will want a big American market. Blackhawks? Rangers? Bruins?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Thanks to all the posters here for another great season of ratings discussion. Next year this thread should be popping off with ESPN and TNT in the mix. See you in October.

By the way what matchup opens next season on ESPN? Gotta be Tampa raising the banner, right? Against who though? ESPN will want a big American market. Blackhawks? Rangers? Bruins?

I would guess a Boston v Tampa doubleheader with Vegas v Colorado.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Agreed from October to June is too long. I honestly wouldn't mind if they started in the end of September and ended in may.

I think an April end would be perfect. It would also give more players the option to play in the world Championships. Many fans get burnt out from the length of the season and tune out once their team is out.

Reactions: eddygee

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I think an April end would be perfect. It would also give more players the option to play in the world Championships. Many fans get burnt out from the length of the season and tune out once their team is out.

They aren’t ending season anytime other than mid-late June especially if they want the Cup Final on ABC. As @jkrdevil pointed out numerous times, big reason why Cup Final wasn’t on network TV in 80s-early 90s was because it ended in late May during the TV sweeps. Moving the Cup Final in June allowed them to get the FOX deal and subsequent national TV deals. NHL isn’t changing that just because fans want that, it’s just good business sense

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Agree on the fans getting burned out many here were saying just that the last third of the season when there was a bunch of 100-200k numbers on NBCSN but what are ya going to do? It hopefully is good next year with all the big Pro leagues getting back in calendar sync after these last two chaotic years. Hopefully the viewership from viewers falls back in line.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
They aren’t ending season anytime other than mid-late June especially if they want the Cup Final on ABC. As @jkrdevil pointed out numerous times, big reason why Cup Final wasn’t on network TV in 80s-early 90s was because it ended in late May during the TV sweeps. Moving the Cup Final in June allowed them to get the FOX deal and subsequent national TV deals. NHL isn’t changing that just because fans want that, it’s just good business sense

Ya, it’s a dream to have a shorter season or have it end early. I know it will never happen. The NHL or the NHLPA will not be cool with a decrease in revenue, just to please fans.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Agree on the fans getting burned out many here were saying just that the last third of the season when there was a bunch of 100-200k numbers on NBCSN but what are ya going to do? It hopefully is good next year with all the big Pro leagues getting back in calendar sync after these last two chaotic years. Hopefully the viewership from viewers falls back in line.

I am not sure we will get to the peaks of pre covid without big hockey market matchups. Now a days there is a lot of options for entertainment. Also, with more games going into streaming, much fewer casual fans will tune in.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Better to get this type of series out of the way now before the ESPN/TNT contract kicks in.

I expect Boston, Chicago, NYR, Philadephia, Las Vegas, LA Kings, Pittsburgh, Washington (and too a lesser extent maybe even Dallas, Seattle, St.louis, Minnesota).........too get a lot of Big Market Bias starting next season

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

End of April puts the first two rounds of the playoffs up against the NCAA basketball tournament, which means you lose one of your new TV partners. That’s a more
Congested time period with NCAA basketball, NBA end of season, Masters and beginning of baseball.

Memorial Day through Mid-June allows you to have your championship to have nights by itself on the calendar (with exception to baseball, which is in the dog days by that point).

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Better to get this type of series out of the way now before the ESPN/TNT contract kicks in.

I expect Boston, Chicago, NYR, Philadephia, Las Vegas, LA Kings, Pittsburgh, Washington (and too a lesser extent maybe even Dallas, Seattle, St.louis, Minnesota).........too get a lot of Big Market Bias starting next season
Dallas doesn’t draw nationally or even locally.

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011

I'm curious but why isn't Tampa on your list given their recent success? What's keeping keeping off this list?

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal

I would switch LA Kings and Dallas for Tampa and Colorado. And of course, NO CANADIAN TEAMS, no NJ, BUF, CMB, NASH, FLA, ANA, SJ or CAR... no matter how great they are doing.

And if DET is doing great, they might be in the top 5 for ABC.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I would switch LA Kings and Dallas for Tampa and Colorado. And of course, NO CANADIAN TEAMS, no NJ, BUF, CMB, NASH, FLA, ANA, SJ or CAR... no matter how great they are doing.

And if DET is doing great, they might be in the top 5 for ABC.

Good call on Detroit. Would def be considered a big market. Too bad they're probably not going to be very good next season.

The Kings are def not a huge hockey market....but I think just having the "LA" factor next season is crucial for ESPN/TNT. They can def make the Kings a big market

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Good call on Detroit. Would def be considered a big market. Too bad they're probably not going to be very good next season.

The Kings are def not a huge hockey market....but I think just having the "LA" factor next season is crucial for ESPN/TNT. They can def make the Kings a big market

For LA to fall in love with the kings you need a first rate star there like a connor McDavid. Kings were hot when Wayne was there but then fell off with the casuals. I'm surprised no one mentioned Seattle and the Pacific Northwest which has been a market void of the NHL for so long.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Euros did great on ESPN this year considering the start times. Hopefully that means the NHL can also get some good ratings going forward on ESPN with better start times.

ESPN's Euro 2020 viewership up 25 percent with 1.1 million average per game through quarterfinals - World Soccer Talk

espn-euro-2020-tv-ratings-1.png

Audiences for Quarterfinal Matches on ABC/ESPN:
1. Ukraine vs. England, 2.534 million
2. Belgium vs. Italy, 2.368 million
3. Czech Republic vs. Denmark, 1.694 million
4. Switzerland vs. Spain, 1.612 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad