2021 NHL TV ratings thread

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
What's crazy to me is the shift from always having afternoon games on weekends to prime time games. To be honest I never understood the love for afternoon games.

Part of it is right now the league is off schedule so the daytime slots are filled. The other part is sports programming has become more important the last decade (and last half decade) opening up the night spots pre-final. Also, NBC learned that early in the playoff putting a live game in primetime allowed them to also put SNL live across all time zones increasing their profits over reruns (although SNL is now done for the season).

The prime time over the air game games pre-Final are probably done this year. I’m going to imagine the NBA gets those slots over the NHL on ABC and Turner is cable only. That means the return of later round playoff games in the afternoon.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Part of it is right now the league is off schedule so the daytime slots are filled. The other part is sports programming has become more important the last decade (and last half decade) opening up the night spots pre-final. Also, NBC learned that early in the playoff putting a live game in primetime allowed them to also put SNL live across all time zones increasing their profits over reruns (although SNL is now done for the season).

The prime time over the air game games pre-Final are probably done this year. I’m going to imagine the NBA gets those slots over the NHL on ABC and Turner is cable only. That means the return of later round playoff games in the afternoon.

It will be really intresting to see the schedule since they have the same deals there's going to bee NBA/NHL games all days all the time between ESPN/Turner and with the conference finals we could see them going east one sport west in the other one for some doubleheaders.

Reactions: eddygee

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It will be really intresting to see the schedule since they have the same deals there's going to bee NBA/NHL games all days all the time between ESPN/Turner and with the conference finals we could see them going east one sport west in the other one for some doubleheaders.

Maybe, but it should be noted the conference final / third round in the NHL doesn’t rotate like the NBA. ESPN has first choice of series every year. So that means we are likely going to have years where each network host the East series of both ect. Especially when you consider the East Final will likely be the selection of ESPN most years.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Not sure if we see any double headers because the risk with both sports that are prone to over run especially the NHL with its playoff format being prone to OT. I don't see NHL getting the lead in over NBA so that would definitely be a scheduling problem with NHL playoff OT. I see more likely a day weekend of sports promoted across Turner with a NHL/NBA weekends and games spread out by at least 2 to 3 hours with pre and post game coverage fitted in. Don't think we'll see the NBC type of scheduling ala Preakness/Kentucky Derby leading in to the big NHL game.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Not sure if we see any double headers because the risk with both sports that are prone to over run especially the NHL with its playoff format being prone to OT. I don't see NHL getting the lead in over NBA so that would definitely be a scheduling problem with NHL playoff OT. I see more likely a day weekend of sports promoted across Turner with a NHL/NBA weekends and games spread out by at least 2 to 3 hours with pre and post game coverage fitted in. Don't think we'll see the NBC type of scheduling ala Preakness/Kentucky Derby leading in to the big NHL game.

Maybe not but i was thinking some conference finals weekends networks might liked the idea of an all sports lineup.

Reactions: eddygee

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
upload_2021-5-31_15-22-35.png

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Ratings: UCL final, NHL, PGA Tour, Liga MX

Saturday’s Islanders-Bruins NHL Stanley Cup semifinal Game 1 averaged 2.08 million viewers on NBC (including additional streaming viewership not tracked by Nielsen), trailing only Bruins-Capitals Game 1 in the first round as the most-watched game of the postseason. Viewership surged over last year’s comparable Stars-Avalanche Game 1 in the “bubble” (1.29M).
Game 2 of the series on Tuesday night averaged 1.55 million on NBCSN, the largest audience of the playoffs on cable and well above last year’s comparable Bruins-Lightning Game 2 (1.20M).
On Sunday, Golden Knights-Avalanche Game 1 averaged 1.60 million — down from Bruins-Lightning in a similar window last year (1.79M).

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Ratings: UCL final, NHL, PGA Tour, Liga MX

Saturday’s Islanders-Bruins NHL Stanley Cup semifinal Game 1 averaged 2.08 million viewers on NBC (including additional streaming viewership not tracked by Nielsen), trailing only Bruins-Capitals Game 1 in the first round as the most-watched game of the postseason. Viewership surged over last year’s comparable Stars-Avalanche Game 1 in the “bubble” (1.29M).
Game 2 of the series on Tuesday night averaged 1.55 million on NBCSN, the largest audience of the playoffs on cable and well above last year’s comparable Bruins-Lightning Game 2 (1.20M).
On Sunday, Golden Knights-Avalanche Game 1 averaged 1.60 million — down from Bruins-Lightning in a similar window last year (1.79M).
champions league final beat the NHL playoffs

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Ratings: Stanley Cup, MLB, softball, lacrosse

The opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 642,000 viewers on the NBC Sports family of networks, per Sports Business Journal, up from 6% from last year’s months-delayed late summer postseason (605K) but the second-smallest opening round figure since 2013.
Viewership declined 17% from the 2019 postseason, the most recent to begin as scheduled in April (778K). This year’s opening round included two game sevens, with last Friday’s Avalanche-Golden Knights Game 7 averaging 998,000 viewers on NBCSN. Figures were not available for Monday’s Canadiens-Maple Leafs Game 7 on CNBC. There were no first round game sevens last year, but in 2019 Hurricanes-Capitals averaged 1.64 million, Maple Leafs-Bruins 1.30 million and Golden Knights-Sharks 1.07 million.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Rogers must be salivating at the potential Montreal/Boston Cup Final. Outside of them it’s a bunch of sunbelt teams and teams that won’t move the needle up North.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Rogers must be salivating at the potential Montreal/Boston Cup Final. Outside of them it’s a bunch of sunbelt teams and teams that won’t move the needle up North.

They would be stupid to think that the Habs could beat the AVS... Or the Knights...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They could. Did anyone think they would beat the Leafs?

I don't think anyone thought that the leafs were going to beat teams like the Avs/Knights. I think they were just expected to advance to the second round and play Edmonton. Weirder things have happened but I don't think the Media is thinking, right now, the habs will play Boston.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Really? He seems like a great guy. He gives my daughter photography lessons.
Cool. Doesnt change the fact that he was fired in 2014 for sending creeepy DM's to random women on twitter. He hasnt been heard from in any public capacity since then.

This also isnt the first time you've tried to bring him up as your "source", and the other times you did it you were rightfully called out as being full of shit, so not sure why you'd go back to that well again

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad