2021 NHL TV ratings thread

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
That Game 1 average for Toronto - Montreal is higher than the 6-game average of the NBA finals between the Raps and Warriors in 2019 in Canada....and this is just for a first round match between 2 Canadian teams. Impressive to say the least.

It's impressive but you're comparing apples to oranges. Leafs/Habs are in the two biggest cities in Canada and have the two biggest fan bases in hockey.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Surprised the BOS/WAS game is getting dumped to the USA Network tonight. I figured it would be on NBCSN.
I guess NBCSN wants to showcase as many teams as possible, even the dreaded Canadian teams, for familiarity to the American audience for subsequent rounds?

-- Even if it means bumping popular teams to USA or CNBC at times in the first round. I noticed Oilers-Jets got NBCSN while Bruins-Caps were shifted to USA tonight? For game 1, the Canadian games, I think, weren't on NBCSN, so I simply assumed they'd be relegated off of it for the entire first round. Nope

It surprised me, but hey, BBCSN will have to shieca Canadian team in the final four thus year, so busy as well get them familiar to American audience?

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

the Liga Mx matches on Univision Saturday & Sunday (1.375M & 1.280M) easily outperformed all the other soccer on TV last week as well as all the nationally televised NHL playoffs (yes, even the ones on NBC)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Looking ahead to the potential second round and I can see why the league prefers time zone based divisions and mostly divisional playoffs in normal years. Looking 3 of 4 series being in the Eastern time for the most part. Instead of being able to run double headers every night they are going probably going to have to have two games go against each other every other night.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Looking ahead to the potential second round and I can see why the league prefers time zone based divisions and mostly divisional playoffs in normal years. Looking 3 of 4 series being in the Eastern time for the most part. Instead of being able to run double headers every night they are going probably going to have to have two games go against each other every other night.
That's a good point

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Not a good look for the NHL anyway you slice it.

Lol Liga MX is not more popular than the NHL in the states. Their highest rating ever for any match is a 1.5 million. Stanley Cup finals are 8.5 peaking at 9 million. Soccer fans are hilarious in the states. It's the most global niche sport there and I'm a soccer fan. US has a lot of Hispanic population where it's their number one league but it ends there. That's one particular demographic and not particularly friendly to many advertisers.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Lol Liga MX is not more popular than the NHL in the states. Their highest rating ever for any match is a 1.5 million. Stanley Cup finals are 8.5 peaking at 9 million. Soccer fans are hilarious in the states. It's the most global niche sport there and I'm a soccer fan. US has a lot of Hispanic population where it's their number one league but it ends there. That's one particular demographic and not particularly friendly to many advertisers.

Uggh I hate having to defend Liga MX here as I can't stand alot of their fans on social media because I have actually had WAY more conversations than I like where the conversation around that league usually revolves around aggressive racial insults over generalization of American soccer fans etc. all rooted in deep resentment about folks not respecting that league as its the most watched League in the US but all everyone will talk about is EPL. The hispanic often heavy mexican american fandom in that league make it almost a domestic league in the US. But to the defending part , their Finals having gotten WAY more than 1.5m it was 2014 where it happened where 2 of their biggest teams met and drew 5.4m on US TV. Their finals usually average between 1.5-3mil depending on teams. EPL final deciding league title games 1-1.5m MLS Cup 1.5-2m. As you noted the issue there is the Hispanic market has been historically undervalued by some in the media and advertisers tho that's slowly changing.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Uggh I hate having to defend Liga MX here as I can't stand alot of their fans have actually had WAY more conversations where the conversation around that league usually revolves around aggressive racial insults rooted in deep resentment about folks not respecting that League as its the most watched League in the US. The Hispanic often heavy mexican american fandom in that league make it almost a domestic league. But to the defending part their Finals having got WAY more than 1.5m it was 2014 where it happen where 2 of their biggest teams met and drew 5.4m on US TV. Their finals usually average between 1.5-3mil depending on teams. EPL final game 1-1.5m MLS 1.5-2m. As you noted the issue their is the Hispanic market has been historically undervalued by some in the media and advertisers tho thats slowly changing.

Fair - a couple years ago I noticed they had 1.5 million for their finals and the article I read was super bullish on the rating. I agree though there is this whole ratings way but there is more to ratings than just the amount of users watching it.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Fair - a couple years ago I noticed they had 1.5 million for their finals and the article I read was super bullish on the rating. I agree though there is this whole ratings way but there is more to ratings than just the amount of users watching it.
Agreed

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The games will be blacked out locally for the most part (except for their exclusives).

ESPN+ has already had NHL.tv package for a few years now. The exclusives are the big thing.
Not really. They would show like 2 to 3 games a week during a normal season, as compared to the 1100+ they are gonna be showing with this new contract

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not really. They would show like 2 to 3 games a week during a normal season, as compared to the 1100+ they are gonna be showing with this new contract

But they run NHL.tv and you can purchase it through ESPN+. Plus to the point of local ratings, those games will still be blacked out.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
What bonehead made the schedule for tonight? Only 2 games and they’re only 30 minutes apart. It’s a shitty day outside so I’d love to stay in and watch as much playoff hockey as possible. Meanwhile there’s 4 NBA games and they’re spaced out perfectly.

Unlike the NBA the NHL has to schedule for two networks in two different countries. They have an over the air NBC prime time slot to fill with Bruins-Isles and Sportsnet and wants Leafs-Habs in the traditional Hockey Night slot.

Every weird quirk in the NHL’s playoff scheduling has to do with the fact the league has to satisfy broadcasters in multiple countries who often have competing interest.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
What's crazy to me is the shift from always having afternoon games on weekends to prime time games. To be honest I never understood the love for afternoon games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad