GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency & Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn’t exaggerate them though. That’s exactly what they’d accrue (give or take a few hundred K) if they went in like this.

A team with like 100 grand of cap space based on a 23 man roster can accrue enough to make a big time deadline acquisition if they run a 21/22 man roster on home stands like the Avs do. They don’t need 4 mil in cap space right now to do what yo e suggesting.
So then maybe it's Jack Eichel, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Carey Price at the deadline.

Reactions: Foppberg and iand22

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Don't think this a really a cup winning roster. The same issues are still here and have not been addressed. The team is worse on paper as well.

They Avs are too soft, small and mostly the same group of guys who have been proven to get outmuscled and outworked in the playoffs. Who is going to do the heavy work on defense for example, counting on EJ doesn't work.

2nd-4th lines are not what they should be for a cup winner. It's not realistic to demand one line to carry your offense all the way to a cup. If the 1st doesn't show up the Avs are done.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a very good team that is especially built to breeze trough the regular season. However, don't see them going all the way this year unless something significant is added.

Saying you don’t think they’ll win the cup is fair. Odds are against that.

But, this they’re too soft stuff and get out worked doesn’t make any sense. The Avs played like shit in games 3/4 against Vegas, but showed plenty of fight after that.

They had exceptionally bad performances from a couple players in that series that they were unable to overcome. I’d actually say that it looked like the Knights were the ones fading towards the end of that series. The Avs certainly didn’t look like a team that was getting out worked.

Teams have to build up scar tissue. They need to gain experience and learn from defeats in the postseason. This has always been the way it is.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In all seriousness if everything comes back clean in this Kane investigation I would absolutely love to find a way to get our paws on him. Not at the full 7M, but if they can get some retention or find another way to bring that guy in what an addition he would be. Over the last 3 combined seasons he’s scored at a 33 goal, 64 point pace /82. On the freaking Sharks. He hits like a truck. Forechecks hard. Goes to the net and scores goals in that area (which we’re really going to nice a falloff from with Saader gone).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So I’ve spent a little bit of time looking at potential trade targets in that 3-4.5M ish range and there’s one forward who really stands out to me. Would Ottawa be open to trading Connor Brown? 2 years left at 3.6M. 4M in actual salary each of those two years which you know Eugene hates. Just scored at a 31 goal pace. Great PK’er. Right shot which we definitely lack. Probably doesn’t have the playmaking ability I wish Naz/Burkies linemate would possess but still a very valuable player. I could perhaps even see him playing in Landy’s spot with Mikko and Mackinnon and Landy could play 2nd line.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
So I’ve spent a little bit of time looking at potential trade targets in that 3-4.5M ish range and there’s one forward who really stands out to me. Would Ottawa be open to trading Connor Brown? 2 years left at 3.6M. 4M in actual salary each of those two years which you know Eugene hates. Just scored at a 31 goal pace. Great PK’er. Right shot which we definitely lack. Probably doesn’t have the playmaking ability I wish Naz/Burkies linemate would possess but still a very valuable player. I could perhaps even see him playing in Landy’s spot with Mikko and Mackinnon and Landy could play 2nd line.

Not sure why Ottawa would move him, but I would be happy with that add. He’s a good player.

By the sounds of it, Ottawa is looking to add, not subtract, so I don’t see them moving him. Unless they trade him for a centre, which unfortunately the Avs can’t provide.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Interesting suggestion. Just looking through Brown's stats and I could certainly see the appeal there.

Connor Brown led Ottawa in 5v5 goals/60 last year.

upload_2021-8-1_15-53-31.png

He was also 3rd in 5v5 points/60, though he did play far more games than the two guys ahead of him.

upload_2021-8-1_15-54-2.png

He also led Ottawa in 5v5 takeaways/60, with an impressive 2:1 ratio of takeaways vs giveaways.

upload_2021-8-1_15-56-8.png

In possession metrics he was 3rd among Senators forwards with over 5 games played. On such a bad team it's impressive to be a positive possession player.

upload_2021-8-1_15-58-31.png

He was also one of Ottawa's top PKers last year:

OTT

The question is, are you going to get the player who put up 40 points in 18-20 minutes on a bad team (clearly playing a bigger role than he would on the Avs), or are you going to get the guy who falls back to being a 30 point guy once he gets back to playing ~14-15 mins a night?

upload_2021-8-1_16-9-33.png

I find it interesting how similar Brown's last two seasons are to DeBrusk's first two seasons. Brown posted 16+27 in 19/20 which is identical to DeBrusk's production in 17/18. Then they both flipped and had 20+ goals and 14-15 assists each.

upload_2021-8-1_16-4-48.png

With Brown you get 2 years at $3.6m until he's an UFA. And Ottawa likely would want a decent price for him.

With DeBrusk you get 1 year at $3.625m but then you still control him as an RFA. Boston are known to be keen on moving him, so maybe the price is a little bit lower.

With DeBrusk you also get a LW which fits a little better on our 2nd line given that Burakovsky prefers playing on the right - though this is a minor point as we could also use another RHS in general.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-1_16-2-47.png
    upload_2021-8-1_16-2-47.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 7

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Fleuru will play for Chicago per Friedman

It's going to be tough division, probably the toughest division actually. Arizona is the tank team, but everyone else is going for it.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

It's going to be tough division, probably the toughest division actually. Arizona is the tank team, but everyone else is going for it.
Nashville have done nothing to go for it. They'll be 2nd last in the division.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Just like Grubauer, it’s going to be interesting to see how he does without one of the leagues best defences in front of him.

My bet is not great.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Just looking around the league at some forwards... Obviously these are not all ideal solutions for one reason or another, but there might be someone on this list worth taking a swing on if the price is right.

• Voracek - $8.25m x 3, age 31, 6'2'' 214lbs. Very expensive caphit and not ideal term which probably rules him out. If you can get some nice retention though his playmaking and size would be a nice fit on our 2nd line.
  • Kessel $6.8m x 1, but with retention it would be doable.
  • Tarasenko - $7.5m x 2 years. Injury issues, but if he can get back to 80% of where he was this could be a sneaky pickup on the cheap. Either you'd need retention or to send Compher the other way. Probably unrealistic to expect the Blues to trade him to Colorado though.
  • Zucker - $5.5m x 2. He hasn't been the best fit in Pittsburgh so they're keen to move him. He isn't too far removed from a 30+30 season 3 years ago. His contract expires in 2023 when we'll need capspace. Pittsburgh would probably be fine with retaining some to facilitate a move; or alternatively you can send Compher in the other direction (or both).
  • Drouin - $5.5m x 2. Going through issues, but a Compher/Drouin flip would be interesting. A playmaker for the 2nd line.
  • Max Domi - $5.3m x1. Had a terrible season in Columbus but could be a buy-low candidate to bounce back on a better team on the 2nd line. He insists on playing C which isn't ideal though unless we want to play Newhook at 2LW.
  • JT. Miller - would be a perfect addition for us as a versatile C/LW with close to PPG pace lately including in the playoffs 2 years ago. This is where we really miss having Timmins as a trade chip though as we probably don't have the ammunition to get this done without giving up Newhook or Barron.
  • Josh Bailey - $5m x 3. Probably too big of a contract to take on at his age (31), but he fits the playmaker role next to Kadri and Burakovsky. Maybe NYI will be in a pinch capwise after resigning Palmieri, Zajac, Cizikas, and their RFA's Beauvillier, Pelech, and Sorokin, making them easier to trade with. Not a huge fan of that contract though so there would ideally be some retention by a 3rd team.
  • Elias Lindholm - the dream, but not getting him without giving up Newhook.
  • Labanc - $4.725m x 3. SJ have been rumored to want to trade him. Risky pickup after 2 down years unless there's serious retention.
  • Dvorak - $4.45m x 4. Would be expensive but would solve a 2nd line spot for a few years. Still only 25 years old.

Other names potentially available: Rakell, DeBrusk, Connor Brown, Bertuzzi, Rust, Copp

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Damn it, Fleury.

That turned out to be a hell of a trade for Chicago. They’ve improved a good margin. Games against them are going to be a fun next year.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Damn it, Fleury.

That turned out to be a hell of a trade for Chicago. They’ve improved a good margin. Games against them are going to be a fun next year.

Good C depth:
  • Toews
  • Dach
  • Strome
  • Tyler Johnson
  • Gaudette
Several goal scorers:
  • Kane
  • Kurashev
  • DeBrincat
  • Nylander
  • Kubalik
Big and physical top 3 D
  • Jones
  • McCabe
  • Murphy
Fleury/Lankinen tandem in net.

That's a pretty solid team that could surprise, especially if Fleury continues how he played last year. Should be fun to watch whatever happens.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Good C depth:
  • Toews
  • Dach
  • Strome
  • Tyler Johnson
  • Gaudette
Several goal scorers:
  • Kane
  • Kurashev
  • DeBrincat
  • Nylander
  • Kubalik
Big and physical top 3 D
  • Jones
  • McCabe
  • Murphy
Fleury/Lankinen tandem in net.

That's a pretty solid team that could surprise, especially if Fleury continues how he played last year. Should be fun to watch whatever happens.

Yeah, they should be pretty good. I’m not sure how good their defence will be, but as a whole I think they’ve got a strong team.

The whole Central is looking tough. Arizona will get bent over on a nightly basis, but outside of that it’s looking quite competitive.

It should make following the regular season more entertaining next year. Unlike this season where we knew the Avs would finish 1st/2nd right from the start.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, they should be pretty good. I’m not sure how good their defence will be, but as a whole I think they’ve got a strong team.

The whole Central is looking tough. Arizona will get bent over on a nightly basis, but outside of that it’s looking quite competitive.

It should make following the regular season more fun next year. Unlike this season where we knew the Avs would finish 1st/2nd right from the start.
Right now I'd say

1. Colorado
2. Winnipeg
3. Dallas

4. Chicago
5. Minnesota
6. St Louis

7. Nashville

8. Arizona

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Chicago is by far the most improved team in the entire league right now IMO. Say what you will about the price they paid for Jones but they got a Top 10D in the league back. They got creative to add a Solid Top 9 Center in Johnson for free. They added a Vezina winning #1G for free. And they are going to have a healthy #1C back in the lineup who wasn't with them last year.

They have great center depth now with Toews/Dach/Johnson down the middle. And great wingers honestly to surround them with Kane/DeBrincat/Kubalik/Strome.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'd have our division as:

Colorado
Chicago
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Winnipeg
Nashville
Arizona

With probably 5 teams making the playoffs since the Pacific is complete dirt
Why so high on St. Louis? They barely scraped past Arizona last year for the 4th seed and got weaker this offseason, losing Hoffman, Schwartz, and Dunn, along with possibly Tarasenko. Sure they added Buchnevich and Saad but that won't improve them enough to vault ahead of some other teams in the division. Their goaltending is also worse than most other playoff contenders in the division.

And why so low on Winnipeg? They fixed their biggest weakness by adding Schmidt and Dillon, and still have a really strong top 9 and an elite goalie. I think they could be our biggest threat in the division.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'd have our division as:

Colorado
Chicago
St. Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Winnipeg
Nashville
Arizona

With probably 5 teams making the playoffs since the Pacific is complete dirt

My early guess

Colorado
— gap —
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Dallas
— gap —
Chicago
St Louis
— gap —
Nashville
Arizona

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why so high on St. Louis? They barely scraped past Arizona last year for the 4th seed and got weaker this offseason, losing Hoffman, Schwartz, and Dunn, along with possibly Tarasenko. Sure they added Buchnevich and Saad but that won't improve them enough to vault ahead of some other teams in the division. Their goaltending is also worse than most other playoff contenders in the division.

And why so low on Winnipeg? They fixed their biggest weakness by adding Schmidt and Dillon, and still have a really strong top 9 and an elite goalie. I think they could be our biggest threat in the division.

I dont think they got weaker at all.
Tarasenko hardly played for them at all. Schwartz is on his last legs and didn't look very good all year.

They added a two solid Top 6 wingers in Saad and Buchnevich who are clear upgrades on Schwartz and Tarasenko at this point.

Winnipeg barely scraped into the playoffs last year and I dont think Dillon is a good player at all. That Top 9 of there's isn't getting any younger and in a much tougher division I expect them to falter quite a bit.

I dont think there's much separation between basically all of WPG/DAL/STL/MIN though. They could wind up in any order.

I think Avs will.be the clear #1 so long as Kumper is healthy, and Chicago will establish themselves as the 2 seed by a little bit.

Nashville will leg behind the big group and Arizona is openly tanking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad