GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency & Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Hindsight and all, and the risks probably made it a no-go, but trading for Nedeljkovic vs Kuemper would have set the team up much better.

In terms of money it’d be the exact same, in terms of proven goaltender it’d be a lot worse.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
He said the same thing about Jost + JTC + Kerfoot 2 years ago, and then traded for Kadri just an hour later.

Last year everyone thought he was done and he added Toews out of the blue.

We'll see what he does. I imagine he'll do something in the next 6 weeks

He does usually make his big moves in the off-season but do you think he might save those moves for the deadline this time after giving some young guys a shot?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
In terms of having a 1st and Timmons to trade with, we’d have a 1st and Timmons to trade with.

and Kuemper is far from a sure thing.
This is fascinating to me.

We legitimately have no idea what Ned is yet. He’s got a handful of NHl games under his belt.

Give coaches time to spot weaknesses in a goalie, then you know what they really are.

Kuemper far from a sure thing? Only health wise.

There is absolutely no questions on his quality of play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It honestly sounds like two mentality ill people throwing darts at each other.

One is a hot headed gambling addict, who may or may not be betting on his own team, and trying to throw games. Seems to neglect many of his responsibilities to himself and his kids, and thinks there's nothing wrong with himself.

The other sounds kinda psycho, uses the same kids, and the other person's gambling addiction, to make him look even worse to get more out of their divorce (although in filing bankruptcy he doesn't sound like he has much left to give her, which maybe also just be a tactic strictly to not give her anything) and to possibly get him into big-time trouble not only with the law, but also his employer out of sure pettiness and spite.

I could be wrong, but that's what I get from reading both sides Tweets.

I mean if she's telling the truth, she's not mentally ill.

Kane's statement wasn't believable at all to me. He didn't even attempt to explain how she arrived at the conclusion that he gambled on games. He didn't attempt to explain why he was in Europe instead of with his daughter either.

She has very specific allegations that he didn't really address. It was just a blanket denial which seems far fetched.

Reactions: Vk1ing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean if she's telling the truth, she's not mentally ill.

Kane's statement wasn't believable at all to me. He didn't even attempt to explain how she arrived at the conclusion that he gambled on games. He didn't attempt to explain why he was in Europe instead of with his daughter either.

She has very specific allegations that he didn't really address. It was just a blanket denial which seems far fetched.
Maybe not mentally ill. But the last thing this scenario needs is them doing all this in public and over social media.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I personally would’ve gone for Mrazek/Freddy or paid more to solve the position long term.

Yeah, I would have liked for Sakic to acquire Merzlikins but I’m not surprised at the outcome to date. Sakic said his priority was to keep the core together and he did that while dumping Graves’ and Donskoi’s salaries. Shore up the bottom 6. Yeah, the cost of acquiring Kuemper sucked but that was forced by circumstance and Sakic’s patience. Honestly, I would rather acquire Kuemper over Andersen anyway.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I would have liked for Sakic to acquire Merzlikins but I’m not surprised at the outcome to date. Sakic said his priority was to keep the core together and he did that while dumping Graves’ and Donskoi’s salaries. Shore up the bottom 6. Yeah, the cost of acquiring Kuemper sucked but that was forced by circumstance and Sakic’s patience. Honestly, I would rather acquire Kuemper over Andersen anyway.
For the cost I disagree. If your going to pay a decently hefty price for Kuemper, might as well spend a little more to get a guy who’s got more team control.

If Kuemper had 1 more year on his deal I’d have less issue with the price we paid.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
For the cost I disagree. If your going to pay a decently hefty price for Kuemper, might as well spend a little more to get a guy who’s got more team control.

If Kuemper had 1 more year on his deal I’d have less issue with the price we paid.

It was subordinate to keeping the core together and the Avs really didn’t have the flexibility now. He better be ready to move all in next season and move deftly as circumstance dictates though.

Next TDL should be interesting in anticipating Sakic’s moves. I don’t think this FA necessarily defines Sakic as a successful or unsuccessful GM.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It was subordinate to keeping the core together and the Avs really didn’t have the flexibility now. He better be ready to move all in next season and move deftly as circumstance dictates though.

Next TDL should be interesting in anticipating Sakic’s moves. I don’t think this FA necessarily defines Sakic as a successful or unsuccessful GM.
I would expect Sakic to be conservative heading into next offseason. That’s not to say he won’t add, but it’s won’t be expensive additions.

If I had to guess, Joe is likely to wait until he knows what Mackinnon’s extension is before making any significant moves

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I would expect Sakic to be conservative heading into next offseason. That’s not to say he won’t add, but it’s won’t be expensive additions.

If I had to guess, Joe is likely to wait until he knows what Mackinnon’s extension is before making any significant moves

We lose a ton of guys next season so I think he will have no choice but to be busy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

If he hasn’t gone all in yet, I don’t imagine Sakic will in the future. Especially with most of our prime TDL assets gone.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe not mentally ill. But the last thing this scenario needs is them doing all this in public and over social media.

I don't know, if she's telling the truth, then not getting it out in the open just covers it up and allows him to keep doing what she's alleging.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We lose a ton of guys next season so I think he will have no choice but to be busy.

This.

Right now we only have 6 forwards signed for next year.

Landy, Mack, Mikko, Jost, Compher, and Newhook. RFAs will be Maltsev, and O'Connor. UFAs include Bura, Nuke, Kadri, Helm.

Defensively it will remain mostly intact. Makar, Byram, Girard, Toews, and EJ are all signed next year. And at that point I think Barron likely has that 3RD spot solidified and will be getting groomed for the 2RD spot the following year when EJ is done.

Nobody signed in net.

I think we have something like 52M spent. Almost 30M in cap space with no significant RFAs to sign. So Joe will be busy. Especially considering I don't think Kadri comes back, and I'm not sure if Nuke or Bura come back either.

That said, 30M to spend on basically an entire 2nd line, two goalies, and depth pieces. It'll actually be quite a lot of room for Joe to make moves.

15M on a full 2nd line. 7M in net. And then 6--7M filling out the depth.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
On the topic of goalies... A guy I could absolutely see Joe targeting after Kuemper(If we don't sign him) is Jusse Saros. Prime aged goalie with a solid 5-6 years left IMO. And with Nahville having Askarov not too far away down the pipeline I wonder if Saros doesn't become available over the next year or so.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That said, 30M to spend on basically an entire 2nd line, two goalies, and depth pieces. It'll actually be quite a lot of room for Joe to make moves.

15M on a full 2nd line. 7M in net. And then 6--7M filling out the depth.

Also the "good" thing about EJ's contract is it expires at the same time as Mack's and it should cover almost entirely Mack's raise.

So whatever Joe has in cap space next offseason he can spend it (and give term to the UFAs he likes) without having to worry about Mack the following year. EJ alone is taking care of it.

Reactions: hughdreamz

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
On the topic of goalies... A guy I could absolutely see Joe targeting after Kuemper(If we don't sign him) is Jusse Saros. Prime aged goalie with a solid 5-6 years left IMO. And with Nahville having Askarov not too far away down the pipeline I wonder if Saros doesn't become available over the next year or so.

I don’t think they’ll be in any rush until they know what they have in Askarov. Which means 3 years at minimum IMO.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What’s the deal with Florida? They $7.8m in cap space right now, but still have to sign Reinhart which I would assume comes in at around $7m. If that is in fact the case they’ll only have $14m to sign 7 players (21 man roster) with Barkov’s contract expiring. Looking at what Point got I think it’s fair to assume that Barkov would get paid in the range of $9.5-10m, which would only allow them $4m to sign the 6 remaining players. Is there a possibility that they lose him to free agency?

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->