2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1: July 23 (8 p.m. ET; ESPN2, SN, SN NOW, TVA Sports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

For your mock drafting needs, 1-25 (excluding Arizona at #11) is now locked in. If the last series closes out tonight, then 1-28 will be locked in. Islanders pick will drop about 10 spots, mildly bad news for the Devils who have their 1st and 2nd rounders.

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
As appealing as it would be to take a pure goal scorer like Guenther, maybe taking Johnson and hoping that he makes a Zegras type jump this coming season as a sophomore might not be the worst idea. People (like they always do) will find reasons not to take the highly skilled guy with some flaws, but if Johnson hits he has 25G, 80Pt potential. The kid can do some amazing things with the puck on his stick.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
As appealing as it would be to take a pure goal scorer like Guenther, maybe taking Johnson and hoping that he makes a Zegras type jump this coming season as a sophomore might not be the worst idea. People (like they always do) will find reasons not to take the highly skilled guy with some flaws, but if Johnson hits he has 25G, 80Pt potential. The kid can do some amazing things with the puck on his stick.

I like where the Kings are in this draft just because there’s no debate over players, it’s just grab who falls to you. No constant debate until one side is proven right/wrong.

My hopes are for one of Hughes, Eklund or Johnson. But I wouldn’t complain if Guenther is taken when we pick. He’s the least exciting forward I feel, but maybe he’d be the most consistent? I don’t know.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

Yea after watching Johnson I’m in. He has that flash and cockiness this team has never had.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Not sure about K Johnson...the Kings have tonnes of forwards we need a stud LD-man or two then add some Wingers

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not sure about K Johnson...the Kings have tonnes of forwards we need a stud LD-man or two then add some Wingers

Johnson is going to play wing in the NHL. He would provide the Kings with a creative playmaking winger who can excel on the PP (If Kopitar and Doughty ever stop playing catch from the half wall to the blueline)

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I like where the Kings are in this draft just because there’s no debate over players, it’s just grab who falls to you. No constant debate until one side is proven right/wrong.

My hopes are for one of Hughes, Eklund or Johnson. But I wouldn’t complain if Guenther is taken when we pick. He’s the least exciting forward I feel, but maybe he’d be the most consistent? I don’t know.

Oh there will be debate on draft night. We will likely see the "we should of taken player x" or "yeah, I'm just not sold on him" quotes. :laugh:

Wait till they go off board and pick Aatu Raty at 8. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Docgonzo and Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Yea after watching Johnson I’m in. He has that flash and cockiness this team has never had.
c2dd170a7037c531e89b14370709b577.jpg

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I would love Pronman's #1-7 outcome -- our pick of Clarke or Edvinsson. I know some here are down on Edvinssion, but he'd likely be the Kings selection (imo) in that scenario. Either way, Clarke or Edvinsson i'd be happy. Then spend the rest of our picks on sniper/skilled wingers, a goalie and a big meanie with some skill ;)

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I enjoy checking out different mock drafts from different pages, but I gotta say, this one has me very surprised because of one specific reason. Anyone else see it?
upload_2021-6-15_10-18-27.png

Reactions: andys

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I enjoy checking out different mock drafts from different pages, but I gotta say, this one has me very surprised because of one specific reason. Anyone else see it?View attachment 446865

Draft order is outdated (assuming this was posted recently).

Edit: Ah, Detroit taking two goalies. Reminds me of an amusing story from Washington's 1989 Draft. They drafted Olaf Kolzig with #19 then drafted Byron Dafoe with their next pick at #35. Caps GM Bryan Murray loudly said "WHAT? DID WE GIVE UP ON THE OTHER GUY ALREADY?" which got a laugh from the surrounding tables. Despite competing for the same spot early in their pro careers, Kolzig and Dafoe became good friends and were best men at each other's weddings if I recall correctly. They even "fought" once in the NHL during a line brawl.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Pronman's rankings are a bit of a shakeup. Holy crap at Cossa rocketing up--but no real surprise, he's just the one that put it to ink:

NHL Draft prospects ranking 2021: Corey Pronman's final top 151

1. Power
2. Guenther
3. Eklund
4. Hughes
5. Beniers
6. Johnson
7. Lucius
8. Clarke
9. McTavish
10. Cossa
11. Wallstedt
12. Edvinsson

I seem to find myself always agreeing with Pronman. As someone who obviously follows the team closely I never understood the massive separation so many others had between Beniers and Johnson. The talk of Beniers going 2 and Johnson possibly falling out of the Top 10 just seemed so off to me.

If this is the way the draft plays 1-7 I am even more behind taking Wallstedt at #8 and solving one of the massive system holes the Kings have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad