2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1: July 23 (8 p.m. ET; ESPN2, SN, SN NOW, TVA Sports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Sounds good in theory, but I had this conversation with an Ottawa fan awhile back. He had the same rationale, but it gets murky when you insert names into the equation. John Gibson was a bubble 1st rounder in 2011. Ottawa ended up with two picks late in the round and spent it on Stefan Noesen and Matt Puempel. They didn't provide much utility (granted Ottawa traded Noesen while he still had value).

Buffalo passed on Andrei Vasilevskiy twice for Mikhail Grigorenko and Zemgus Girgensons. Even in the moment, some were worried whether Grigorenko was a boom/bust project and Girgensons had limited upside. Heck, Tampa took Slater Koekkoek before Vasilevskiy.

I thought San Jose might have interest in Thatcher Demko in 2014, but they opted for Nikolai Goldobin.

TL;DR 1st round forwards/D becoming replacement level guys happens more frequently than most of us like to ackwnowledge. I'm not saying the Kings need to take a goalie at #8 since it looks like there's a top tier of 9 skaters who could be top PP unit type guys, but I think it's a conversation to be had.

Sure, and I understand that. That's where you have to be sure your scouting and development team has done their homework.

The Kings have done a good job with goalies, so I'm less worried than, say, Dallas when it comes down to picking a goalie with a first round pick. Jack Campbell is the prime example of being able to identify talent, but not knowing what to do with it. He was never a bad goalie, he was just expected to deal with the mental aspect alone while in Dallas.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Sure, and I understand that. That's where you have to be sure your scouting and development team has done their homework.

The Kings have done a good job with goalies, so I'm less worried than, say, Dallas when it comes down to picking a goalie with a first round pick. Jack Campbell is the prime example of being able to identify talent, but not knowing what to do with it. He was never a bad goalie, he was just expected to deal with the mental aspect alone while in Dallas.

Yannetti mentioned that the team intended to draft Connor Hellebuyck in 2012 but got sniped by Winnipeg. Sometimes there's a bit of luck with taking mid-round goalies.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Meh. If they do go goalie, i sure as heck hope it's because of the player and not simply because we have a LT need.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If they’re gonna use the first rounder on a goalie, it can’t be a six year project. I’d go with the European kid, sign him to an ELC and put him on the Reign next year if possible. I don’t think you could do that with Cossa based on the CHL agreement.

Wallstedt played 22 games in a top men’s league last year. So he should be able to transition to the AHL right away.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I’d be disappointed with a goalie with a good defenseman or forward available. They have been able to do fine in net with lower draft picks, undrafted, and reclamation projects. The goalie would have to be pretty special for them to grab 1 that high.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The way we built up our RD prospect pool is the same way we are going to build up our left side. Go to the draft with a plan, get BPA for that tier but now target LD men in that tier if you think they have the best upside. Be patient, but also be aware on who's on the market. Keep a pulse on what is going on.

No reason to force trades and rumors that aren't realistic because we rely on a hope that the player is available or wants to sign with us.

Nobody thought Arvindsson was to be traded, expecially to the Kings. No rumor, no buzz at all.
So keep an eye for under the radar D men, sometimes the best trades are the ones that nobody saw comming.
Every time I mock the 2021 Entry draft the Kings always lose out on the D-man they like or want,every time! I'm sure Blake has done the same with his scouts and Mark Yannetti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad