2021 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1: July 23 (8 p.m. ET; ESPN2, SN, SN NOW, TVA Sports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
THN Draft Preview available on Zinio ($3 through the app, $6 through the website).

Their top 10: Power, Edvinsson, Guenther, Eklund, Beniers, Hughes, Clarke, Johnson, McTavish, Lucius.

It's also free with subscription/$10 if you go to this link: FREE WITH SUBSCRIPTION | 2021 DRAFT PREVIEW | 7406

I try to grab several previews. My favorite is Hockey Prospect's Black Book, but it's the most expensive. THN is decent for its price.

Edit: I just saw it's also $9.99 shipping. I don't like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Zissou

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I think these are McKenzie's rankings, still? But the issue is pretty in depth, at least it used to be.

I think McKenzie left THN for a TV gig in the mid-late 90's. THN's a nice inexpensive reference, but in previous years they always handicapped themselves by releasing it before the U18's. Tough thing with print media, an early April ranking might look outdated by the time the draft normally happened in June.

Although I still have a grudge against the THN rankings since they'll usually have an outlier or two. In 2011, they had Zack Phillips ranked #9 when most had him in the 20-30 range (he went 28th).

In my keeper league, if somebody no shows the draft, they're defaulted to THN. The night before the draft, my old college roommate was visiting and I was driving him around until like 4am. I overslept and woke up in a panic and yelled "OH CRAP ZACK PHILLIPS." Yup, I had missed my pick and was assigned Phillips who never played in the NHL.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm completely enthralled and fascinated with Edvinsson. Not his skills, film, etc. -- i haven't seen him at all nor know much about him. It's the fact people/experts are soooo divided on him. It's so interesting to me. He's the one guy i'm going to follow his career post-draft no matter who drafts him. It's somewhat similar, in a way, to Caufield in 2019 -- where some loved him and some questioned if he'd ever step on NHL ice.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’d use #8 to package up for a defenceman. I doubt it’s doable but I’d try to use it to acquire Byram and would even go as far as including Turcotte, reluctantly. Given the blue line they have in Colorado, Byram might be available... wishful thinking I know.

If not Byram, I’d definitely try to move it in a package for either a top 6 forward or to fill that D spot. The problem is though that the value of the pick isn’t quite what it would be in a normal year, but perhaps that’s where our cap space come into play. It’s going to be an interesting off season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I’d use #8 to package up for a defenceman. I doubt it’s doable but I’d try to use it to acquire Byram and would even go as far as including Turcotte, reluctantly. Given the blue line they have in Colorado, Byram might be available... wishful thinking I know.

If not Byram, I’d definitely try to move it in a package for either a top 6 forward or to fill that D spot. The problem is though that the value of the pick isn’t quite what it would be in a normal year, but perhaps that’s where our cap space come into play. It’s going to be an interesting off season.

Turcotte and the 8OA is too rich for my blood. I'd just stick at 8 and take the defenseman that falls.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm completely enthralled and fascinated with Edvinsson. Not his skills, film, etc. -- i haven't seen him at all nor know much about him. It's the fact people/experts are soooo divided on him. It's so interesting to me. He's the one guy i'm going to follow his career post-draft no matter who drafts him. It's somewhat similar, in a way, to Caufield in 2019 -- where some loved him and some questioned if he'd ever step on NHL ice.

He was extremely inconsistent in different levels of play from what I've read and heard. Not to sound like a stat watcher, but I saw someone say that Edvinsson looks like Victor Hedman - at the same age, Hedman was near .5 points/game. Edvinsson had 1 assist in 10 games at the same level (SHL).

Of course, if you think you're getting Hedman, you go for it. If you think you're getting Forbort, though, you don't want to spend a high first-round pick on him.

I'm not averse to trading up to get a player you like, but trading 8 + Turcotte for Byram seems pretty steep. I'd rather just take the next player on the draft and use some other capital to acquire a less expensive player.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
He was extremely inconsistent in different levels of play from what I've read and heard. Not to sound like a stat watcher, but I saw someone say that Edvinsson looks like Victor Hedman - at the same age, Hedman was near .5 points/game. Edvinsson had 1 assist in 10 games at the same level (SHL).

Of course, if you think you're getting Hedman, you go for it. If you think you're getting Forbort, though, you don't want to spend a high first-round pick on him.

I'm not averse to trading up to get a player you like, but trading 8 + Turcotte for Byram seems pretty steep. I'd rather just take the next player on the draft and use some other capital to acquire a less expensive player.

He's still super young and raw (does this description sound like I am describing Mark Wahlberg in the opening scene in Boogie Nights?) but lead the entire SHL with the worst +/-.

He's a project for sure.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Anyone remember the site with the draft simulator last year where you could make the picks, trade them etc? It was a fun tool with a brief description on the players. I cant seem to find it this year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Anyone remember the site with the draft simulator last year where you could make the picks, trade them etc? It was a fun tool with a brief description on the players. I cant seem to find it this year.

draftsim

They updated it finally with the lottery set now.

Thank you for answering this, Smythe! I also put that sim (as well as FC's) in the 1st post so it's easier to find.

Reactions: SmytheKing

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
draftsim

They updated it finally with the lottery set now.

I don't bet often, but...

tenor.gif

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Futile Mock Draft 1.0 (team's top five prospects via THN listed underneath)

1st Round
-----------
1. Buffalo - LD Owen Power
[C/RW D.Cozens | RW J.Quinn | LW J.Peterka | G U.Luukkonen | LD R.Johnson]

Rebuild 2.0 on the way for Buffalo. Some questions about Power's offensive upside, but that would be covered by Rasmus Dahlin.

2. Seattle - C Matt Beniers
[N/A]

Does Ron Francis take a character center with some similarities to himself?

3. Anaheim - LD Simon Edvinsson
[C T.Zegras | RD J.Drysdale | RW J.Perreault | LW B.Tracey | G L.Dostal]

Heir apparent to Lindholm?

4. New Jersey - LD Luke Hughes
[RW A.Holtz | C/RW D.Mercer | LW N.Foote | LD S.Mukhamadullin | LD K.Bahl]

"Tough" spot if Hughes and Clarke are still on board. Clarke would be a better fit as a righty (we coincidentally drafted his older brother Graeme as well), but the PR pressure may be too much to pass on another Hughes brother.

5. Columbus - RD Brandt Clarke
[RW K.Marchenko | RW Y.Chinakhov | RD A.Peeke | G D.Tarasov | G M.Kivlenieks]

Center would be ideal, but they'd be reaching for one here. With Seth Jones already having one foot out the door, Clarke would possibly help fill that void in the near future.

6. Detroit - LW William Eklund
[RW L.Raymond | RD M.Seider | C J.Veleno | RW J.Berggren | C T.Niederbach]

Maybe ideally would grab a LD/C, but here they just continue to collect talent.

7. San Jose - C Mason McTavish
[C T.Bordeleau | RD R.Merkley | RW O.Wiesblatt | LW J.Leonard | RW J.Blichfeld]

Perhaps some interest in Kent Johnson (Bordeleau's teammate at Michigan). McTavish profiles similarly to a guy the Sharks drafted/traded in Josh Norris.

8. Los Angeles - RW Dylan Guenther
[C Q.Byfield | C A.Turcotte | LD T.Bjornfot | LW A.Kaliyev | LW S.Fagemo]

Goalie might be in the conversation here, but the Kings would be happy to add arguably the best winger in the draft.

9. Vancouver - LW/C Kent Johnson
[RW V.Podkolzin | LD J.Rathbone | G M.DiPietro | LD B.Rafferty | LD J.Jurmo]

Lazy hometown pick.

10. Ottawa - G Jesper Wallstedt
[LD J.Sanderson | C S.Pinto | RD J.Bernard-Docker | LD E.Brannstrom | LW A.Formenton]

There was a rumor that Ottawa's owner was trying to steer the team to draft Yaroslav Askarov at #5 last year. This year they can add their blue chip goalie prospect.

11. Arizona - forfeit

12. Chicago - RW/C Chaz Lucius

[LW/C L.Reichel | C E.Barratt | RD A.Regula | G D.Commesso | LD W.Kalynuk]
Adding to a depleted farm.

13. Calgary - G Sebastian Cossa
[C C.Zary | LW J.Pelletier | RD C.Mackey | C G.Gawdin | LW E.Pettersson]
Flames need a bit of everything. Cossa was impressing up the road in Edmonton and could eventually help out on his ELC when Jacob Markstrom is in the old and overpaid portion of his contract.

14. Philadelphia - LW Zach L'Heureux
[LD C.York | RW T.Foerster | LD Y.Zamula | RW W.Allison | I.Ratcliffe]
Often compared to Brad Marchand, this seems right up Philadelphia's alley.

15. Dallas - C Fedor Svechkov
[LD T.Harley | G J.Oettinger | C M.Bourque | LW J.Robertson | J.Kiviranta]
Starting to get top 10 consideration on some lists, seemingly 2C upside.

16. NY Rangers - C Zach Bolduc
[RD B.Schneider | RW V.Kravtsov | RD N.Lundkvist | LD M.Robertson | LW M.Barron]
Lazy "he played with Lafreniere in juniors" pick.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I'm not sure Colorado can even afford to give up Byram. If they don't have his ELC cap hit, they probably can't sign Landeskog and offer Makar what he's worth. They have a lot of money tied up in that offense, and it's definitely working for them.

I'm guessing they go Makar-Toews, Graves-Girard, Byram-Johnson, unless they want to pay someone to take EJ off their hands. He does have a NMC, so that might prove difficult.

If things get tight and they absolutely move a D-man, I see Graves as the likeliest, who might be worth taking a look at.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
"Goalie might be in the conversation here, but the Kings would be happy to add arguably the best winger in the draft."

Interesting. Please score and score OFTEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad