2021 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Can see someone taking him in 2nd round. He's having an interesting season for sure. I wouldn't take him til 3rd round though.

Another big boy I like is Cole Huckins (C), Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL.
He's the type of prospect who always goes higher than he probably should, based on toolbox alone. We do have two second rounders again this year but I don't know, we haven't had a lot of luck picking those behemoth types before. I'd be a bit wary.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's the type of prospect who always goes higher than he probably should, based on toolbox alone. We do have two second rounders again this year but I don't know, we haven't had a lot of luck picking those behemoth types before. I'd be a bit wary.

I almost exclusively scratch them off my draft list and I haven't really missed on many.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't make it a hard rule per se ,but let's just say the 6ft4+ guy better come in with his skating pretty much in the bag if I'm picking him. That's the absolute minimum.

He's actually a strong skater not very skilled though. He's already used on the pk in Liiga at 17 because of his reach & length. He's physical too.

You draft him because you think he can become a 4th line, physical center, who can pk. Basically, an NHL version of McCarron.

If he was skilled, he'd be ranked a lot higher.

He'll get taken early because someone doesn't want to lose out on the potential next Lowry or Boyle type.

I would start to consider him with Chicago's pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes late 2nd, or frankly, 5th round. Hard to know.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't make it a hard rule per se ,but let's just say the 6ft4+ guy better come in with his skating pretty much in the bag if I'm picking him. That's the absolute minimum.

Skating and can handle the puck.. most big gangly guys treat the puck like a grenade and it never gets much better.

Reactions: Sagikev

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The projected top 5 is so bad.. my god

it seems like a great year to have picks in the 20's, would love to see MB trade up with our 2 2nd's and whatever to get another pick in the 20's. Or just trade up with our 1st to get Sillinger. If not if they can get Lucis, then trade the 2nds and grab Coronato or Samoskevich although with Samoskevich missing so much time maybe he falls to the 2nd round.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
it seems like a great year to have picks in the 20's, would love to see MB trade up with our 2 2nd's and whatever to get another pick in the 20's. Or just trade up with our 1st to get Sillinger. If not if they can get Lucis, then trade the 2nds and grab Coronato or Samoskevich although with Samoskevich missing so much time maybe he falls to the 2nd round.

Couple Swedish players are intriguing as well.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I like Svechkov. Not sure about his offensive upside. He's like a Russian Brian Skrudland -- all work ethic, tenacity, a good playmaker & intelligent defensively. Sort of Danault/Skrudland mix.

My favorite is Swede Simon Robertsson, but he seems to be moving into top 16, which sucks.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I like Svechkov. Not sure about his offensive upside. He's like a Russian Brian Skrudland -- all work ethic, tenacity, a good playmaker & intelligent defensively. Sort of Danault/Skrudland mix.

My favorite is Swede Simon Robertsson, but he seems to be moving into top 16, which sucks.
Svechkov was the top Russian scorer at the U17, right behind Lucius. Ahead of Chibrikov, among others. Also, he looks bigger than his listed size. Russian size listings tend to be low. I think they measure at 16 and don't change the numbers until they come to NA. I’d bet he's around 6-2, 190+, atm.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Just been saying this for 3 years lol

I look at the games for this year's prospect and each time I see something good I have to put it back in context because the group is so weak. How do I know that? Every time you mixed them up with the 2022s and 2023s, they get humiliated.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Just been saying this for 3 years lol

I look at the games for this year's prospect and each time I see something good I have to put it back in context because the group is so weak. How do I know that? Every time you mixed them up with the 2022s and 2023s, they get humiliated.
Meh, Samuel Helenius, who's projected as a second or third rounder this year is scoring at the same pace as Brad Lambert, on the same teams. Lambert is one of the phenoms for 2022, supposedly. Helenius is considerably bigger as well. Last year at this time Aatu Raty was supposed to be the next big thing, now he might fall out of the first round.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Meh, Samuel Helenius, who's projected as a second or third rounder this year is scoring at the same pace as Brad Lambert, on the same teams. Lambert is one of the phenoms for 2022, supposedly. Helenius is considerably bigger as well. Last year at this time Aatu Raty was supposed to be the next big thing, now he might fall out of the first round.

Lambert is 13.5 months younger and is scoring at the same pace as an oversized for his league/age group player.

I don't think this argument went the way you envisioned.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Lambert is 13.5 months younger and is scoring at the same pace as an oversized for his league/age group player.

I don't think this argument went the way you envisioned.
Big players take longer to develop, so I'd say they're at about the same stage of their upside. Point being that Lambert is touted as an exceptional talent for his age group, Helenius is considered a mid round pick in upcoming draft.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Big players take longer to develop, so I'd say they're at about the same stage of their upside. Point being that Lambert is touted as an exceptional talent for his age group, Helenius is considered a mid round pick in upcoming draft.

Big players also can dominate early and then fall on their face in the NHL. McCarron, as an example. Not sure what argument you are making. Ask any scout where Helenius would be drafted in a combined 2021-2022 draft, and most 2021s would lose 1 round (often 2 or 3) in terms of ranking. Only 2 2021s would be in the top 10 of such draft.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Hard to get a fix on this group of prospects due to Covid shutdowns and injuries to some top talent. Since getting back on the ice Chaz Lucius is over a goal per game with the U18. Cole Caufield production, and Lucius doesn't have near the talent around him. Dylan Guenther averaging a goal and assist per game in the WHL. Last 17 year old to do that was probably Joe Sakic. Brandt Clarke put up better 16 year old numbers in the OHL than Jamie Drysdale and he's bigger. Ditto for Luke Hughes vs. Jake Sanderson with the U18 team. Owen Power has been a bigger version of Zach Werenski at Michigan, Cole Sillinger a bigger version of Kyle Connor in the USHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad