2021 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You might change your mind when Podkolzin arrives....and after watching the opener of that Vegas-Minny series, I'm sure the Wild are thrilled they waited on Karpizov....what a talent and the clear Calder winner!

Too risky. They have a league in their own backyard now. And let’s pump the breaks on Podz. We do this with every single prospect ever and his numbers were just ... meh.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Too risky. They have a league in their own backyard now. And let’s pump the breaks on Podz. We do this with every single prospect ever and his numbers were just ... meh.

Its not the points that make him intriguting it's his play style and relentless pursuit of the puck. He is a modern day Power forward

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
When does the drop roughly take place? I am hearing some people after 5, Other people saying after like 10.
I guess hard to find a Consensus this year

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If this is one of the years where winning the lottery prevents you from winning the next two lotteries....I'd rather not win the lottery this year. Don't think we can afford to not even be able to win a lottery to get Wright in 22 or Bedard/Michkov.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Im out of the loop.

Can someone hook me up with a decent top 20 (or something similar) video for this years draft?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If this is one of the years where winning the lottery prevents you from winning the next two lotteries....I'd rather not win the lottery this year. Don't think we can afford to not even be able to win a lottery to get Wright in 22 or Bedard/Michkov.

Sadly I think it's most likely that the Canucks are going to be bubble team in the next couple of years. Expect more picks in the 10-16 range.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sadly I think it's most likely that the Canucks are going to be bubble team in the next couple of years. Expect more picks in the 10-16 range.

That lottery restriction starts next year, just checked.

This would be a good year to win it cause it doesn't stop VAN from winning 2022 lottery.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
When does the drop roughly take place? I am hearing some people after 5, Other people saying after like 10.
I guess hard to find a Consensus this year
Clarke
Beniers
Power
Hughes
Eklund
Edvinsson
Guenther
After the top 7 for me. Maybe you could include a couple of Lysell, Sillinger, Lucius, Svechkov, Mctavish, and Wallstedt but they’re a clear step below imo.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Clarke
Beniers
Power
Hughes
Eklund
Edvinsson
Guenther
After the top 7 for me. Maybe you could include a couple of Lysell, Sillinger, Lucius, Svechkov, Mctavish, and Wallstedt but they’re a clear step below imo.

If the Canucks had the 9th pick would it be worth it to trade up? I wonder what the asking price would be to go from 9 to 6.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
If the Canucks had the 9th pick would it be worth it to trade up? I wonder what the asking price would be to go from 9 to 6.
Probably not. Even the top guys in this draft aren’t sure bets and it usually costs so much to move up in the top 10.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Lots of these list don’t have Kent Johnson... interesting

Like the Canucks, most fans miss out on kids in our own backyard. He destroyed the BCHL two years ago as an underager and outscored Beniers on Michigan. But no one on this board watches the BCHL or WHL just Canucks hockey! :laugh::sarcasm:

He's going to offensively be better than Beniers but doesn't have the two way acumen.

Reactions: Bgav

Nov 1, 2011
Like the Canucks, most fans miss out on kids in our own backyard. He destroyed the BCHL two years ago as an underager and outscored Beniers on Michigan. But no one on this board watches the BCHL or WHL just Canucks hockey! :laugh::sarcasm:

He's going to offensively be better than Beniers but doesn't have the two way acumen.

I think Johnson is generally viewed as a good prospect. He has great hands and offensive instincts but is slight and not blazingly fast. Kind of gives off Middlestadt vibes...but could turn out to be like Pettersson.

Generally rated as the worst of the top tier, #8ish.

That will be near where we pick if we can avoid picking up more points.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Lots of these list don’t have Kent Johnson... interesting

I'm not sure points really tell the story with Johnson. He does have a lot of secondary assists, while Beniers has 1.

Some of the more granular scouts I follow aren't really high on Johnson. Mitch Brown from EP did microstats tracking for Michigan and found that Johnson was basically average in terms of zone exits and entries, but above average in offensive zone chance creation. He was below average in defensive plays and retrievals. He emphasized that Johnson's pace and decision-making in transition weren't great, and that at higher levels it won't cut it. But he can flash great moments of skill and create chances.

Beniers had by far the most dominant microstat profile for Michigan. In fact, of all the players he tracked in college, Beniers rated as the best transition player. He still ranked higher than Johnson in terms of chance creation, and his two-way reputation is also very well-deserved at the college level (a lot of defensive plays, few turnovers).

Right now, Johnson looks like much more of a passenger. I think he's a good prospect, but more of a beyond pick 10-12 selection. IMO it's not really close between Beniers and Johnson.

Reactions: sting101

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t pay much attention to the draft but the smart people I follow on twitter say all these top guys have flaws and are similar tiered so the lottery doesn’t matter much.

True or no?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don’t pay much attention to the draft but the smart people I follow on twitter say all these top guys have flaws and are similar tiered so the lottery doesn’t matter much.

True or no?
It's what I heard also, Basically No Consensus across the board, Except for maybe Power.
it's all over the place, from 2-10

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->