Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
This really seems like the type of draft to move back (if the pick isn't included in a deal elsewhere). What's everyone's take on Bryce Montgomery? 6'5 220 RHD.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I can't see that happening. Would definitely be great value there.
2nd round? I think someone might nab him in the late 1st especially in a draft like this, but the list of 5'8 skaters in the first round is pretty much Caufield and Yamamoto off the top of my head...and I don't think he's as good as either of those two. McKenzie had him 44th in his rankings before the u18s. That tournament probably boosted him a bit, but even in my weighted rankings (which are very much pro-Stankoven), he's still ~30th. CSS has him 31st just among NA skaters. I'd say there's a pretty decent chance he makes it to pick 33 (actually 32).

If you think he's the 13th best, or better, player in this class, I get the argument to just take your guy, but you are almost assuredly leaving a lot of value on the board. Stankoven is an excellent offensive player who is a high volume shooter with a long track record of scoring goals, but I don't think he's enough of a transition whiz to get me on board with him quite that high. He's also one of those guys with lopsided stat-lines that spook me out - 3x as many goals as primary assists over his WHL career.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
2nd round? I think someone might nab him in the late 1st especially in a draft like this, but the list of 5'8 skaters in the first round is pretty much Caufield and Yamamoto off the top of my head...and I don't think he's as good as either of those two. McKenzie had him 44th in his rankings before the u18s. That tournament probably boosted him a bit, but even in my weighted rankings (which are very much pro-Stankoven), he's still ~30th. CSS has him 31st just among NA skaters. I'd say there's a pretty decent chance he makes it to the pick 33 (actually 32).

If you think he's the 13th best, or better, player in this class, I get the argument to just take your guy, but you are almost assuredly leaving a lot of value on the board. Stankoven is an excellent offensive player who is a high volume shooter with a long track record of scoring goals, but I don't think he's enough of a transition whiz to get me on board with him quite that high. He's also one of those guys with lopsided stat-lines that spook me out - 3x as many goals as primary assists over his WHL career.

True. I just noticed how late Bob Mack has him, too. So that reflects the scouting community as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Samoskevich feels like an incredibly similar player to Martino. Strengths, weaknesses, build, old for the class. Maybe Martino skates a tad quicker? Better playmaker? If he has a touch more skill, it's not drastic. Visually, they are strikingly similar. Samoskevich played more shifts than not with Coronato (center) in the game I saw, though seemingly PP2, whereas Martino is the top player on his team. 9 less minutes though in a regulation game.

Watched a game of Poltapov too. Honestly, slick as his hands may be, he has some pro qualities they don't: namely he isn't shy about playing through contact and along the wall. Slick edges, even if he's not as good straight line. He didn't dipsy doodle as much as you'd think and seemed quite intelligent positionally. Do wish he had a little more urgency. If there's 1 intangible I've learned to not underestimate, it's urgency. 1 game scouting is tough. MHL games -- tough to scout to begin with -- are actually searchable on YouTube, if I put in a slight amount of effort.

I've noticed you can teach a lot of kids to skate better, but if a kid doesn't have a high motor and high IQ, that's hard to add.

The most frustrating and overdrafted players are the highly skilled kids with low motors and average IQs, because they'll flash talent, especially at lower levels, but consistently go MIA in the NHL, scoring just enough to stick around and tease HCs with their potential.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The most frustrating and overdrafted players are the highly skilled kids with low motors and average IQs, because they'll flash talent, especially at lower levels, but consistently go MIA in the NHL, scoring just enough to stick around and tease HCs with their potential.
I certainly agree with that. With kids that get by on God given-physical talent alone (& often early physical development), the game may come easy at lower levels, but without the drive & IQ they can’t get away with it & succeed in the NHL. Most get passed in their development by players who have the latter.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
FFFA0930-504C-48FC-8451-CDB9836F124F.jpeg

431088DA-C0C0-4988-AA94-DBF1E4E33ECA.jpeg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It never ceases to amaze me how bad comparisons usually are. Big defender (check); offensively skilled (check); currently watching the Golden Knights (check). It's unfair that a player that big has such soft hands and passing touch.......and lead feet and stone hips. I'm fascinated to see if, in the NHL, he gets targeted relentlessly on zone entries and forecheck pressuring and at the point. Apparently, consensus doesn't see that or want to see it. If you gave Edvisson that passing, he's a unicorn. But that's life. Then again, Clarke might be the most all-around talented defender, but he skates knock kneed, and I have no clue what to do with that. 2021 class, baby!

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They are similar in that they are better offensively than defensively but they get the defensively reliable reputation since they are big.

You're saying a player with below-average puck skill is better offensively than defensively?

krg3kKr.png

In a sentence, I think Power projects as a star all-situations NHL defenseman who won’t land on highlight reels but will play tough minutes and drive play.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
You're saying a player with below-average puck skill is better offensively than defensively?

krg3kKr.png

In a sentence, I think Power projects as a star all-situations NHL defenseman who won’t land on highlight reels but will play tough minutes and drive play.

Those “in a sentence” non sequiturs sure were something eh?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ve watched 4 Poltapov games now because they’re available, and I have to say: he’s been impressive in each one. Like if he’s available in the 2nd round, I’d jump at that value. Frankly, in this weak crop, he looks like a 1st round talent above some key names. He's unpredictable when he’ll pass or shoot or dangle; loves to cut on his edges to the middle. I like his off puck offensive game too.

He’s not huge, but he’s t h i c c, as the kids say, and he’s not only able to play through contact and checking — heck, he embraces it. It's my favorite part of his game projecting him as a pro. He’s got very slick hands, but he’s slippery and tenacious along the wall and in battles. Excellent edges, decent burst, needs power skating work but nothing out of the ordinary.

Weird thing: Poltapov led his MHL team in points…..in most of the games I watched, he received almost zero PP time. He probably received middle 6 5v5 usage too. He even had a few PK shifts, and while he gives an honest effort, he’s absolutely offensive leaning. I have no explanation. Whole 2 minutes, and he regularly didn’t see a PP shift in a junior game. In the last game (below), he got 1 shift with 7 minutes left; quarterbacked the half-wall, cut in and ripped one off the post. I can only see he had 6 PP goals on the season, but if this was even a semi-consistent thing, his point totals might be artificially suppressed. I repeat: he led his team in scoring.

#13 — easy to shift skim (not many shifts ~first half); can pull other links, if anyone wants

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Weird thing: Poltapov led his MHL team in points…..in most of the games I watched, he received almost zero PP time. He probably received middle 6 5v5 usage too. He even had a few PK shifts, and while he gives an honest effort, he’s absolutely offensive leaning. I have no explanation. Whole 2 minutes, and he regularly didn’t see a PP shift in a junior game. In the last game (below), he got 1 shift with 7 minutes left; quarterbacked the half-wall, cut in and ripped one off the post. I can only see he had 6 PP goals on the season, but if this was even a semi-consistent thing, his point totals might be artificially suppressed. I repeat: he led his team in scoring.
Did you think I would bring him up if he didn't pass the stats test? ;) #statguy

upload_2021-6-21_15-25-44.png

He had 41 Primary points to just 3 secondary assists at ES and 7 to 1 on the PP. I'm guessing that is partially due to Russia being stingy with secondary assists (you have to be the third touch before a goal) but that will also suppress scoring totals. Had just 15% of his points on the PP.

This is part of why Russian prospects scare me. The development over there as far as ice time allocation is wonky and political a lot of times.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Did you think I would bring him up if he didn't pass the stats test? ;) #statguy

View attachment 448468

He had 41 Primary points to just 3 secondary assists at ES and 7 to 1 on the PP. I'm guessing that is partially due to Russia being stingy with secondary assists (you have to be the third touch before a goal) but that will also suppress scoring totals. Had just 15% of his points on the PP.

This is part of why Russian prospects scare me. The development over there as far as ice time allocation is wonky and political a lot of times.

They need to come over and play juniors in North America. This is a free country, and so is the other one.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tyler Boucher is going to be a draft day commodity - EP Rinkside

Good read on Brian Boucher's son Tyler

Tyler Boucher at eliteprospects.com

Ranked #25 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #75 by DOBBERPROSPECTS Ranked #57 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #40 by TSN/McKenzie

Boucher is big, physical, & a good skater; seems to have fairly good hands; & looks like an improving player. I can see why teams would be intrigued.

But in my limited viewings, he was quite individualistic when he had the puck. He didn’t appear to see the ice well & overhandled the puck trying to make low-percentage plays. He also didn’t exert much effort in the defensive zone.

He’s one of several players I’m interested in with the Flyers 2nd round pick, but I think he’ll be gone at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad