Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The funny part is, he is literally the type of guy every Flyer fan whines about us not having.....every year. He's talented, will hit anything, drives the net, will actually take the puck in / not AV dumps, extremely strong forechecker/backchecker, shoots on 2 on 1's. I see him as a 2nd liner and would be a more than welcome addition to this future mix (plus Destroyer IMO is our biggest wild card prospect). I've watched him a dozen times "Destroyer" - and I really can't figure out if this guy is actually awesome, or is a fluke. If he does turn out half decent, them playing together might actually be really interesting.
He's the type of player I certainly whine about the Flyers not having.

But there are also a lot of fans on this board who don't like north/south style players. They almost always want to go with offensive flash and sparkling skating. They dream of finding the next Datsyuk with every draft pick. Good luck with that. I'm not against skill -- I raved about Matthew Barzal pre-draft harder than anyone on this board. But I don't see any future offensive virtuosos likely to be available at 13 in this draft, that's for sure. Now, guys like MacTavish and Sillinger, for example, I think they'll score in the NHL and I also would be happy with them at 13; however, again, for a certain group of fans they don't play a dynamic, fancy enough stickhandling/skating game.

Reactions: SanBlom

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Fabian-Lysell-2452623402-1606067895813.jpg

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
For any non-contrarian who hasn't seen him, here's 3 games. Tell me if you see a Voracek, Marchand caliber player.

You don't see Brad Marchand style at all? I definitely did all year. Are you trying to compare him to current day Marchand levels based on his current junior ability? Marchand was a 3rd rounder remember, didn't put up PPG average + until year 3 in the Q / even after didn't light it up (29 in 26 games with Halifax.....playing on a line with Voracek). Other than his knob head father, I doubt anyone would have pegged Marchand for what Marchand is today. Not gonna argue though because it's pointless for more than one reason. My point is, there are a few guys at #13 I wouldn't be angry at, hes one of them.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
LOL. Guess I rubbed a nerve. The only way I “compared” Sillinger & McTavish is that I said I think they’ll both score in the NHL, neither play a “dynamic” or “virtuoso” stickhandling/skating game, and they are among several players I’d be happy to end up with at 13.

(I guess I could add that both have lethal shots.)

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
LOL. Guess I rubbed a nerve. The only way I “compared” Sillinger & McTavish is that I said I think they’ll both score in the NHL, neither play a “dynamic” or “virtuoso” stickhandling/skating game, and they are among several players I’d be happy to end up with at 13.

(I guess I could add that both have lethal shots.)
I want dyamic/virtuoso. I'm tired of vanilla. Both their fathers were as vanilla as you get

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sillinger's entire game is based on dynamic stick handling in the offensive end. It's a ridiculous remark to imply he's a worker and doesn't have "flash." He's pretty much the definition of flashy puck work and nothing else in the middle of the draft. That's the irony -- he's all hands. He's a weak skater. He's not terribly physical. He can float a little defensively. It screams: "Hey, but his father!" Sometimes people don't need to strut in to every discussion to sound smart.

You don't see Brad Marchand style at all? I definitely did all year. Are you trying to compare him to current day Marchand levels based on his current junior ability? Marchand was a 3rd rounder remember, didn't put up PPG average + until year 3 in the Q / even after didn't light it up (29 in 26 games with Halifax.....playing on a line with Voracek). Other than his knob head father, I doubt anyone would have pegged Marchand for what Marchand is today. Not gonna argue though because it's pointless for more than one reason. My point is, there are a few guys at #13 I wouldn't be angry at, hes one of them.

I'm sorry, my guy, I don't. Besides Marchand being one of the elite players in the game -- and I know it took time to emerge -- he is pure dynamism with his hands and feet. L'Heureux has "fine" talent. A lot of his game to me is just on/off puck intelligence; none of his tools really pop. I dislike so many players this draft. I actually like L'Heureux! More than some guys bandied about in this range. I stress that. I just think he'd make more sense as a nice, floor, Swiss Army knife pick at #23 than #13. The Flyers aren't exactly overflowing with young, high potential skill. I trust you've seen him 20x over than me, but he seems an easy evaluation. Not all guys I find so easy to judge.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I want dyamic/virtuoso. I'm tired of vanilla. Both their fathers were as vanilla as you get
And that’s your prerogative. Many posters here agree with you & prefer to swing for players with the slickest offensive styles & skating.

I don’t think there are any future Barzals likely to be available at 13 in this draft, though. Certainly not any you can predict with any level of certainty.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If you question someone’s ability to create offense at the NHL level, then I don’t think you are defining him as offensively dynamic. Perhaps we have different definitions of dynamic.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I drafted Lundell at 10th overall in last year's mock. Was very high on him.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
:laugh:

Would you rather draft a guy with IQ and not many tools or the guy with tons of tools and meh IQ?

I'm a hockey sense first guy -- you're rarely seeing me rave about someone if I don't like their mental game. But it doesn't have to be a dichotomy. Look at Farabee, in case his name gets brought up -- totally average athleticism, not a guy who beats you over the head with FLASH. But he was not a vanilla skilled prospect. He had/has outstanding puck skills and deception and ability to create in tight spaces. He also looked the part of a natural scorer. Maybe the confusion is in what I label "tools." I imagine most people go right to size+skating.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't know how tough he is, but Ayrton Martino looks like a slam dunk first rounder in this draft to me. VIRTUOSO.

On the older side of the class but looks to be a bit of a late bloomer (late round OHL pick, Clarkson commit). Top scorer in the OJHL as a young 17 year old (one of the most productive u18 seasons in years in that league), carried his team to OT in the GMG at the WJAC last year, missed 15 games this year and still led his club in scoring. One of the best draft year seasons ever in the USHL - assist per game, nearly 40% ES involvement and ~46% overall. That's big time in that league and it was his first year.

Super smart, skilled, and moves well. Puck just follows him around out there. Clarkson hasn't produced a star since Randy Jones, but I think I'd bet on this kid.

Buium: weirdly left-handed RD, accommodating his much smaller partner. Quite good defensively up and down the ice. Surprising playmaking when activated. Flat skating though, no loud tool
Not usually my type, but I kinda like this kid. The skating is awkward, but he gets around the ice well and has a lot of range. Probably going to go higher than I'd take him though (The BIG defensemen narrative is only going to get louder as the season undwinds). For a guy who was playing 2nd (3rd?4th?) fiddle to Morrow at SSM, he put up quite the offensive season (just outside of the top 10 league-wide) after joining the team mid-season. Had a lot on the PP and I doubt he's a PP guy at the next level, but his ES production is pretty good also. The numbers back up his defensive impact also so that is nice to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad