Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I was actually curious to see how teams will handle the top of the draft this year. Right now Beniers & Hughes are seemingly getting a lot of recent buzz for #1. Probably not the best year to have a pandemic when you really don’t have that guy(s) at the top that are clear runaways even before the year starts.

Hughes is certainly interesting. A defensemen who’s only played at the US Program so far & is one of the youngest players in this draft class. A bigger frame than his brothers (6’2”) but probably more growth needed there. You go in that 1-2 range that generally puts you in the NHL the following year at this point. Although Byfield is currently in the AHL.

Beniers is obviously more advanced as a late birthday having played the two years with the US Program & now with Michigan (on top of the international experience with USA Hockey). But what ultimately is his upside? Has he done enough to make you want to put him in the NHL next year?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was actually curious to see how teams will handle the top of the draft this year. Right now Beniers & Hughes are seemingly getting a lot of recent buzz for #1. Probably not the best year to have a pandemic when you really don’t have that guy(s) at the top that are clear runaways even before the year starts.

Hughes is certainly interesting. A defensemen who’s only played at the US Program so far & is one of the youngest players in this draft class. A bigger frame than his brothers (6’2”) but probably more growth needed there. You go in that 1-2 range that generally puts you in the NHL the following year at this point. Although Byfield is currently in the AHL.

Owen Power falling off?

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Power has actually played better if anything. I still don't see 1-1 upside though. He's not very good defensively.

Beniers is good, but he doesn't excite me at the top either. He's kinda in the Toews mold. I see a good transition forward with puck protection skills. I don't see high end skill though.

Kent Johnson might be the best of that trio but he's a winger and is a good, not great skater.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

First game back from missing most of the season so far with a knee injury. Top forward prospect for the draft with US team. Two goals so far.

Looks like Isaac Howard & Rutger McGroarty got the promotion from the U17 team too.

Every time I see his name I think
Charles_Finster.png

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Anyone get in any viewings of Scott Morrow this season? I’ve heard great things. The quality of competition he’s facing is bad (USHS) but I hear the tools he possesses are tremendous.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
The Athletic - Wheeler: Top 64 prospects for the 2021 NHL Draft at midseason

Top 15:
1. Owen Power — LHD, University of Michigan, 6-foot-5
2. Kent Johnson — C, University of Michigan, 6-foot-1
3. Brandt Clarke — RHD, Barrie Colts/HC Nove Zamky, 6-foot-1
4. Luke Hughes — LHD, U.S. NTDP, 6-foot-2
5. Matthew Beniers — C, University of Michigan, 6-foot-1
6. Simon Edvinsson — LHD, Frölunda HC/Vasteras IK, 6-foot-4
7. William Eklund — C/LW, Djurgårdens IF, 5-foot-10
8. Dylan Guenther — LW/RW, Edmonton Oil Kings/Sherwood Park Crusaders, 6-foot-1
9. Jesper Wallstedt — G, Luleå HF, 6-foot-3
10. Cole Sillinger — LW, Medicine Hat Tigers/Sioux Falls Stampede, 6-foot
11. Carson Lambos — LHD, Winnipeg Ice/JYP, 6-foot-1
12. Fabian Lysell — LW/RW, Frölunda HC/Luleå HF, 5-foot-10
13. Chaz Lucius — C/W, U.S. NTDP, 6-foot
14. Aatu Räty — C, Kärpät, 6-foot-1
15. Sasha Pastujov — LW, U.S. NTDP, 6-foot

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
There potential for more first round talent outside of the first this year? Assuming the normal number of risers might get less opportunity/exposure

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There potential for more first round talent outside of the first this year? Assuming the normal number of risers might get less opportunity/exposure
Most likely. The OHL might not have a season and that is the most prosperous Junior League in the world. There are probably going to be a lot of undrafted players that turn into NHL contributors.

Reactions: wankstifier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad