Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I have been intrigued by Corson Cuelemans at the 13 spot for awhile. I missed seeing him at the U18's where I think Flyguy was unimpressed by something about him, but I have liked what I seen in video. The fact that he is a big (6'2) right handed defenseman who skates well makes him a commodity the Flyers need in my eyes. He was dominant in the videos I watched with his speed, strength and shot, all of which look high end. Of course you have to factor in that the players he was playing against were AJHLers and not at the CHL level, probably amplifies his plus skills and attributes. He made good passes, handled the puck well, went end to end quite a bit. I saw him caught up ice at the end of a rush and blow back to break up a two one one like he was Mark Howe. Very impressive. The downside, is he is inconsistent with his hustle. There are plays like the one mentioned where he is all out, and others where he doesn't put the effort in. That may be a non starter for the Flyers scouts.

He will attend Wisconsin next year, and probably needs at least two years before he will be ready. Wisconsin is a strong program, so that should really aid his development.

Given that time frame, and the pressure GMCF may feel to win now, he may feel that drafting a defenseman may take too long to develop and that a forward is a safer pick, which is where I think the Flyers will go. If they want a defenseman and Lambos is there, he is a safer pick, and will probably be ready faster than Cuelemans, but there is a lot to like about Cuelemans in my eyes, and good RHDs who can skate and have size are hard to come by.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have been intrigued by Corson Cuelemans at the 13 spot for awhile. I missed seeing him at the U18's where I think Flyguy was unimpressed by something about him, but I have liked what I seen in video. The fact that he is a big (6'2) right handed defenseman who skates well makes him a commodity the Flyers need in my eyes. He was dominant in the videos I watched with his speed, strengths and shot, all of which look high end. Of course you have to factor in that the players he was playing against were AJHLers and not at the CHL level, probably amplifies his plus skills and attributes. He made good passes, handled the puck well, went end to end quite a bit. I saw him caught up ice at the end of a rush and blow back to break up a two one one like he was Mark Howe. Very impressive. The downside, is he is inconsistent with his hustle. There are plays like the one mentioned where he is all out, and others where he doesn't put the effort in. That may be a non starter for the Flyers scouts.

He will attend Wisconsin next year, and probably needs at least two years before he will be ready. Wisconsin is a strong program, so that should really aid his development.

Given that time frame, and the pressure GMCF may feel to win now, he may feel that drafting a defenseman may take too long to develop and that a forward is a safer pick, which is where I think the Flyers will go. If they want a defenseman and Lambos is there, he is a safer pick, and will probably be ready faster than Cuelemans, but there is a lot to like about Cuelemans in my eyes, and good RHDs who can skate and have size are hard to come by.
"The downside, is he is inconsistent with his hustle. There are plays like the one mentioned where he is all out, and others where he doesn't put the effort in. That may be a non starter for the Flyers scouts."

Sounds like he would fit right in.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
The Athletic's post lottery mock is up today with Charlie O'Connor (who probably got advice from @Appleyard) chose Fabian Lysell with the Flyers pick. FWIW, Sillinger went right before them and Cuelemans went right after.
Buffalo - Power
Seattle - Beniers
Anaheim - Guenther
NJD - Luke Hughes
All the top guys except Wallstedt went ahead of Lysell.
Pronman's last rating had Lysell at 13 too.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I have been intrigued by Corson Cuelemans at the 13 spot for awhile. I missed seeing him at the U18's where I think Flyguy was unimpressed by something about him, but I have liked what I seen in video. The fact that he is a big (6'2) right handed defenseman who skates well makes him a commodity the Flyers need in my eyes. He was dominant in the videos I watched with his speed, strengths and shot, all of which look high end. Of course you have to factor in that the players he was playing against were AJHLers and not at the CHL level, probably amplifies his plus skills and attributes. He made good passes, handled the puck well, went end to end quite a bit. I saw him caught up ice at the end of a rush and blow back to break up a two one one like he was Mark Howe. Very impressive. The downside, is he is inconsistent with his hustle. There are plays like the one mentioned where he is all out, and others where he doesn't put the effort in. That may be a non starter for the Flyers scouts.

Ceulemans is interesting, but very difficult to get a good read on. I get the feeling he may be one of those defensemen who are great raw athletes but who don’t have a natural feel for the game. And I’m huge on players, especially defensemen, having an innate feel for the game. It’s a reason, for example, I hated Bode Wilde.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I agree with most of this, but Lucius is a better skater than Sillinger, and Lucius is better in his own end than you give him credit for. He may be more wing than center though. I think L’ Hereux goes later than 13, but is probably close there.
Neither Lucius nor Sillinger are great skaters, which indeed is why they might be there at 13; I just like Sillinger a little more going forward. He’s thicker & stronger than Lucius & his shot is even better, & I also think Sillinger creates better than Lucius.

The Flyers’ scouts will be very familiar with L’Hereux as he played with Desnoyers. He’d be a neat player to have on the team. Kind of a unique style of play. Turns on a dime, great at harassing the opposition. Pretty good skill, though I don’t think his game has a lot of touch to it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I have been intrigued by Corson Cuelemans at the 13 spot for awhile. I missed seeing him at the U18's where I think Flyguy was unimpressed by something about him, but I have liked what I seen in video. The fact that he is a big (6'2) right handed defenseman who skates well makes him a commodity the Flyers need in my eyes. He was dominant in the videos I watched with his speed, strength and shot, all of which look high end. Of course you have to factor in that the players he was playing against were AJHLers and not at the CHL level, probably amplifies his plus skills and attributes. He made good passes, handled the puck well, went end to end quite a bit. I saw him caught up ice at the end of a rush and blow back to break up a two one one like he was Mark Howe. Very impressive. The downside, is he is inconsistent with his hustle. There are plays like the one mentioned where he is all out, and others where he doesn't put the effort in. That may be a non starter for the Flyers scouts.

Yeah he's going to get a ton of ice at Wisconsin. They had no one on the blueline this year and were forced to go with a 5 forward PP unit because of it. But I'm out on him at 13. Trade back or second round? It's more palatable. After the consensus top 4 defensemen (and I don't have a final answer on Edvinsson yet) I don't think I'd be on board with any defenseman at 13, so it's forward or bust for me. Part of that is because I love who could be on the board in the 2/3 round, but I just don't see any obvious candidates in the first round after the top 4.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Neither Lucius nor Sillinger are great skaters, which indeed is why they might be there at 13; I just like Sillinger a little more going forward. He’s thicker & stronger than Lucius & his shot is even better, & I also think Sillinger creates better than Lucius.

The Flyers’ scouts will be very familiar with L’Hereux as he played with Desnoyers. He’d be a neat player to have on the team. Kind of a unique style of play. Turns on a dime, great at harassing the opposition. Pretty good skill, though I don’t think his game has a lot of touch to it.
If they draft L'Heureux, I guess I'll need to pick up that Mooseheads tee shirt I was eyeing when I bought the Wheat Kings tee.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The Athletic's post lottery mock is up today with Charlie O'Connor (who probably got advice from @Appleyard) chose Fabian Lysell with the Flyers pick. FWIW, Sillinger went right before them and Cuelemans went right after.
Buffalo - Power
Seattle - Beniers
Anaheim - Guenther
NJD - Luke Hughes
All the top guys except Wallstedt went ahead of Lysell.
Pronman's last rating had Lysell at 13 too.
Lysell is hysterical. That guy is like a little wind-up toy. He is insanely fast and flies around with his hair on fire. The problem is that his mind seems to go a mile-a-minute just like his legs. I don't know if he has much NHL scoring upside, which is a negative for a tiny waterbug at 13. He should be a hell of a penalty killer, though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This reminds me:

Not even at 19.

I mean, in fairness anyone doing mock drafts or talking about who teams will pick are 100% guessing usually outside of the top 5 or so. Random Scout/Commentator A saying the Flyers will or won't take someone is the same thing as asking someone on HFBoards who they think a team will or won't take. There's rankings and then you guess.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
According to the Athletic's mock, the top 10, in no particular order are Power, Beniers, Hughes, Clarke, Guenther, Eklund, Edvinsson, Johnson, MacTavish, and Lucius. The first 9 should go in the top 10, with the possibility of Wallstedt and/or Cossa slipping in there. MacTavish could move up a couple of spots, Lucius should be in the 10-13 range. GMs and Scouts had some differing opinions on the other players, especially Cuelemans (14) who scouts said could go higher, or was too high, same for Othmann (15) and Sillinger (12). Interesting to reas what some scouts and GMs had to say:
NHL Mock Draft 2021: Owen Power to Sabres as we pick for every lottery team (and predict trades)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If Lysell fell to the Flyers, that would be f***ing stellar. Goddamn.

First off, I’m not a prospect guy. Maybe one day I’ll have the time - but appreciate those who can give a glimpse, it’s why partly I enjoy this board.

I just rate skating so highly when it comes to these kids. Above average skating is a must have in my eyes, and unless a prospect is a true exception because of incredible talent - I wouldn’t even consider those with shit skating.

Rational? Maybe not - but is what it is.

When it comes to the Flyers, it feels like I’ve been watching one of the slowest clubs for years now. How much of that is systemic vs player profile can be debated.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
First off, I’m not a prospect guy. Maybe one day I’ll have the time - but appreciate those who can give a glimpse, it’s why partly I enjoy this board.

I just rate skating so highly when it comes to these kids. Above average skating is a must have in my eyes, and unless a prospect is a true exception because of incredible talent - I wouldn’t even consider those with shit skating.

Rational? Maybe not - but is what it is.

When it comes to the Flyers, it feels like I’ve been watching one of the slowest clubs for years now. How much of that is systemic vs player profile can be debated.

From our own Appleyard:
Scouting Report: Fabian Lysell - Smaht Scouting

https://thehockeywriters.com/fabian-lysell-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2021 NHL Draft #10: Fabian Lysell Scouting Report

Motor that doesn't quit, has good vision and shot and is already very good on both ends of the ice. I see him as someone that can be very exciting.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Magua

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm a big Lysell fan but to play devil's advocate he has 1 ES goal in 22 games at the junior level. For a kid that an get everywhere on the ice, that is red flag territory.

I think that's in the SHL at 18, but still a red flag, while you'd expect him to struggle, that's really bad for a scorer.

On the other hand, it fits what Appleyard wrote, that he's got some sloppy habits due to dominating younger competition and will need to climb a learning curve - probably should stay in the SHL for a couple years, then when he breaks out straight to the NHL (maybe a month in the AHL to acclimate to NA hockey).

5'10 176 but broad frame suggests 190-195 lbs in a couple years (most players add 15-25 lbs in the three years after they're drafted, but it depends on their frame, Farabee I think was 168 at the combine). Which sounds like a more physical version of TK.

Too bad he's not a center. But might be too good to pass on if he's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad