Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
If Lysell fell to the Flyers, that would be f***ing stellar. Goddamn.

Nit picking here, but I don't think "fell" is the right term here. I think Lysell's draft projection probably starts at 13 from a draft prediction standpoint. He may be better than some taken ahead of him. there are not many draft prognosticators who will have Lysell going higher than 13 though. Flyguy is right about the production. That will cause hesitancy in picking him above this point.

Intriguing tool package and exciting video to watch. The Flyers sure could use some speed and do like high motor guys. so he might be their pick.

Reactions: Rebels57

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
One person that I hope falls in the draft is Nikita Chibrikov. He’s fast and fluid. Maybe not a great shot or transitional play, but he’s more so the player you put in the slot or in-front of the net to dig up pucks.
I wouldn’t pick him up at 13, but I would love for him to fall to us in the 2nd

Reactions: phil162888

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The trades up for Wisdom and Desnoyers look good so far.
I guess? I don't really want to rehash this discussion again as I'm mostly talking about philosophy and process rather than individuals or results. If Bobby Brink flops, I still think it was a wise trade up. Rubtsov flopped, it was a sound process trading back. Trading up for Ratcliffe was never a wise move. Etc.

They said they had Wisdom as one of their second round targets after the 1st round and if we take their word for it, it's a fine trade up, but to do it again for a similar player? Especially after dealing a handful of picks in the prior season. Fletcher's M.O. seems to be doubling down on similar moves - Niskanen/Braun, Thompson/Grant, trading up for Wisdom/Desnoyers. Just kind of odd to me.

There's also no guarantee Wisdom or Desnoyers wouldn't have been available at their original picks - especially Desnoyers (btw if we are going to poke holes at L'Heureux for his production same applies to Desnoyers). We're talking about 4th and 5th round picks. There is not much separating these players. Guys like Tullio, Berard, Johannesson, Vierling (Foerster's linemate with similar production), Chromiak (Wisdom's linemate with better production) went in the 5th round. I liked McClennon better than both guys and he went in the 6th. :dunno:

Trading up once every so often when there is clear value to be had is fine. When you consistently trade up, you are saying you are better talent evaluators than the rest of the league and history suggests no one is that good at it. If you show me the worst drafting teams in the league, I'm sure there is a strong correlation between number of picks. You're drafting 18 year olds, there's going to be a lot of variance along the way.

Nit picking here, but I don't think "fell" is the right term here. I think Lysell's draft projection probably starts at 13 from a draft prediction standpoint. He may be better than some taken ahead of him. there are not many draft prognosticators who will have Lysell going higher than 13 though. Flyguy is right about the production. That will cause hesitancy in picking him above this point.

Intriguing tool package and exciting video to watch. The Flyers sure could use some speed and do like high motor guys. so he might be their pick.

McKenzie had him 12th before the u18s. I can only imagine his stock went up from there.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, but his name is Chaz.
latest

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is this just a bad 1st round? I can barely find anyone I like outside of the top 2 tiers. So many Goal-scorers lacking dynamism.
Yeah kinda. The ranges are so wide outside of the top couple of tiers. Doing the mock I was thinking to myself if I don't take this guy here, there's a real chance he could fall to the second round. No OHL season really hurts the perception of this draft. You have guys like Othmann, Pinelli, Harrison, Stillman, Voit, etc. who could have established themselves as solid first round picks but without a season you just go :dunno:. McTavish was in that group but has kind of separated himself.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah kinda. The ranges are so wide outside of the top couple of tiers. Doing the mock I was thinking to myself if I don't take this guy here, there's a real chance he could fall to the second round. No OHL season really hurts the perception of this draft. You have guys like Othmann, Pinelli, Harrison, Stillman, Voit, etc. who could have established themselves as solid first round picks but without a season you just go :dunno:. McTavish was in that group but has kind of separated himself.

Right, the lack of information makes it more difficult too. I was watching CHL/USHL Shift-by-Shifts last night and I'm baffled. First it's a finisher who can't create for anyone else and skates on his heels. The next guy is a finisher who can't create for anyone else but his first few steps are horrendous.

I got stuck on L'Heureux in particular. How is he so good at Entries? What he accomplishes on the ice and his skillset don't match up at all to me in both good and bad ways.

Disclaimer: I don't even know the names of EU prospects yet. I could change my mind quickly when I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad