Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You asked about first round, but I'm going through Central Scouting's list and noticing all of these kids that were committed to play Major Junior this year and either didn't because their season got cancelled or the season was so short you can't really evaluate it. I mean you would have to take some of these kids based off of their Junior B seasons as 16 year olds. I don't know how you do it. The draft eligible first year junior player just doesn't really exist this year.

There's a tournament going on in Erie with some of these guys but how much can you take from that?

I'm really curious what some teams will do because there undoubtedly will be good NHL players that slip or don't get drafted at all this year because of the situation. Do you trade back multiple times and just grab lotto tickets or do you stick exclusively to picking players who have a large sample of games this year?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Guys like Frost & Foerster might not even been drafted under these circumstances. Frost was as a fourth rounder while Foerster was a third rounder in their OHL drafts. Neither had international experience with Canada to that point. Their D-1 weren’t bad all things considering but not really sure if it would have been enough.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Right, the lack of information makes it more difficult too. I was watching CHL/USHL Shift-by-Shifts last night and I'm baffled. First it's a finisher who can't create for anyone else and skates on his heels. The next guy is a finisher who can't create for anyone else but his first few steps are horrendous.

I got stuck on L'Heureux in particular. How is he so good at Entries? What he accomplishes on the ice and his skillset don't match up at all to me in both good and bad ways.

Disclaimer: I don't even know the names of EU prospects yet. I could change my mind quickly when I get there.
The reason L'Heureux is getting a good look is because he has the most fantastic center ever in the Q.....Desnoyers....oh....he was already drafted by the Flyers...huh...

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Another article from Wheeler, this one on Mason MacTavish with a fun little anecdote of his interaction with Claude Giroux (they share the same skills coach). He is a hardnosed kid with a great shot, and is working hard on improving his skating quickness and becoming more than a goal scorer.
From Switzerland and back: The unique hockey story of 2021 NHL Draft prospect Mason McTavish

The Giroux incident from the article:
At one skate, McTavish and Giroux got into it.
“It was funny to watch because Claude eats that stuff up and it was pretty neat to see that Mason wouldn’t back off. I don’t care who you are, a guy like that’s pushing on you and a lot of kids are laying down, and Mason’s just wired a little different like that,”

I doubt MacTavish is there at 13 after his showing at the U18, but I'll bet Giroux is pulling for him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The Flyers usually go for a high riser. That is why I go for Othmann.
Good point, better brush up on Othmann. He did look good at U18. Scouting Report: Brennan Othmann - Smaht Scouting

Started watching the tapes on Lysell last night. Very good, fast player, but with Konecny, Brink and maybe O'Brien, not sure how many RHS smurfs we can have in the lineup. We really need either a C or a Dman.

On D, Oskar Olausson looked good for a potential 2nd round pick...Great skater. Scouting Report: Oskar Olausson - Smaht Scouting

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I also go for Othmann.

200w.gif

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
You asked about first round, but I'm going through Central Scouting's list and noticing all of these kids that were committed to play Major Junior this year and either didn't because their season got cancelled or the season was so short you can't really evaluate it. I mean you would have to take some of these kids based off of their Junior B seasons as 16 year olds. I don't know how you do it. The draft eligible first year junior player just doesn't really exist this year.

There's a tournament going on in Erie with some of these guys but how much can you take from that?

I'm really curious what some teams will do because there undoubtedly will be good NHL players that slip or don't get drafted at all this year because of the situation. Do you trade back multiple times and just grab lotto tickets or do you stick exclusively to picking players who have a large sample of games this year?
You have to hope that your scouts watched all the players last year in DY-1 and have a good network to reach out to for tips on risers. As you say, there may be some gems who slip, like Wisdom last year, or who are ranked too low because of lack of views. This SHOULD benefit wealthy teams like the Flyers that spend a lot on scouting. Poorer teams with small scouting staffs might have to rely on CSB reports more than first hand views or referred prospects. This is the year the scouts really earn their money.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Having now watched game footage of Sillinger, I'm surprisingly meh on him. His statistical profile screams, "Pass on this kid, if you dare." But it's hard for me to get past his skating because it's so......flat. He doesn't have any extra gears, baby steps around the ice back on his skates, is pretty lazy taking strides even -- pressuring or under pressure. Great hands, but that skating could be a hang-up for me when projecting a lotto pick. He kind of reminds me of Bourque from last year in some ways, though I was a bit more down on him than others.

Early watches on some guys -- minus Lysell in that range, who could be gone -- have left me shrugging my shoulders so far. Lucius, Guenther....I really don't know.

What is your opinion on Carson Lambos . He has dropped cause he had to leave Finland come home and get an operation for an health related problem .

I watched a game of Lambos. I actually quite like him. He looks real solid in all 3 zones, high panic threshold with the puck, subtly skilled, above average across the board. Having said that, the Flyers are loaded at LD -- and I don't think Lambos is better than any of the players we have. Looks like a good complimentary pro, but #13 seems too rich for my blood. I watched a Finnish u20 game, and while he stood out with his approach, I just am not sure if he possesses a high-end trait or offensive assertiveness. He's pretty physically mature too.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Having now watched game footage of Sillinger, I'm surprisingly meh on him. His statistical profile screams, "Pass on this kid, if you dare." But it's hard for me to get past his skating because it's so......flat. He doesn't have any extra gears, baby steps around the ice back on his skates, is pretty lazy taking strides even -- pressuring or under pressure. Great hands, but that skating could be a hang-up for me when projecting a lotto pick. He kind of reminds me of Bourque from last year in some ways, though I was a bit more down on him than others.

Early watches on some guys -- minus Lysell in that range, who could be gone -- have left me shrugging my shoulders so far. Lucius, Guenther....I really don't know.

I watched a game of Lambos. I actually quite like him. He looks real solid in all 3 zones, high panic threshold with the puck, subtly skilled, above average across the board. Having said that, the Flyers are loaded at LD -- and I don't think Lambos is better than any of the players we have. Looks like a good complimentary pro, but #13 seems too rich for my blood. I watched a Finnish u20 game, and while he stood out with his approach, I just am not sure if he possesses a high-end trait or offensive assertiveness. He's pretty physically mature too.
Not saying that it would work but the Flyers have had good luck with increasing a players’ skating ability. Foerster is a good example of this. So perhaps Sillinger can be improved.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Not saying that it would work but the Flyers have had good luck with increasing a players’ skating ability. Foerster is a good example of this. So perhaps Sillinger can be improved.

But not all skating flaws are alike and not even similar skating flaws have the same context. Foerster is a mediocre skater still; it’s not like he made leaps and strides since his draft year. He makes up for it elsewhere — mainly by having a big reach at 6’2 and being nimble in tight spaces along the boards. He will never be good in transition, but technique + conditioning will probably go a long way in the next few years. He’s also a long strider. Someone like Brink had terrific edges and burst.

Sillinger, in limited viewing I stress, seems an open space guy and probably plays a little on the small side. You’re not confusing him with being good in the “get” category, to borrow a Scouching-ism. Short stride, back on your heels, glider? Even when he hits his stride, there’s no real gear change. Combine all these and it’s hard to project. He’s skilled though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

This is one of the guys I was referring to that I don't get.

His shot is not just good, but versatile. He gets to the slot at will at this level of competition. What's he going to do when that's not possible? Playmaking is barely functional in the USHL. I've seen some mentions that there's more evidence in previous seasons, but from what I could find of this year, the shoot-first mentality drove his positioning and reactions to an overwhelming degree. I can't tell you that he's a poor passer, but that's because he's not a puck possession guy either. He just rips it. That's a tough road to the NHL.

I'm just never going to be the high team in a draft pool on that archetype. Several other people/teams will think he's their target. I'd be taking him as a value proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->