Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It was on one of those Podcasts. Winged Wheel or 38 Thoughts or one of them. It was something along the lines of "they were hoping Stuzle dropped, but if not, they were always going for Raymond". Will try to dig it up.

This doesn't directly translate to "not high on Perfetti"

They could have been ranked

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Perfetti

Hell, based on the speculation that you have in this post their list could have been

Stutzle
Raymond
Perfetti
Byfield
Lafreniere

The only thing we know based on your post, assuming it is correct, is Stutzle was ahead of Raymond. Who knows what the team actually thought.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
This doesn't directly translate to "not high on Perfetti"

They could have been ranked

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Perfetti

Hell, based on the speculation that you have in this post their list could have been

Stutzle
Raymond
Perfetti
Byfield
Lafreniere

The only thing we know based on your post, assuming it is correct, is Stutzle was ahead of Raymond. Who knows what the team actually thought.
Fair point.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Really think yzerman is deciding between eklund and mctavish because reasons. 90% sure. Only other thing I wouldn’t be surprised by is him taking waltstad. His obviously intentional comment about there being great prospects at every position in the top 10 except maybe goalie, was just too... intentional.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Really think yzerman is deciding between eklund and mctavish because reasons. 90% sure. Only other thing I wouldn’t be surprised by is him taking waltstad. His obviously intentional comment about there being great prospects at every position in the top 10 except maybe goalie, was just too... intentional.

I just don't see them taking a goalie with the 6th. I definitely think that would be a trade back area, and there is enough contention in this draft that I think it could happen unlike with Seider's draft,

I also feel like it will likely be one of those two.
Fair point.

I remember listening to an Yzerman interview he gave a few months before the draft (so still solidly in contention for 1st OA) and I got the direct impression that he liked both Byfield and Stuzzle more than he liked Laf, and that he really seemed to like Stuzzle the most. I honestly would not have been surprised if he had gotten the 1st overall and drafted one of the centers over Laf, which would have shocked people.

I think he is really leaning into Hakan and our Euro scouts of late so I think Eklund and Edvidsson may be high on the list and Mac seems like a movement guy Yzerman could take.

Reactions: David D

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I just don't see them taking a goalie with the 6th. I definitely think that would be a trade back area, and there is enough contention in this draft that I think it could happen unlike with Seider's draft,

I also feel like it will likely be one of those two.

I remember listening to an Yzerman interview he gave a few months before the draft (so still solidly in contention for 1st OA) and I got the direct impression that he liked both Byfield and Stuzzle more than he liked Laf, and that he really seemed to like Stuzzle the most. I honestly would not have been surprised if he had gotten the 1st overall and drafted one of the centers over Laf, which would have shocked people.

I think he is really leaning into Hakan and our Euro scouts of late so I think Eklund and Edvidsson may be high on the list and Mac seems like a movement guy Yzerman could take.

For what it's worth, McTavish played in Europe this year. Here's to hoping we had some central European scouts at the games with Pinelli, McTavish and Clarke. :thumbu:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Anyone get Adam Fox vibes from Clarke?
Clarke is much more complete at the same age, but I think he projects to be a similar player. I do think he has better tools than Fox besides his awkward skating stride but probably won't be as smart. Fox is really really smart.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

If Yzerman gives any indication that he was interested in Wallstedt, someone at 4 or 5 would grab him. I wouldn't read into anything Yzerman says.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Anyone get Adam Fox vibes from Clarke?

Hen Kolland pointed that out somewhere in either this thread or another and it really does make a lot of sense. The way they carry the puck and move in off the boards offensively is very similar. I can see them having the same impact offensively as 55+ point defensemen that tilt the ice towards their opponents' ends.

Clarke is also pretty good defensively as well, so it's not like he cheats to create offense. If whoever gets him gets him a good skating coach to clean up his stride then I could see him being the runaway best player in this draft.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Hen Kolland pointed that out somewhere in either this thread or another and it really does make a lot of sense. The way they carry the puck and move in off the boards offensively is very similar. I can see them having the same impact offensively as 55+ point defensemen that tilt the ice towards their opponents' ends.

Clarke is also pretty good defensively as well, so it's not like he cheats to create offense. If whoever gets him gets him a good skating coach to clean up his stride then I could see him being the runaway best player in this draft.

The idea of drafting him if available has really grown on me, although much of it is based on limited highlights and scouting reports rather than live viewings.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For those of you who are big HP Black Book fans (@Frk It @MBH), I would suggest considering the Elite Prospects Draft Guide.

The grading system is very similar, if not the same (1-9 scale for tools, A-F letter grades to break prospects up by round). The writeups in depth are damn near equivalent in terms of quality. The one element that I think the Black Book has an edge would be the presence of comments from sources in the league. They may be anonymous, but it gives a little added spice. The EP guide appears to be exclusively commentary from the EP staff.

746 pages of some form of analysis/content

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For those of you who are big HP Black Book fans (@Frk It @MBH), I would suggest considering the Elite Prospects Draft Guide.

The grading system is very similar, if not the same (1-9 scale for tools, A-F letter grades to break prospects up by round). The writeups in depth are damn near equivalent in terms of quality. The one element that I think the Black Book has an edge would be the presence of comments from sources in the league. They may be anonymous, but it gives a little added spice. The EP guide appears to be exclusively commentary from the EP staff.

746 pages of some form of analysis/content

I just signed up for EP Premium, where do I get this?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Interesting!

Looks like our mock draft will go with Cossa and Pinelli at 20 and 21. That means we still have Olausson and Raty or Svozil and Chayka, not to mention Rosen available at 22. Albeit, strangely, they haven't made Daniil Chayka an option yet.

I'd be cool with Edvinsson at sixth and Raty at 22nd, though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Ryder Korczak is a guy I'd like with one of our 2nds. Quick and skilled playmaker, a little on the shorter side but that's alright he's a nice playmaker.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Pinelli is very good skater and passer . Why is he so low in the mock drafts

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

He'd probably be closer to the 10-15 group if we saw him play more this year. He's above average at most things. He was really good at the WJC18's this year.

Scouting Report: Francesco Pinelli - Smaht Scouting

As a prospect he sounds very similar to Joe Veleno in his draft year. Similar skillsets and both thought of as guys that could be good utility players at worst.

Joe Veleno Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #12 - Last Word On Hockey

Reactions: lilidk and Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Incomplete data because the OHL didn't play. Seems consistency was an issue in his D-1 year, but there aren't many consistent 16/17 YO players. I like prospects with NHL size, I think he's worth a shot but not with the #6OA.

Good write up....
Scouting Report: Francesco Pinelli - Smaht Scouting

Edit: Ogee beat me to it but I'm gonna leave the link, lol.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6