Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
https://www.podcastalley.ca/tracking-the-draft#:~:text=Tracking the Draft with Craig Button is a,will focus on The Next Wave of players.

On the tracking the draft podcast Craig Button gives his projected top 6 picks before he posts his list next week.

1. Owen Power
2. Brandt Clarke
3. Matty Beniers/William Eklund
4. William Eklund/Matty Beniers
5. Luke Hughes
6. Fyodor Svechkov

He made a Beniers to Bo Horvat/Jonathan Toews comparison that doesn't sound off base. Also compared Eklund to Aho, and then said Fyodor Svechkov is not far off from Beniers as a center.

Highly recommend going back and giving these a listen over the last 5-6 months. Some really good stuff in there.

He really turned me on to Coronato, Svechkov, Tuommala and some others to want to take a bigger look at them.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Highly recommend going back and giving these a listen over the last 5-6 months. Some really good stuff in there.

He really turned me on to Coronato, Svechkov, Tuommala and some others to want to take a bigger look at them.

That's what I've been doing when I have to actually be in the office and have a 45-60 minute commute. Even though it's for a fantasy league the insights on the podcast are really informative when compared to others out there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
On Svechkov, here's some decent clips of the guy.

The video's creator compares him to Landeskog which may be generous, but hey, if we get that in a center then we're doing alright.

There are a few good examples of his puck protection ability in here but my favorite is at 2:35. He takes the puck from his blueline, skates up the boards and draws 2 defenders before setting up the goalscorer.

Scouting Report: Fyodor Svechkov - Smaht Scouting

This kid has all the hallmarks of being a really, really smart playmaker with the puck on top of being great defensively. I'm thinking early scouting reports sold this guy's potential short. Svechkov looks like he has legit top 6 talent.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Right. If we don't take him, San Jose most definitely is. We can say all we want that he's a mid-1st rounder, except that teams draft for need. And there are a number of teams between 7 and 22 that will be drafting a goaltender because of the lack of quality from the F/D positions, this year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

That's what I'm thinking as well. The Shark's got some problems but their biggest roster hole is in net. Martin Jones has been absolute trash the last 3 years and I would think getting his replacement in line is really important in their rebuild.

Although that's a rebuild that doesn't look like it can really start until 2025...
Holy cap hell. I just looked at their capfriendly page and they are locked into Couture, Kane, Vlasic, Karlsson, Burns and Jones for waaaay too long.

Reactions: golffuul

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I still don’t want Walstedt at 6 but would now consider Cossa more with the next pick because Petruzelli is gone. I think Edmonton grabs him before us however

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
some high praise for kenny , who btw has always been a center til 1st year in college :

That is literally the highest praise for Johnson that I have read/watched from any outlet online up to this point. I just don't understand how the praise can be that effusive when you can find video after video of him overhandling the puck and getting himself into trouble, time after time. And yes, he had a good ppg, but 15 of his 18 assists were secondary. He wasn't driving the play, at least in a lot of the viewings that I had. Beniers was the driver on his line.

Here's some of what elite prospects pointed out "There’s also the matter of Johnson’s propensity to overhandle the puck. Trying to make something happen is one thing. You want star players to have that game-breaking ability, and you don’t want them to be shy about using it. Johnson’s problem is that it sometimes seems as if he thinks that he’s going to break the game open on every puck touch, often missing passing options in far better spots in the process or just running out of space and turning the puck over. He also just does not have the puck protection mechanics in place to cover for this inefficiency in his game. It’s easier for Johnson to run out of space than it is most forwards, too. So much of his game occurs on the peripheries of the offensive zone. That hasn’t kept him from producing gaudy numbers at the NCAA level, even as an 18-year-old freshman, but it’s an area of concern for his long-term projection."

Now, they also had some high praise for his skill level and creativity, but nowhere near saying that he could be the top point producer of the draft, or a Kane level of player. Interesting....guess that just means that I can talk myself into him if he's the pick at 6.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Kinda tired of people shitting on secondary assists. Yeah a lot are just lucky but it can also show a player with superior play recognition knowing where the puck CAN go if they dish it to the primary guy. The goal never happens if that pass isn’t made.
That's all well and good, and secondary assists are still points. But it seems like once you dig into some of the overall metrics of how Michigan did while he was on the ice, his play didn't exactly help Michigan generate high danger scoring chances. Scouching's video on him really dives into this. The other really concerning aspect is his terrible defense. He was one of the lowest ranked players when it came to defensive involvement in transition and even when he did make the effort, guys still walked him the majority of the time. Now, a lot of that is probably based on his lack of strength and speed, but we keep lamenting about the Wings missing on their higher draft picks as a franchise...so why are people so keen on using a 6th overall pick on a player who isn't the main driver of play on his line, needs work on both speed and strength, isn't particularly good at defense, and doesn't generate much in the offensive zone on 5 on 5 (except for those secondary assists)?

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Here's an excerpt about another player whose game sounds eerily familiar to Johnson's, and who went well over a ppg his freshman ncaa season. And who also hasn't been able to overcome his lack of speed and strength to put it all together. Granted he was drafted in the middle of the 1st round, but he's already been traded from the team that drafted him.

"*Player* learned to view the game through the prism of his mitts. His default play is to look for opportunities to use his one-on-one skill -- that’s how he found success coming through the Junior and college ranks. However, few players can pull off that type of game against the top players in the world and he is, evidently, not one of them. He lacks the complementary skills to primarily play it.
In a vacuum, his skating ranks as about NHL average, but it can look below-average at times due to a lower pace of play and some poor habits. He often stops striding a couple of steps away from a good play, cutting forechecking and offensive rush routes short in order to put himself in a position to challenge defenders in a joust. He drives toward them instead of toward space and only engages them with his hands. He attacks in a glide and tries to slip the puck under-stick and around skates -- something that works at lower levels of competition, but not against more fleet of foot NHL defenders."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Here's an excerpt about another player whose game sounds eerily familiar to Johnson's, and who went well over a ppg his freshman ncaa season. And who also hasn't been able to overcome his lack of speed and strength to put it all together. Granted he was drafted in the middle of the 1st round, but he's already been traded from the team that drafted him.

"*Player* learned to view the game through the prism of his mitts. His default play is to look for opportunities to use his one-on-one skill -- that’s how he found success coming through the Junior and college ranks. However, few players can pull off that type of game against the top players in the world and he is, evidently, not one of them. He lacks the complementary skills to primarily play it.
In a vacuum, his skating ranks as about NHL average, but it can look below-average at times due to a lower pace of play and some poor habits. He often stops striding a couple of steps away from a good play, cutting forechecking and offensive rush routes short in order to put himself in a position to challenge defenders in a joust. He drives toward them instead of toward space and only engages them with his hands. He attacks in a glide and tries to slip the puck under-stick and around skates -- something that works at lower levels of competition, but not against more fleet of foot NHL defenders."

I think what worries me about Johnson is that he might be the second coming of Casey Mittelstadt who I liked as a player. He has tools there to be developed. As you put more power into his build and skating he should become more effective. Now there is some risk on Johnson to be sure, but his upside is pretty intriguing. One of the reasons he gets a ton of those secondary assists is his ability to quickly change attacking angles in the offensive zone. I think he has really high end hockey IQ. But he is a project, you're going to have to be patient with his development, but handle it right and you might be rewarded with a top 20 offensive guy in the league.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
SY will be relying on his most trusted scouts and head scout with pick #6 and thus will be drafting out of Europe and in particular Sweden.

Eklund
Edvinsson
Wallstedt

One of those 3 just seems to fall in line with our recent draft trends so perfectly.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
SY will be relying on his most trusted scouts and head scout with pick #6 and thus will be drafting out of Europe and in particular Sweden.

Eklund
Edvinsson
Wallstedt

One of those 3 just seems to fall in line with our recent draft trends so perfectly.
I agree. I think it will be one of these three.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Eklund
Edvinsson
Wallstedt

Or from Canada or from US

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Or from Canada or from US

No I dont think so.

It's not a better than/worse than comparison whatsoever.

It's a pattern, trust, philosophy thing.

It's just my hunch. I think they know we're still a ways away from competing, we're not drafting 1st OA obvious Connor Bedard, so stick with what we know and what's been working. That is a trend towards Sweden( that's a good thing) and a longer development curve that fits our timeline.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think what worries me about Johnson is that he might be the second coming of Casey Mittelstadt who I liked as a player. He has tools there to be developed. As you put more power into his build and skating he should become more effective. Now there is some risk on Johnson to be sure, but his upside is pretty intriguing. One of the reasons he gets a ton of those secondary assists is his ability to quickly change attacking angles in the offensive zone. I think he has really high end hockey IQ. But he is a project, you're going to have to be patient with his development, but handle it right and you might be rewarded with a top 20 offensive guy in the league.

I dont necessarily understand when people dont like prospects cause they remind them of other young guys who havent had a chance to do anything in the league. You see it a lot with Rasmussen as well. Mittelstadt just had a season on pace for 20 goals and 42 points on a horrible team with Lazar as his primary linemate all season. Theres plenty of time for him to turn into a player and if Johnson reminds you of him its not necessarily a negative thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad