Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I still think Cossa is fool's gold. Gaudreau looks like the better goalie of the two.

In a weird way I'm actually more comfortable going Wallstedt at 6th than Cossa at 22. If we're going with a goalie in the first, spend the extra draft capital and get the best you can. If not, I think I'd rather way and see who is there in the second round, and maybe grab Gaudreau there. That second first is where I hope we can grab someone floating under the radar a bit and grab a steal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In a weird way I'm actually more comfortable going Wallstedt at 6th than Cossa at 22. If we're going with a goalie in the first, spend the extra draft capital and get the best you can. If not, I think I'd rather way and see who is there in the second round, and maybe grab Gaudreau there. That second first is where I hope we can grab someone floating under the radar a bit and grab a steal.

There are teams that have Cossa above Wallstedt, we have heard that on more than one occasion in terms of people that would know that in the scouting world.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He’s quicker than Wallstedt though.

No he is not.

Scouting Report: Sebastian Cossa - Smaht Scouting

If you look closely at some of the graphs you'll see that little Lulea logo that shows Cossa is slower than Wallstedt.

Slower up-down time. Slower side to side time. Higher rebound rate in general. The only thing he's better at than Wallstedt by those metrics is low danger rebounds.

Scouting Report: Benjamin Gaudreau - Smaht Scouting

Also look at the save percentage chart in the Gaudreau report. Cossa has a better save percentage for low and medium danger chances than the other goalies but high danger is terrible. Those are the saves that a goalie has to do the most work, usually.

When comparing Gaudreau and Cossa, Gaudreau is approximately 0.06 seconds slower than Cossa moving post to post which you can attribute to his being 6'2" versus 6'6". Cossa is slower than Gaudreau by 0.05 when measuring their up-down speed.

Gaudreau has better overall metrics and will cost less draft capital as a mid to late 2nd than Cossa who is expected to be a late 1st to early 2nd.

If we're going to spend first round draft capital on a goalie it should be on Wallstedt. If we're going to spend a 2nd on a goalie it should be Gaudreau.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No he is not.

Scouting Report: Sebastian Cossa - Smaht Scouting

If you look closely at some of the graphs you'll see that little Lulea logo that shows Cossa is slower than Wallstedt.

Slower up-down time. Slower side to side time. Higher rebound rate in general. The only thing he's better at than Wallstedt by those metrics is low danger rebounds.

Scouting Report: Benjamin Gaudreau - Smaht Scouting

Also look at the save percentage chart in the Gaudreau report. Cossa has a better save percentage for low and medium danger chances than the other goalies but high danger is terrible. Those are the saves that a goalie has to do the most work, usually.

When comparing Gaudreau and Cossa, Gaudreau is approximately 0.06 seconds slower than Cossa moving post to post which you can attribute to his being 6'2" versus 6'6". Cossa is slower than Gaudreau by 0.05 when measuring their up-down speed.

Gaudreau has better overall metrics and will cost less draft capital as a mid to late 2nd than Cossa who is expected to be a late 1st to early 2nd.

If we're going to spend first round draft capital on a goalie it should be on Wallstedt. If we're going to spend a 2nd on a goalie it should be Gaudreau.

So this is such a cliche thing to say, but when it comes to goalies in particular it can be relevant. You can't teach size. There will be things that Cossa will get away with that few other goalies will get away with because of how much space he will be able to consume; especially in the butterfly he will be able to more effectively take away parts of the upper portions of the net.

I think if you bite on Cossa, you hope to train him and get a little more agility and athleticism, but the one thing you can't do is stretch Gaudreau out another 4 inches. The size is enough to justify a round gap between them, in my opinion.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not to shit on Smaht, but what are statistically significant differences in the data being tracked? Also, do we have any way of knowing that the players were attempting such movements as fast as humanly possible?

I understand why people are trying to quantify the game of hockey, but it still strikes me as a fool's errand.

Reactions: waltdetroit

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So this is such a cliche thing to say, but when it comes to goalies in particular it can be relevant. You can't teach size. There will be things that Cossa will get away with that few other goalies will get away with because of how much space he will be able to consume; especially in the butterfly he will be able to more effectively take away parts of the upper portions of the net.

I think if you bite on Cossa, you hope to train him and get a little more agility and athleticism, but the one thing you can't do is stretch Gaudreau out another 4 inches. The size is enough to justify a round gap between them, in my opinion.
6'2-6'3 is just fine. That's the range for Price, Fleury, Vasilevsky. Even Hellebuyck is only 6'4". I would rather draft a goaltender with the stronger IQ/Athletic component than just going for size. It would be different if the difference was 5'11" to 6'3" because you're just giving up more of the net due to not reaching the height of the crossbar, but at 6'2" to 6'6" the same upper corners are still there because the crossbar only goes so high.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How good is his team?? I remember when Toronto traded rask, because they had this Canadian kid. Turns out he was a paper tiger on stacked junior and Canada wjc teams.

I don't even look at goalie stats.
I look at 6'6 and read the scouting reports.

But if you're wondering.
Cossa - 1.:57 .941
Not Cossa - 2.25 .885 (only 4 games)

Last year
Cossa - 3.34 .921
Not Cossa - 2.23 .915 (Solid AHL goalie last year at 21 years old)
Not Cossa - 3.13 .894

So Cossa's stats seem pretty good.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
LOL Buffalo

Every day just be glad we aren't fans of the Sabres organization ha

Trying to read this news in the most generous light possible, I could see where Buffalo was waiting to have Granato officially on board as HC.

But also... yeah, I'm similarly glad that we aren't Sabres fans.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How hard can it be for the Sabres to schedule 1 f***ing zoom call? I get like 10 a day and still manage to half ass my job. What’s their excuse?

The Eichel trade is rumored to be including a top 10 pick. My guess is they have more diligence to do on that and it became a reality at end of year meetings. So while they have probably a top 5 board they trust and now they know #1 on it should be their guy, they are probably studying the hell out of the second pick at this point. At least that is my guess. I think they will talk to Power shortly, if he is their guy it isn't like they have to be consumed with it. Who knows how much their scouts or in particular Granato who is about as well connected in the USHL and NCAA as you can be already might know him, save him for later.

This becomes even bigger if you're flipping Eichel and Reinhart for 2021 draft picks, it would explain the ramp up in names they are going through for me at least.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The Eichel trade is rumored to be including a top 10 pick. My guess is they have more diligence to do on that and it became a reality at end of year meetings. So while they have probably a top 5 board they trust and now they know #1 on it should be their guy, they are probably studying the hell out of the second pick at this point. At least that is my guess. I think they will talk to Power shortly, if he is their guy it isn't like they have to be consumed with it. Who knows how much their scouts or in particular Granato who is about as well connected in the USHL and NCAA as you can be already might know him, save him for later.

This becomes even bigger if you're flipping Eichel and Reinhart for 2021 draft picks, it would explain the ramp up in names they are going through for me at least.

This is where my mind went too.

As long as they make a point to meet with him. They obviously don’t want to make him feel like he’s not important to their plans. And this negative media coverage will inevitably make them schedule something soon to make everyone calm down.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
https://www.podcastalley.ca/trackin...n is a,will focus on The Next Wave of players.

On the tracking the draft podcast Craig Button gives his projected top 6 picks before he posts his list next week.

1. Owen Power
2. Brandt Clarke
3. Matty Beniers/William Eklund
4. William Eklund/Matty Beniers
5. Luke Hughes
6. Fyodor Svechkov

He made a Beniers to Bo Horvat/Jonathan Toews comparison that doesn't sound off base. Also compared Eklund to Aho, and then said Fyodor Svechkov is not far off from Beniers as a center.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad