Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Edvinsson is a very good defensive player, so you're looking at a solid second pairing floor in my opinion. I have been kind of all over the map on him at times this year, he started as my #2. He does things at times offensively that I just don't really care for, but is it something you believe you can develop out of him? The tools on Edvinsson are pretty out of this world and in a lot of ways you could have a big hammer pairing there where you free up Seider to play more offensively and play more engaged physically. That has best pairing in the league potential, or when (let's be hopeful on this one) we get Werenski you have your ability to split a big three in leverage ways. I think this draft might tip our hand on what we believe on Werenski because we are only a couple years away from that being a reality. It might be why the defensive depth articles are starting to run in the Detroit press and those around the team are pushing they like the forwards in this draft too.

But I would be pretty ecstatic to land a talent of Edvinsson's abilities. It is hard to get away from how good the tools are here, it is on your team to develop that and we are eventually going to need to start winning on these, like we have with Seider thus far. That is how you get a lot better. I have him at #4 and a lot of that is on potential, but I believe defensively this guy is very good and has good instincts, what he becomes offensively is up to simplifying his game and getting better shooting selection. I don't think any of his flaws are fatal and I believe in the package of the player athletically that if Hakan says yes I will be very excited. He is kind of an upgraded Wallinder and I had him top 15 last year and we did like him. I hope if he slides we really consider it.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Edvinson is my choice. I think Power and Beniers go 1-2 and Hughes goes to the Devils at 4. That leaves the 3 and 5 picks to worry about. Whoever we get I will support because he is going to be a Red Wing. If we pick him it’s because the Wings believe he is the best pick and that’s good enough for me

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Edvinsson is a very good defensive player, so you're looking at a solid second pairing floor in my opinion. I have been kind of all over the map on him at times this year, he started as my #2. He does things at times offensively that I just don't really care for, but is it something you believe you can develop out of him? The tools on Edvinsson are pretty out of this world and in a lot of ways you could have a big hammer pairing there where you free up Seider to play more offensively and play more engaged physically. That has best pairing in the league potential, or when (let's be hopeful on this one) we get Werenski you have your ability to split a big three in leverage ways. I think this draft might tip our hand on what we believe on Werenski because we are only a couple years away from that being a reality. It might be why the defensive depth articles are starting to run in the Detroit press and those around the team are pushing they like the forwards in this draft too.

But I would be pretty ecstatic to land a talent of Edvinsson's abilities. It is hard to get away from how good the tools are here, it is on your team to develop that and we are eventually going to need to start winning on these, like we have with Seider thus far. That is how you get a lot better. I have him at #4 and a lot of that is on potential, but I believe defensively this guy is very good and has good instincts, what he becomes offensively is up to simplifying his game and getting better shooting selection. I don't think any of his flaws are fatal and I believe in the package of the player athletically that if Hakan says yes I will be very excited. He is kind of an upgraded Wallinder and I had him top 15 last year and we did like him. I hope if he slides we really consider it.

Are you as high on Edvinsson as you were on Broberg? They remind me of each other, big smooth skaters with a very high ceiling if they put it all together.

Edvinsson > Clarke for me, Clarke’s skating scares me

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Are you as high on Edvinsson as you were on Broberg? They remind me of each other, big smooth skaters with a very high ceiling if they put it all together.

Edvinsson > Clarke for me, Clarke’s skating scares me

There are similarities for sure, big guys with high-end skating. Edvinsson uses his stick better defensively in my opinion. Broberg was the better skater and for me has higher tier offensive gifts. I still think Broberg's going to be a really good player in Edmonton. So I was and still am a little higher on Broberg, but I really believe in what I think he will turn into. Edvinsson has very high end ceiling, he is one of those guys you can say was the best in this draft if it goes right, but it is far from a certainty. What I was saying I like about him is I have a hard time seeing him not becoming a solid top 4 guy, he should be good defensively in this league no matter what in terms of the tools he has and as he gets more seasoning. Now do you want to draft that high, not really. So I am banking you can clean up his offensive game, that he will round into something more.

When you get a talent with the gifts of guys like Edvinsson and Broberg, I believe firmly that is on your organization, coaches, the players you put around them to foster a good development, a good culture. That is how you get better and I am fairly certain that is what Yzerman is trying to recreate in Detroit. I am in favor of drafting high ceiling players and swinging for the fences. Most great teams in my opinion were built that way. Yzerman likes big monster athletic D-man, it is something I like about what he seems to like in players and excites me about him building our team. Carolina's D, Tampa's D, NYI's top pairing these guys are big rangy puck mover types that don't cheat in their own end. I believe in that kind of defender and yes there is a reality where Edvinsson is absolutely one of them.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Jeez, Johnson is so polarizing. Here he's #2, and many others he barely cracks the top 10.

True, Johnson certainly divides opinion. I feel like that's also a statement on this class though- after Power, the next 10ish players could go in just about any order. For example, I could just as easily see Brandt Clarke going at #2 to Seattle as I could see him going at #8 to Los Angeles.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Jeez, Johnson is so polarizing. Here he's #2, and many others he barely cracks the top 10.
This draft, for sure, has had a lot of polarizing opinions. Going to be interesting to see what the GM's think, when they make their picks.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This draft, for sure, has had a lot of polarizing opinions. Going to be interesting to see what the GM's think, when they make their picks.

I think that this is the kind of draft that we won't really see who the clear winners and losers are until 4 or 5 years down the line while most others you can tell after about 2 or 3. There were so many players who lost most of or a full year of development due to shutdowns. The OHL canned their season impacting hundreds of players. Swedish juniors shut down after a partial season, and the WHL played a very short season as well.

For all we know a guy like Pinelli would have lit the OHL on fire this season and moved into a top 10 pick slot if he played in Canada instead of overseas for a few months. And maybe we'd be able to see if McTavish is a better playmaker than advertised if he was the first line center on the Petes this year.

Reactions: golffuul and lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Yzerman essentially came out and said we don't have a goalie in our top 10. Not saying that press conference is definitive proof or anything, but it was a pretty bad sign for folks who want Wallstedt at #6.

Or Yzerman is just a damn good poker player and will dangle the 6th overall pick for the 9th/10th/11th overall picks plus extras, pick Wallstedt who was his guy at 6 and then laugh on the way to the bank?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Or Yzerman is just a damn good poker player and will dangle the 6th overall pick for the 9th/10th/11th overall picks plus extras, pick Wallstedt who was his guy at 6 and then laugh on the way to the bank?

Sure, he might be 3D chessing it. Personally I think it's more likely that he's just not particularly interested in Wallstedt with our 1st, but I suppose we won't know until draft day.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Yzerman essentially came out and said we don't have a goalie in our top 10. Not saying that press conference is definitive proof or anything, but it was a pretty bad sign for folks who want Wallstedt at #6.

Do you have a more specific quote or link in this regard?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

No for sure you're right. he did say that.

I found that odd though as I dont recall him saying we have x numbers of dmen, centers or wingers ranked in the top 10.

I tend to think though SY plays his cards close to his chest so wouldnt read into anything he says.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
There are similarities for sure, big guys with high-end skating. Edvinsson uses his stick better defensively in my opinion. Broberg was the better skater and for me has higher tier offensive gifts. I still think Broberg's going to be a really good player in Edmonton. So I was and still am a little higher on Broberg, but I really believe in what I think he will turn into. Edvinsson has very high end ceiling, he is one of those guys you can say was the best in this draft if it goes right, but it is far from a certainty. What I was saying I like about him is I have a hard time seeing him not becoming a solid top 4 guy, he should be good defensively in this league no matter what in terms of the tools he has and as he gets more seasoning. Now do you want to draft that high, not really. So I am banking you can clean up his offensive game, that he will round into something more.

When you get a talent with the gifts of guys like Edvinsson and Broberg, I believe firmly that is on your organization, coaches, the players you put around them to foster a good development, a good culture. That is how you get better and I am fairly certain that is what Yzerman is trying to recreate in Detroit. I am in favor of drafting high ceiling players and swinging for the fences. Most great teams in my opinion were built that way. Yzerman likes big monster athletic D-man, it is something I like about what he seems to like in players and excites me about him building our team. Carolina's D, Tampa's D, NYI's top pairing these guys are big rangy puck mover types that don't cheat in their own end. I believe in that kind of defender and yes there is a reality where Edvinsson is absolutely one of them.

I guess my only fear with a tools dman is that the Wings haven't really been able to develope one in years. Hopefully this changes with Stevie, but its a big concern. I mean our successful top 4s in the past 20+ years are Kronwall, Fisher, and Hronek (who is still a tad iffy). We hope Seider is one too, but I'm not counting until he is here.

I'm still very intrigued by him, and I do like that he would be a Hakan pick if we grab him.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Their Twitter says it’s coming out soon. Anyone see the first part of what elite prospects released?

Pulling this over to the Draft Prospects thread.

It's unfortunately a shitty to use electronic magazine preview with no download, but I can share a little bit of their rankings to start and maybe a few tidbits as I read through it.

1. Matthew Beniers
2. William Eklund
3. Owen Power
4. Brandt Clarke
5. Mason McTavish
6. Jesper Wallstedt
7. Dylan Guenther
8. Simon Edvinsson
9. Fabian Lysell
10. Kent Johnson
11. Luke Hughes

Edit: They state that as the season went on, their top 5 became clear and separate from the others

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Have we discussed this kid at all?

Oliver Kapanen, Center
Oliver Kapanen at eliteprospects.com

Father was a pro in Finland. Uncle is Sami Kapanen, former Carolina Hurricanes player and cousin of Kasperi Kapanen. He didn't have a good showing at the WJC18's but the skating and shooting look really good from what I can see of this kid.

Caught cherry picking a few times in the shift by shift video. Not the strongest player defensively. Good hands though.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Absent from the project: Hughes, Johnson, Edvinsson

Surprise inclusion: Sillinger

Is it strategy? Throw off the scent? Is it honesty? Give the fans something to research? Who knows!

Not mad they included Cole :)

Don’t know why they wasted their time including Power, lol

Reactions: NickH8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad