Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Should be picking roughly top 10 so here are some of the most likely candidates for the 1st pick. Some highlights for people who want to get a quick idea of the kids.

Owen Power 6’5 215 LHD (26,3-13-16)NCAA

Luke Hughes 6’2 176 LHD (56,10-39-49)UNTDP/USHL

Brandt Clarke 6’2 190 RHD (26,5-10-15)Slovakia

Reactions: Ulysses31

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Matty Beniers(L) 6’1 174 C. (24,10-14-24) NCAA

Kent Johnson(L) 6’1 165 C/W (26,9-18-27) NCAA

Jesper Wallstedt 6’3 214 G
(22, 2.23,.908) SHL

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I’m glad the team is playing better but it sucks we’re probably going to miss out on Power, Beniers or Hughes without some lottery luck.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
For goalies, I really like Gerasimyuk. Playing for a terrible team but doing really well. Late round gem

Kirill Gerasimyuk at eliteprospects.com

I have been keeping an eye on the stats but have not seen any of them in action but I like all 4 Russian goalies in this draft, including the one you point out in Gerasimyuk. My personal favorite is Semyon Vyazovoy. He has put together three good years now with an average save percentage of .928 in the last three and a high of .939 this year in the MHL. Would love to see the Wings pick him in this years draft.

The other two Russian goalies are a bit smaller, just over 6' in height but have shown well over the past few years as well.

Maxim Motorygin- .914/.912 save percentage and 2.20/2.14 goals per game average

Platon Zadorozhny- .924/.920 and 2.17/2.40

Any of these 4 would be a welcome addition to our goalie prospects listing.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Sebastian Cossa is who I want with WAS's 1st rounder this year. A huge goalie (6'6'') with impressive numbers, albeit with an impressive team in front of him. He saved 376 out of the 398 shots he faced in 15 games played, with 3 shutouts.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’m a big fan of Guenther. His skillset is incredible. He regularly beats defenders 1 on 1 , has an excellent shot and great offensive IQ. His shot gets so much attention that his passing flys under the radar, he is great at putting the puck where his teammates need it to either, release a one timer or pick it up in stride and at full speed. For a such a skilled guy he will surprise you with his grit, and will go hard to the net.

If we’re picking outside of the top 2 (Power/Beniers for he might be my pick although I’m quite interested in Hughes too.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So I will preface this by saying that we heard similar things coming from hockeyprospect.com's Black Book last year regarding Raymond, that he didn't really leave a positive impression on people off the ice during interviews, but I was browsing the Elite Prospects pre U18 rankings this morning and saw something on Luke Hughes that I found rather interesting.

"The other thing is that the next flattering account of his off-ice makeup to grace our staff's ears will be the first; a fair bit of concern around the league that way."

Not super informative as to what angle this follows, but I found it interesting nonetheless and worth sharing.

Reactions: BSHH

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So I will preface this by saying that we heard similar things coming from hockeyprospect.com's Black Book last year regarding Raymond, that he didn't really leave a positive impression on people off the ice during interviews, but I was browsing the Elite Prospects pre U18 rankings this morning and saw something on Luke Hughes that I found rather interesting.

"The other thing is that the next flattering account of his off-ice makeup to grace our staff's ears will be the first; a fair bit of concern around the league that way."

Not super informative as to what angle this follows, but I found it interesting nonetheless and worth sharing.

I thought it was crazy enough he was faking an injury to slide to us, but now he is really laying it on thick... :sarcasm:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I thought it was crazy enough he was faking an injury to slide to us, but now he is really laying it on thick... :sarcasm:

I wish that some of these sources would give us SOMETHING other than just a little piece here, little piece there.

We to this day don't know what Mark's team and sources thought was unimpressive about Raymond in interview settings. This comment by JD Burke and company with Elite Prospects really doesn't give much to go on. Is it a dedication problem off ice? Has be bought into the Hughes family hype because of Quinn and Jack before him? Like what exactly is the concern.

If you won't give any additional insight to substantiate a statement like this, it feels biased against a kid.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Language like this feels straight out of a gossip column to me. I'm disappointed they'd choose to include something so vague. (Edit: I thought the comment came from hockeyprospect.com, but it came from EPrinkside)

If a coach, mentor, etc. has had a poor experience with Luke then include that, ideally in a quote or paraphrase. You don't have to name them if you're worried about maintaining sources or confidentiality.

If you don't have any concrete examples of poor behavior, I wouldn't include language like this. You're essentially calling a 17 year old kid a jerk with nothing included to back it up. Wouldn't be my style if I were running a legitimate prospect publication.

Edit: HK I didn't see your reply when I started typing, but I agree and echo that.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I generally like and respect hockeyprospect.com's work, but language like this feels straight out of a gossip column to me. I'm disappointed they'd choose to include something so vague.

If a coach, mentor, etc. has had a poor experience with Luke then include that, ideally in a quote or paraphrase. You don't have to name them if you're worried about maintaining sources or confidentiality.

If you don't have any concrete examples of poor behavior, I wouldn't include language like this. You're essentially calling a 17 year old kid a jerk with nothing included to back it up. Wouldn't be my style if I were running a legitimate prospect publication.

Edit: HK I didn't see your reply when I started typing, but I agree and echo that.

To be clear, this most recent bit is not on hockeyprospect.com. It is eprinkside.com. Don't want to put words in the wrong people's mouth.

Just saying that there is consistency between comments we heard about Raymond last year, and things that were just said about Hughes this year.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
To be clear, this most recent bit is not on hockeyprospect.com. It is eprinkside.com. Don't want to put words in the wrong people's mouth.

Just saying that there is consistency between comments we heard about Raymond last year, and things that were just said about Hughes this year.

My mistake, I'll edit to reflect that.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Eklund should be higher probably 4th in your list, I am loosing interest in Wallstendt

Personally, if we took Eklund with Johnson on the board I'd be a bit disappointed. Not devastated or anything, Eklund is a very good prospect. But I prefer Johnson's tools and upside.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Personally, if we took Eklund with Johnson on the board I'd be a bit disappointed. Not devastated or anything, Eklund is a very good prospect. But I prefer Johnson's tools and upside.
It's possible that the only NHL ready from this draft it's Eklund. Johnson needs a lot more development, but yes he has higher sealing. The biggest thing that I like about Eklund it's his his huge improvement compare to last year, also It seems like Holtz was struggle last season without Eklund

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
It's possible that the only NHL ready from this draft it's Eklund. Johnson needs a lot more development, but yes he has higher sealing. The biggest thing that I like about Eklund it's his his huge improvement compare to last year, also It seems like Holtz was struggle last season without Eklund

I agree that Eklund is more NHL ready than Johnson. But to me, if we're drafting a winger top 10, I'm drafting the guy with the best chance to be a franchise-changing talent.

I think Eklund has a nice upside, but I think that Johnson (and to a lesser extent Guenther) has the potential to be the best player in this draft. If we're picking in the #6-9 range, Johnson is probably the guy I'm advocating for (unless maybe Luke Hughes falls).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->