Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’m not that high on Lambos. I don’t see much upside in him and I’m not that interested in him for the Islanders pick. Depends on who’s there but I like Ceulemans much more and there’s forwards who could be available that I’d rather as well.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’m not that high on Lambos. I don’t see much upside in him and I’m not that interested in him for the Islanders pick. Depends on who’s there but I like Ceulemans much more and there’s forwards who could be available that I’d rather as well.

It's okay not to be high on Lambos -- or any prospect, for that matter -- but saying his upside is the problem is entirely inaccurate.

Lambos is a 6'1-200 athlete, with terrific skating ability and an absolute bomb of a shot. His shot may be the hardest of any defenseman in the 2021 class, though I would rate it behind Brandt Clarke because Clarke gets his off quicker with more accuracy.

His strength and balance are unquestioned -- though most would like him play physically with more consistency, when he leans into an opposing forward with a shoulder check they usually go flying, and though he can be outworked in the dirty areas I'm not sure I've ever seen him outmuscled.

Lambos' problems can be attributed to consistency issues, which sometimes call his compete level and hockey IQ into question. Last year with Winnipeg of the WHL, Lambos seemed to be a high-level passer, routinely threading stretch passes and great feeds in the offensive zone. This year -- not so much. He really struggled in Finland, there's no doubt. I have heard questions from some people I trust in Western Canada, questioning whether his health issues -- which have been kept very vague and murky and cost him the end of the season -- could have contributed to his sub-par play in his draft-eligible campaign.

Either way, it's dropped Lambos in the draft. Entering the season, he was a consensus top 5 pick, and now he's likely a pick in the #12-#20 range. But the question is certainly not upside. I think it's realistic to say that Lambos is the high-upside/high-risk defenseman of the 2021 draft. There are a lot of ifs here. If his struggles this year were related to health issues? If it was just that Lambos had trouble adjusting to foreign ice and foreign culture at a young age? Well, it's not impossible that Lambos winds up being among the top two or three defensemen from the class of 2021 -- a defensive stalwart who is also your 1PP trigger-man and capable of high point production at the professional level. But it is also important to keep in mind that it is never a safe bet to draft a player who actually regressed from his 16 year old season to his 17 year old season.

But for the sake of accuracy, let's refer to the Lambos Conundrum for what it is -- not a question of upside, but rather of risk assessment. This kid's upside is ridiculous, but his very troubling draft-eligible campaign raises a lot of scary questions.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
It's okay not to be high on Lambos -- or any prospect, for that matter -- but saying his upside is the problem is entirely inaccurate.

Lambos is a 6'1-200 athlete, with terrific skating ability and an absolute bomb of a shot. His shot may be the hardest of any defenseman in the 2021 class, though I would rate it behind Brandt Clarke because Clarke gets his off quicker with more accuracy.

His strength and balance are unquestioned -- though most would like him play physically with more consistency, when he leans into an opposing forward with a shoulder check they usually go flying, and though he can be outworked in the dirty areas I'm not sure I've ever seen him outmuscled.

Lambos' problems can be attributed to consistency issues, which sometimes call his compete level and hockey IQ into question. Last year with Winnipeg of the WHL, Lambos seemed to be a high-level passer, routinely threading stretch passes and great feeds in the offensive zone. This year -- not so much. He really struggled in Finland, there's no doubt. I have heard questions from some people I trust in Western Canada, questioning whether his health issues -- which have been kept very vague and murky and cost him the end of the season -- could have contributed to his sub-par play in his draft-eligible campaign.

Either way, it's dropped Lambos in the draft. Entering the season, he was a consensus top 5 pick, and now he's likely a pick in the #12-#20 range. But the question is certainly not upside. I think it's realistic to say that Lambos is the high-upside/high-risk defenseman of the 2021 draft. There are a lot of ifs here. If his struggles this year were related to health issues? If it was just that Lambos had trouble adjusting to foreign ice and foreign culture at a young age? Well, it's not impossible that Lambos winds up being among the top two or three defensemen from the class of 2021 -- a defensive stalwart who is also your 1PP trigger-man and capable of high point production at the professional level. But it is also important to keep in mind that it is never a safe bet to draft a player who actually regressed from his 16 year old season to his 17 year old season.

But for the sake of accuracy, let's refer to the Lambos Conundrum for what it is -- not a question of upside, but rather of risk assessment. This kid's upside is ridiculous, but his very troubling draft-eligible campaign raises a lot of scary questions.

A longshot but I can see Makar potential with Lambos. Admittedly I haven't watched full game film, but just from his offensive highlights, his ability to use his mobility to create shooting lanes combined with a heavy shot reminds me of Cale.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I really just don’t agree. I think his skating is pretty good but not as good as you are saying. I don’t see it as a problem at all but it’s not an attribute that is good enough to really separate him from the other dmen who could go around him in the 1st round IMO.

He definitely has a good shot and looks physically strong but he doesn’t have great puck skills or any other attributes that really make me think he has high upside and could be really good if some things go right.

I’d be okay taking him and think he can be a solid top 4 dman that can run a power play but if we’re at 20 there’s a good chance some other plays I like more could be available.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Is this even gonna be live?

....I mean how it used to be? Jack will prob be swimming in subbans pool or something.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I just heard someone compare Clark to Smith, then proceeded to say that he would be redundant!? (Let’s Go Devils Podcast, Ryan Wegman via McKeen’s) He also had the Devils taking Jesper Wallstedt with many favorites on the board!

upload_2021-5-18_11-20-25.gif

NHL Mock Draft: Owen Power tops 2021 prospect class

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Edvinsson is a much better prospect and has higher upside. They’re not even on the same level IMO so I don’t get why some people like to act like Edvinsson is just another Mukhammadullin. If Edvinsson really turns out he could be a good #1 dman. If Mukhammadullin turns out I don’t see him being anything more than a solid 2nd pairing guy. Edvinsson has a much better skillset and has more potential.

I’d rather Clarke, Power or Hughes than Edvinsson but I would be okay with us taking him and he’d immediately be our top d prospect without question.
That's your take and it's fine but it's certainly not mine. I don't think they are comparable prospects as of right now but I certainly feel Mookie's upside is that of Edvinsson's. He's just further from it.

Edvinsson is not someone worth investing a premium draft pick on. Not when the board around the Islanders pick potentially offers a LHD with similar upside.

EDIT - Just saw your take on Lambos. Yeah, we're simply not going to agree on anything here.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I just heard someone compare Clark to Smith, then proceeded to say that he would be redundant!? (Let’s Go Devils Podcast, Ryan Wegman via McKeen’s) He also had the Devils taking Jesper Wallstedt with many favorites on the board!

View attachment 435426

His final 2020 mock draft was similarly peculiar. He got 3 out of 31 picks correct, including Lafreniere at #1. Of the mainstream mock drafts I found, his was bringing in the rear in terms of "accuracy" on how things actually unfolded.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I really just don’t agree. I think his skating is pretty good but not as good as you are saying. I don’t see it as a problem at all but it’s not an attribute that is good enough to really separate him from the other dmen who could go around him in the 1st round IMO.

He definitely has a good shot and looks physically strong but he doesn’t have great puck skills or any other attributes that really make me think he has high upside and could be really good if some things go right.

I’d be okay taking him and think he can be a solid top 4 dman that can run a power play but if we’re at 20 there’s a good chance some other plays I like more could be available.

I actually hate highlight videos, and I want to thank you for giving me a rare opportunity to recommend one. But I fear all the Lambos video you have seen may have been this year in Finland -- which does not tell the story. Of course, we don't even know what the story is -- but I feel I've hammered home enough what a disastrous season Lambos has had, whether the root was physical health or mental well-being.

But this case is an exception, because the Carson Lambos you describe is actually the-opposite-of-Carson-Lambos. The reason he was routinely ranked #1 and #2 and #3 overall entering the 2021 season was because of his phenomenal skill set which separates him from the other defensemen in the draft.

Lambos is an outstanding skater -- though his straightaway speed is nowhere in the league of a Hughes and probably a touch below Edvinsson, it's better than Power or Clarke. But his mobility is outstanding -- he's got a penchant for being able to sell the player defending him that he's going in one direction and then (and I like to call this "The Makar") turn his edges and change direction to get a window. Where this move is particularly effective to me is that he is able to shoot from any body position with absolute authority. He's scored on WHL goalies with wrist shots off his back foot from the blueline. He's just so good at creating a window of space and then his shot is so dangerous.

Lambos' puck skills have never been questioned. He's a tremendous stick-handler who can dangle around, and through defenders. He's a combination of the fancy moves of a Luke Hughes and the power moves of an Owen Power.

Here's the highlight video -- and I'll remind you I hate these, because you can pretty much compile one of these for any player taken in the 5th round and they'll look like a surefire stud. But I include it because Lambos' high-end skills are all on display in it -- skating around and through guys, blasting the puck from ridiculous body positions past set goaltenders, dangling the puck on a string:

Lambos' problems are not with his potential, which is downright enormous. It's with his compete level, decision making and performance which all took a large dip from his 16 year old season to his 17 year old season -- and the questions whether there is a bigger physical or perhaps psychological reason for such a lackluster year with a fair degree of uncertainty surrounding it.

Again, if you don't prefer Lambos as a prospect, that's fine. But let's get the reasons why he's been criticized and dropped in rankings to be accurately depicted instead of creating a false narrative that he has some limited upside. In my current rankings, Lambos is third among my "second tier" of 2021 defensemen, #19 overall. But the two players in my second tier ahead of him -- Svozil and Edvinsson -- both lack Lambos' huge scoring upside. However, Svozil and Edvinsson are much safer picks who also have excellent overall upside, which was my reasoning behind the ranking. Lambos has legit 20+ goal potential from the blueline at the NHL level. But again -- if he continues his regression from 2019-20 to 2020-21, who knows? Sometimes he looked like an amnesia victim who forgot how to play hockey or that he was once a dominant defenseman in the WHL despite being one of the youngest players in the league.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

View attachment 435426

I'm a big supporter of Wagman, but again we're talking about a talent evaluator who knows more about the prospects themselves than the teams making the picks. He's also a guy to project his own opinions over the actual probabilities. Exhibit A would be William Eklund at #12 overall -- just no. Exhibit B would be Jack Peart at #25 with Heimosalmi and Svozil both falling out of the first round -- also, no. Exhibit C would be Bolduc, Othmann and Robertsson all falling out of the first round. Absolutely, no.

The draft order is also technically impossible. I'm ashamed to say that he got paid for this and I work for you dingbats for free.

Similarly, Clarke is very, very different than Smith. Smith is in the "Brian Leetch School" of cerebral, high-effort defensemen with excellent mobility who accrue big offensive numbers via excellent anticipation, decision making and precision of execution. Clarke is the toughest player to compare in the entire draft because the NHL has never seen another player quite like him. His hands would be elite among first-line NHL forwards, and though his straightaway speed is decent, his edge work is phenomenal. He looks like a video game out there, playing keep away from the opposition. When you factor in his elite-level skills at both passing and shooting -- well, it's difficult to say what his talent ceiling is, but it's not impossible to envision him as one of the highest scoring NHL defenders for a decade. He's really got a "holy s--t" factor which is not the name of Smith's game -- Smith is more economical and subtle in his offensive skills. I feel in Smith's prime he'll have games where he accrues three assists and you didn't even realize it until reading the stat sheet.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I actually hate highlight videos, and I want to thank you for giving me a rare opportunity to recommend one. But I fear all the Lambos video you have seen may have been this year in Finland -- which does not tell the story. Of course, we don't even know what the story is -- but I feel I've hammered home enough what a disastrous season Lambos has had, whether the root was physical health or mental well-being.

But this case is an exception, because the Carson Lambos you describe is actually the-opposite-of-Carson-Lambos. The reason he was routinely ranked #1 and #2 and #3 overall entering the 2021 season was because of his phenomenal skill set which separates him from the other defensemen in the draft.

Lambos is an outstanding skater -- though his straightaway speed is nowhere in the league of a Hughes and probably a touch below Edvinsson, it's better than Power or Clarke. But his mobility is outstanding -- he's got a penchant for being able to sell the player defending him that he's going in one direction and then (and I like to call this "The Makar") turn his edges and change direction to get a window. Where this move is particularly effective to me is that he is able to shoot from any body position with absolute authority. He's scored on WHL goalies with wrist shots off his back foot from the blueline. He's just so good at creating a window of space and then his shot is so dangerous.

Lambos' puck skills have never been questioned. He's a tremendous stick-handler who can dangle around, and through defenders. He's a combination of the fancy moves of a Luke Hughes and the power moves of an Owen Power.

Here's the highlight video -- and I'll remind you I hate these, because you can pretty much compile one of these for any player taken in the 5th round and they'll look like a surefire stud. But I include it because Lambos' high-end skills are all on display in it -- skating around and through guys, blasting the puck from ridiculous body positions past set goaltenders, dangling the puck on a string:

Lambos' problems are not with his potential, which is downright enormous. It's with his compete level, decision making and performance which all took a large dip from his 16 year old season to his 17 year old season -- and the questions whether there is a bigger physical or perhaps psychological reason for such a lackluster year with a fair degree of uncertainty surrounding it.

Again, if you don't prefer Lambos as a prospect, that's fine. But let's get the reasons why he's been criticized and dropped in rankings to be accurately depicted instead of creating a false narrative that he has some limited upside. In my current rankings, Lambos is third among my "second tier" of 2021 defensemen, #19 overall. But the two players in my second tier ahead of him -- Svozil and Edvinsson -- both lack Lambos' huge scoring upside. However, Svozil and Edvinsson are much safer picks who also have excellent overall upside, which was my reasoning behind the ranking. Lambos has legit 20+ goal potential from the blueline at the NHL level. But again -- if he continues his regression from 2019-20 to 2020-21, who knows? Sometimes he looked like an amnesia victim who forgot how to play hockey or that he was once a dominant defenseman in the WHL despite being one of the youngest players in the league.

I’m not creating some false narrative. I just don’t agree with you on his upside or his skating. His skating is pretty good but not great or anywhere near Makar’s IMO. I don’t prefer him compared to others who could be available at the Isles pick because I don’t think his upside is that high. Simple as that I don’t get how you can say that’s creating a false narrative.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I want to thank @DevilsfanfromCanada for starting a -- very necessary -- debate on Carson Lambos. The fact is, if the Devils miss out on the Big 3 D with their top-6 pick, Lambos becomes a serious point of discussion with the Islanders pick, and as such it's necessary to talk about him.

I wanted to throw out a few statistics which illustrate Lambos' big-time offensive capabilities. In the 2019-20 WHL season, Lambos finished 2nd among WHL under-18-year-old defensemen with 32 points (8g, 24a). First in this category was Kaiden Guhle (40 points), who was a high first round pick in the 2020 draft, a full year older than Lambos. For under-17 WHL D, Lambos' 32 points easily topped the leaderboard -- there was not another 16 year old D even to top 20 points.

This year -- and it's been well-documented how disappointing the season was for Lambos -- he played 19 games across the Finnish J18, J20 and Liiga (men's league) with 2 games in the WHL before his season ended due to a mysterious health issue. In these 19 games, Lambos totaled 2 goals and 12 assists for 14 points.

To put this in perspective, a player I love like Stanislav Svozil accrued 32 games between the Czech pro league and Czech-2 and totaled 2 goals and 3 assist for 5 points. Or how about Simon Edvinsson? In 38 games across the SJU20, Allvenskan and the SHL, he totaled 1 goals and 11 assists for 12 points. Even if you take out Edvinsson's 10 games in the Swedish men's league so that his level of competition is more similar to Lambos', Edvinsson has 28 games with 1 goal and 10 assists -- far inferior numbers to Lambos. Aleksi Heimosalmi played 35 games in the Finnish J20 and compiled 4 goals and 17 assists for 21 points -- Lambos (in an off year) played 13 games in the same league and had 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 points -- far superior to Heimosalmi's scoring rate.

Now, these are certainly unfair comparisons in that the other three "Tier 2 D" I've mentioned all had terrific seasons on the defensive side of the puck and play with consistent high-end compete levels, while Lambos was problematic in both areas in a mysteriously regressive season. But if we're going to talk about pure scoring upside, it would be a tremendous mistake to put Svozil, Edvinsson or Heimosalmi in the same league as Lambos -- because they're not. Lambos' offensive tools are far and away the best of the four, and his point production thus far has far and away been the most impressive of the four, even in a notably down year.

Yes, Lambos has the most risk of the 4. But he also has the highest potential reward, especially when you factor in that he is the physically strongest, and in his draft-2 campaign of 2019-20 was utilized by Winnipeg as an all-situations, physical shut-down defenseman.

Personally, I feel that even if the Devils took a D at #4 or #5 overall, Lambos would still have to be considered a possibility if he is still available with the Islanders pick. His upside as an NHL top-pairing D is right there with the Big 3 D of Power, Hughes and Clarke -- it's just that he comes with maybe more risk than the Big 3 combined.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’m not creating some false narrative. I just don’t agree with you on his upside or his skating. His skating is pretty good but not great or anywhere near Makar’s IMO. I don’t prefer him compared to others who could be available at the Isles pick because I don’t think his upside is that high. Simple as that I don’t get how you can say that’s creating a false narrative.

Dobber Prospects: A potential minute-eating two-way defender at the NHL level. An intriguing combination of speed, strength, and skill on the backend with top-pair upside.

LWOS: Lambos excellent skating ability helps him to play a strong two-way game. He has a great first step and excellent acceleration reaching top speed in just a few strides. His top-end speed is very good and allows him to carry the puck past forecheckers and out of the defensive zone. This strong speed is also true of his backwards skating. Lambos has very good agility and edgework. This helps him to maintain good gap control defensively and to walk the line laterally in the offensive zone. His pivots are crisp which help him to transition from offence to defence and vice-versa. Lambos has good lower body strength. He is strong on the puck and capable of winning battles along the boards and in front of the net.

Steve Kournianos: Lambos possesses excellent mobility and quickness for a defenseman with a powerful, sturdy frame. He isn’t a consistent end-to-end rusher like most high-end defense prospects but eluding or out-pacing forecheck pressure is one of Lambos’s major strengths. His movements are incredibly efficient, especially when forecheckers try to fix him into a tough situation. Upon retrievals, Lambos will peel back multiple times, using his edges and balance (and quick shoulder checks) to keep the puck away from the side of the opponent’s blade. His turns are both sharp and rapid, but Lambos drops a quick first step when he decides to head north and accelerate with a long, powerful stride.

McKeen's: First, let's discuss the positives as there are many of them. Lambos is a smooth skating defenseman with quick feet, very good mobility and strong edges. He has a powerful stride and can skate with the puck out of trouble. Along the offensive blueline he shows shifty and strong footwork. He can jump into the play on the ice and possesses the speed to recover in time. I wouldn't call his skating excellent, but it is definitely an area of strength.

SmahtScouting: If we focus on his lateral movements for a brief second, one of the qualities that I am fond of is Lambos’ “happy-feet”. For those who are unaware of what I mean by “happy-feet”, it is Josh Tessler lingo for a defenseman who deploys a rapid stride that allows him to go from side to side at a quick pace. With Lambos’ happy-feet, he can quickly skate along the blue line and find teammates to pass to even in traffic. Lambos can use his speed to dodge traffic, find an open lane, pass the puck or take a shot.

Now again, no one is saying that Carson Lambos skates like Luke Hughes -- he doesn't. But his skating is -- without any doubt -- a strength, and a reason why you can project his upside as huge, not why you wouldn't. When combined with a tremendous shot, terrific size and strength, a fantastic set of hands and the ability to make high-end passes, you get "upside". The question is whether his poor draft-eligible season and oft-questioned compete/decision-making create an untenable risk factor. This is why I've slotted Lambos at #19 overall, rather than inside my top 10. But to me -- and to most of the people I've read assessing Lambos -- upside is the reason you draft him.

I'll leave you with a link to Steve Kournianos prospect profile on Carson Lambos. Kournianos currently ranks Lambos #4 overall, and his prospect profiles are free so it's an easy link to give:

2021 Draft Profile: LHD Carson Lambos - The Draft Analyst

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
His final 2020 mock draft was similarly peculiar. He got 3 out of 31 picks correct, including Lafreniere at #1. Of the mainstream mock drafts I found, his was bringing in the rear in terms of "accuracy" on how things actually unfolded.

Haha, if you're including Lafreniere as one of his 3 "wins", you're really grading on the curve.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

I think you always take someone like Lambos with a 2nd first round pick if possible. Svozil and Edvinsson would be great picks as well but hypothetically if all there were to be available dare to be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad