Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I should add tho, this is if othmann is gone. Cuz that dude can hit some dingers. Still tho, it’s good to see that hovering around that isles pick are some crafty looking forwards we’ll have a shot at.

Reactions: longislanddevil

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
To be fair, Mukhamadullin went from a low ranged prospect to a higher ranked prospect this season it seems, so NJ wasn't wrong, in my thought, that Muk was better than the pre-draft rankings. With NJ not having a pick until the third round last draft, it was grab Mukhamadullin there or pick someone else who they just didn't like as much. (Maybe they could have traded down but who knows, maybe they tried and didn't like the offers) To them, he wasn't a reach. For whatever reason they saw him as a better choice than Lapierre or Perrault, or whoever. Nothing about his season suggests he's not a potential NHL player even if he is a project. My only criticism is that I suspect that Fitz handpicked Mukhamadullin for that selection based on the way he described him. If the scouts wanted someone else I'd be disappointed if Fitz overruled them.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I can easily see Mukhamadullin turning out as a Ristolainen type player if he does make it. That'd be brutal

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I can easily see Mukhamadullin turning out as a Ristolainen type player if he does make it. That'd be brutal
Risto didn't develop defensively at all how anyone wanted him too and he's still a 35 point defensemen on a very bad team. If Mukhamadullin turns out to be Risto I don't think that would be brutal at all, maybe disappointing but that is still a producing blueliner. You can do things to mitigate his defensive shortcomings which Buffalo clearly never has.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
To be fair, Mukhamadullin went from a low ranged prospect to a higher ranked prospect this season it seems, so NJ wasn't wrong, in my thought, that Muk was better than the pre-draft rankings. With NJ not having a pick until the third round last draft, it was grab Mukhamadullin there or pick someone else who they just didn't like as much. (Maybe they could have traded down but who knows, maybe they tried and didn't like the offers) To them, he wasn't a reach. For whatever reason they saw him as a better choice than Lapierre or Perrault, or whoever. Nothing about his season suggests he's not a potential NHL player even if he is a project. My only criticism is that I suspect that Fitz handpicked Mukhamadullin for that selection based on the way he described him. If the scouts wanted someone else I'd be disappointed if Fitz overruled them.
He statistically had one of the best 18yr old defensive seasons in KHL history. He was good at WJC then got hurt, I don't know how anyone can be down on the pick as of today.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Risto didn't develop defensively at all how anyone wanted him too and he's still a 35 point defensemen on a very bad team. If Mukhamadullin turns out to be Risto I don't think that would be brutal at all, maybe disappointing but that is still a producing blueliner. You can do things to mitigate his defensive shortcomings which Buffalo clearly never has.
Risto is an anchor and has been a net negative. I have no interest in having that type of player on this team, but I do see (based on limited viewings) that Muk could be that type of a player.

I'm not a fan of the move but perhaps in a few years he can show to be better than I am anticipating.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Risto is an anchor and has been a net negative. I have no interest in having that type of player on this team, but I do see (based on limited viewings) that Muk could be that type of a player.

I'm not a fan of the move but perhaps in a few years he can show to be better than I am anticipating.
I 100% guarantee if you put Risto on the Pens he would be a drastically better player. We shouldn't evaluating players and comparing without factoring in environment and how it affects players.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I 100% guarantee if you put Risto on the Pens he would be a drastically better player. We shouldn't evaluating players and comparing without factoring in environment and how it affects players.
Reality is, Risto performs worse relative to his his teammates. He is just a terrible Dman.

If Muk becomes anything resembling that, he did not pan out.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Reality is, Risto performs worse relative to his his teammates. He is just a terrible Dman.

If Muk becomes anything resembling that, he did not pan out.
Again I think he is misused on a bad in a bad situation, who was poorly developed and had bad coaching his whole career. He would be drastically better on almost any team with half decent coaching.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fitz outright said he tried to trade down and couldn’t find a trade partner. I don’t know about hand selecting Muk, it’s not he would scouts the players but the GM does make the final call in the 1st round, along the head of scouting. The team’s scouts don’t all speak with one unified voice and individual scouts focus on certain leagues.

Since we didn’t have a 2nd, and considering we took a goalie with our 3rd, I could see Fitz wanting a defenseman. Everybody sort of saw that coming though.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Fitz outright said he tried to trade down and couldn’t find a trade partner. I don’t know about hand selecting Muk, it’s not he would scouts the players but the GM does make the final call in the 1st round, along the head of scouting. The team’s scouts don’t all speak with one unified voice and individual scouts focus on certain leagues.

Since we didn’t have a 2nd, and considering we took a goalie with our 3rd, I could see Fitz wanting a defenseman. Everybody sort of saw that coming though.
I can't say I know how every prospect drafted this year has done. But in an instant re draft, as ridiculous and unfair as it is to do that lol, I don't get why Muk wouldn't still be a 1st round pick.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Okay, it's early but let's give it a shot.

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Drysdale
5 Sanderson
6 Lundell
7 Jarvis
8 Raymond
9 Holloway
10 Mercer
11 Perfetti
12 Holtz
13 Faber
14 Rossi
15 Schneider

Biggest faller is Quinn -- I think he goes in the 20-25 range if the 2020 draft is held again today. I had him top 10, so I think I may have bet too high, but he's still a very good prospect. Rossi is tough to assess -- his health issues this year were (according to reports) almost fatal, so I'm just glad he's recovering. He's a huge character/hard work ethic kid so I would not be surprised if he jumped back up the rankings next year.

Big jumps for me were Lundell and Holloway -- I'm not counting Jarvis and Mercer because I had them ranked last year around where I would rank them right now. The biggest jump on the board is Brock Faber -- though I had him around #20 overall, the consensus ranked him as a 2nd/3rd rounder. He was just outstanding this year for the University of Minnesota -- one of the top two or three shut-down D in the NCAA as a freshman, which is unheard of. He was also the best D on Team USA's gold medal winning WJC team, and maybe the best defensive D in the entire tournament.

Schneider is the guy I wish we drafted last year...In a redraft I believe he's top 10 after what he has done this year.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
I should add, I’m not upset about the player, and I hope he balls out here. I think it’s just most people feel there were much more sure fire picks available and ones that were less of a gamble. I get why they reached since they liked him, but it’s entirely possible he would’ve been available later when they picked again. But I mean oh well, ain’t shit we can do now except hope the mukman does well.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I should add, I’m not upset about the player, and I hope he balls out here. I think it’s just most people feel there were much more sure fire picks available and ones that were less of a gamble. I get why they reached since they liked him, but it’s entirely possible he would’ve been available later when they picked again. But I mean oh well, ain’t shit we can do now except hope the mukman does well.
That is fair, I belive if you can get your guy you get your guy. Obviously it comes down to how good your scouting department is. I think we have done an outstanding job drafting and Muk played well this year so I personally have no issue with the pick.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I agree, I feel Mukhamadullin was not the highest ranked player on the Devils draft board, but rather the highest ranked defenseman. Personally, I've been on here saying that, in the scenario which played out, I would have drafted Brock Faber, but I was not upset with Mukhamadullin.

I do feel the Devils need a bit more unification between the scouts. I feel the last few picks of the Devils' 2020 draft was taking different guys from different scouting regions (USHS, AJHL, Switzerland) which may have been more "giving every scout a guy" than picking the best available player. I just can't see another reason to take Edwards in the 4th when the next 8 picks saw names go like Villeneuve, Stranges, Farrell, Tullio, Vierling and Chromiak.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I can't say I know how every prospect drafted this year has done. But in an instant re draft, as ridiculous and unfair as it is to do that lol, I don't get why Muk wouldn't still be a 1st round pick.

I think in a re-draft, Mukhamadullin goes around the end of the first round, maybe 10-12 picks after the Devils took him, which is not so bad. You'd have to figure certain names move ahead of him, like Faber, Niemela, Lapierre, Bordeleau, Peterka, Gunler and Mysak.

Reactions: TheDuke93

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Schneider is the guy I wish we drafted last year...In a redraft I believe he's top 10 after what he has done this year.

You can certainly debate Schneider deserves to be ahead of Rossi, and maybe about even with Faber. But I don't think in a re-draft you could say he'd be picked ahead of Holloway or Perfetti, for instance. I'd say the #13-#17 range is about right for him.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I think in a re-draft, Mukhamadullin goes around the end of the first round, maybe 10-12 picks after the Devils took him, which is not so bad. You'd have to figure certain names move ahead of him, like Faber, Niemela, Lapierre, Bordeleau, Peterka, Gunler and Mysak.
Why though, genuinely curious. Is one of the best 18yr old seasons in KHL history by a defensemen not outstanding? I can't actually fathom that many players had an equivalent or better season.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I do feel the Devils need a bit more unification between the scouts. I feel the last few picks of the Devils' 2020 draft was taking different guys from different scouting regions (USHS, AJHL, Switzerland) which may have been more "giving every scout a guy" than picking the best available player. I just can't see another reason to take Edwards in the 4th when the next 8 picks saw names go like Villeneuve, Stranges, Farrell, Tullio, Vierling and Chromiak.
I don’t agree with this. A big part of coming up with the teams draft board is the scouts having debates about players and essentially battling for certain players they really like just as we do at times on here. The scouts don’t need to be unified, they’re lobbying for the players they really believe in. When it’s time to pick the big guys make the final decision using they’re own opinion of the players, what their scouts are telling them and what they are looking for with that pick.

All it would take for the devils to take Edwards is for one scout to really like him and think he’s an underrated player and for Fitz and the others guys running things to like him as well from what they’ve seen and/or trust that scouts opinion on the player and then see the player as a fit for what they want.
Just because the consensus or other people had other players rated above Edwards doesn’t mean the Devils did or that everyone in their scouting department did. What the Devils are looking for is a big factor as well. Maybe the devils thought someone like Stranges was a better player but they were looking for something different and Edwards fit that better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad