Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You could see Detroit taking Hughes 1OA? It’s tough to see that with the foot injury and his youth. I don’t see how a team can wait at least two years for it’s 1OA to show up. Some Devils fans got down on Smith not making the team in 2019 and he was drafted 17th.

Yzerman no doubt has a very long leash but the pressure surrounding picking a 1OA would be particularly hard on Detroit because none of their recent high picks have even done much anything on the team until this season. Larkin was 2014 and Zadina was 2018, that’s a long break.

I very much get the logic, Hughes seems potentially like the better potential partner for Seider and 2022 actually doesn’t have much going on in terms of LHD. Thinking long term, you don’t have to go center 10A if you’re likely to bad next year and they are. But I still think Yzerman would take Power or Beniers 1OA.

The mythology around the Seider pick, “Stevie gives zero f***s about draft value man, he drafts who he wants!”, ignores Yzerman saying he tried to trade down at draft and couldn’t. There’s not much he could do about that if Seider was the guy he really wanted. That’s 6th pick though, it way different when you win the lottery and the general fan expectations can’t be lessened that much by saying there is no typical ready for NHL 1OA. Yzerman can get ask his fanbase to patient but they aren’t going to be patient about everything.

Yes, I think Detroit takes Hughes first overall. Power is a similar-type player to Seider -- who should be a shut-down NHL defender who adds very good but not elite offense. Clarke is a RD, where the two top D in the organization play -- Seider and Hronek. At C, the Wings have a nice top center in Larkin and a couple of very good young kids in Veleno and Rasmussen. At LD the Wings are pretty thin all throughout the organization -- and they also lack a high-end offensive defenseman anywhere in the organization.

Steve Yzerman has done very well in two years in Detroit at both the draft and in trades. Whether or not he wished to trade down for Seider, the fact remains that the pick was vastly criticized when Yzerman made it but now a lot of the critics are eating crow as the pick looks brilliant -- Seider may be the top RD prospect outside the NHL right now, depending on whether you still consider Drysdale a prospect. The Raymond pick last year also looks very good.

Luke Hughes has undeniable upside, especially offensively, and as such has been ranked #1 by more than one reputable bureau/analyst. I don't think Detroit would hesitate to draft him there. I think they may be the only team in the league who would, but again part of my reasoning is that I don't think Yzerman gives a f--k what people think, and that's one of his strengths because he's comprehensive in his scouting and not just going on whim or biased personal preference.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I hate using the size advantage for guys like Mukhamadullin. He's smaller than Matthews and Rantanen. There are also a bunch of non-stars that would have him beat in size as well such as Tom Wilson. Even Bastian is bigger than him. The guys who are going to consistently go into the corners will all be the same if not bigger than him. This isn't true for Power. There are no current NHL forwards bigger than him.
Ya, I dunno, Bratt at times needs to go into the corners, as does Nico, or Kuok, or Boqvist etc.

Also while guys like Matthews may be bigger stronger and in general better in terms of board play, a guy like Shak is going to be bigger stronger and better in terms of board play then a guy like Smith.

So matters of degree, but one would hope Shak would be pretty good in that regard.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I may like Eklund more than Beniers

is that silly?

No, but Beniers will very likely go higher. Their skill sets are probably to be considered quite similar, but Beniers is bigger, faster and more physical. Beniers is universally considered a center at the NHL level, while prognosticators are split as to whether Eklund projects to the LW or C.

But again, it's a wide open draft and rankings have more variety at the top than I can ever remember. Most important is to realize that both Beniers and Eklund are incredibly intelligent and competitive players who also have the requisite skill to drive a top scoring line at the NHL level.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
If each of these prospects hit their absolute ceilings, this is how id draw up my top-6 for what I think the team needs

Power
Edvinsson
Eklund
Hughes
Guenther
Clarke

Beniers is a true center and I dont need a 3C at the top of the draft. Also I dont value handidness much as guys can be moved around (I have a sneaky feeling Ty Smith ends up a RD for us)

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Edvinsson does not have an absolute higher ceiling than Hughes or Clarke.
Perhaps not but Id take a ceiling Edvinsson over a ceiling Clarke and Hughes for his style of play. Edit: also that wasnt a list based on what I think their ceilings are but instead my preference of their styles at their ceilings

a super strong defensive well skating 6'5" dman who can score some is something Id kill for.

He may not score 60 but he can play 26mins a night and not get scored on

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Edvinsson is the most overrated prospect in this draft tbqh. He's just as big a question mark as Carson Lambos is, for me, and Lambos has the higher upside. I group those two together and far away from Power, Hughes and Clarke.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Perhaps not but Id take a ceiling Edvinsson over a ceiling Clarke and Hughes for his style of play. Edit: also that wasnt a list based on what I think their ceilings are but instead my preference of their styles at their ceilings

a super strong defensive well skating 6'5" dman who can score some is something Id kill for.

He may not score 60 but he can play 26mins a night and not get scored on
Two-way defensemen who drive offense, transition the puck and can play defense well are by far the most valuable defensemen in the league. It’s not even close.

The reason Hedman is so admired is that he is a two-way defenseman who can function as shutdown defenseman, partly due to his size.

Edvinsson isn’t a shutdown guy. Size doesn’t automatically make you an adept defensive shutdown defenseman. Look at Tyler Myers, he’s 6’8”, skates, scores some and he has trouble shutting off lights in a room. Not saying Edvinsson is Myers or won’t work out great but height, while an advantage, doesn’t give you magical defensive skills.

Reactions: TheDuke93

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If each of these prospects hit their absolute ceilings, this is how id draw up my top-6 for what I think the team needs

Power
Edvinsson
Eklund
Hughes
Guenther
Clarke

Beniers is a true center and I dont need a 3C at the top of the draft. Also I dont value handidness much as guys can be moved around (I have a sneaky feeling Ty Smith ends up a RD for us)
Just because he is C, doesn't mean he can't be moved to the wing. I personally would not be upset with drafting Berniers.

Reactions: Goomba

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No, but Beniers will very likely go higher. Their skill sets are probably to be considered quite similar, but Beniers is bigger, faster and more physical. Beniers is universally considered a center at the NHL level, while prognosticators are split as to whether Eklund projects to the LW or C.

But again, it's a wide open draft and rankings have more variety at the top than I can ever remember. Most important is to realize that both Beniers and Eklund are incredibly intelligent and competitive players who also have the requisite skill to drive a top scoring line at the NHL level.
I haven’t watched nearly as much as you have plus I am now where near as knowledgeable as you but I found Eklund to have more flash and dash / finesse than Beniers but like you said Beniers has better size and can play a more physical game ?
From a pure scoring aspect of the game who is the most likely to put up points as a forward? All forwards i the draft included . I know it’s impossible to say but best guess . Not who is the best all around player just pure offence . His game may suck defensively and lack in other areas like board work etc. Just pure production and offensive skill and IQ?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
There was a couple mock drafts having the Devils picking the goalie..

upload_2021-5-16_23-12-5.gif

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I take Edvinsson before Hughes.

If NJ doesn't take Hughes, then I could see him slipping down the draft order to around pick 8-10.

Why would you take Edvinsson over Hughes? Not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm just curious to hear your position.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I haven’t watched nearly as much as you have plus I am now where near as knowledgeable as you but I found Eklund to have more flash and dash / finesse than Beniers but like you said Beniers has better size and can play a more physical game ?
From a pure scoring aspect of the game who is the most likely to put up points as a forward? All forwards i the draft included . I know it’s impossible to say but best guess . Not who is the best all around player just pure offence . His game may suck defensively and lack in other areas like board work etc. Just pure production and offensive skill and IQ?

This is a very good question, and a very tough one. This is why scouts get paid good money. It's a tough year to gauge who is the best offensive forward in the draft. I feel my three favorite forwards -- Beniers, Eklund and Guenther -- are more likely to put up consistent seasons in the 60-75 range than they are to be elite scorers. But we're talking about three phenomenal 200-foot players who make your team better in every aspect of the game.

If I had to bet who had the most "pure scoring upside", I would say Kent Johnson, followed closely by Isak Rosen and Fabian Lysell.

Reactions: nugg

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
May I ask why? What exactly does Edvinsson offer, both now and in the future, over what Hughes offers?
I get Hedman vibes watching Edvinsson. If he puts it together offensively, he's going to be a stud.

Right now, i would favor a defenseman who is defensively solid but has scope to improve offensively over a defenseman that offensively is great but needs more work defensively.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Defense?

I'm not sure how good defender Hughes is going to be. Edvinsson has his problems, but on the other hand he can defend. Couple examples.
Yes, but you can find defensive defenseman later. Prime example is the man that STI mentions constantly in Stanislav Svozil. He's as shut down as shut down gets in this class.

If I'm drafting a defenseman in the area we're drafting, I'm shooting upside through the roof and Power, Clarke and Hughes massively trump Edvinsson there. That's my sole issue with Edvinsson. He's good but his upside isn't top 5 in a class (overall) so I have no desire to take him within the first 6 picks in this one.

Reactions: nugg

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I get Hedman vibes watching Edvinsson. If he puts it together offensively, he's going to be a stud.

Right now, i would favor a defenseman who is defensively solid but has scope to improve offensively over a defenseman that offensively is great but needs more work defensively.
Not in the top 6 picks, I'm not taking that approach. You shoot the moon in that draft range and figure it out later. Especially in the modern NHL.

And there's really nothing in Edvinsson's game that says he's a can't miss defensive prospect. He has questions in his own zone nearly as much as Luke.

Keep in mind, I'm team Clarke here as he's the most complete defenseman in this class, without a doubt. So I'm not pumping Hughes up solely for his name. I just have my issues with Edvinsson and I feel the team that takes Lambos later is going to get a very similar return as the team that overdrafts Edvinsson.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
My top 6 (for the Devils) is rather easily Clarke, Power, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, Eklund. I am a HUGE fan of Kent Johnson but he's kind of redundant with what we already have in Hughes and Bratt in our top 6. Of course, if we take Kent, I'll be whoopin' and hollerin' for weeks because he's a supreme talent and has high scoring upside but I'd rather cash in and take a more precise fit with what we have planned.

It's late, and I'm tired, but that's where I stand. I have zero desire to even consider a Simon Edvinsson pick because that would be so off the board for me I'd probably be more pissed than I was when we took Holtz last year. I wasn't being fair to Holtz then so I'd eventually talk myself into Edvinsson but he's not ideal whatsoever. Not when we took someone that offers similar upside last year in Mookie.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Yes, but you can find defensive defenseman later. Prime example is the man that STI mentions constantly in Stanislav Svozil. He's as shut down as shut down gets in this class.

If I'm drafting a defenseman in the area we're drafting, I'm shooting upside through the roof and Power, Clarke and Hughes massively trump Edvinsson there. That's my sole issue with Edvinsson. He's good but his upside isn't top 5 in a class (overall) so I have no desire to take him within the first 6 picks in this one.
I prefer Hughes, but I also wanted to point out some qualities why Edvindsson might be a better player in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad