Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think you always take someone like Lambos with a 2nd first round pick if possible. Svozil and Edvinsson would be great picks as well but hypothetically if all there were to be available dare to be great.

There's little way Lambos makes it to the second round. Players with polarizing disparity are almost always drafted on the early side of their rankings. Though there will certainly be teams ranking Lambos out of the 1st round and possibly putting Lambos on their "do not draft" lists, Lambos' tremendous upside will likely have him around the top 10 for more than a few teams.

Edvinsson is likely in the top 10 rankings for at least half the NHL teams, and maybe in the top 3 or 4 for teams like Anaheim and Ottawa which traditionally like players of his ilk. He will be picked in the top 10. Svozil is the one of the three who could slip -- he's not a sexy player, just a solid, smart and consistent one. I expect him to go in the #20-#30 range, but he conceivably could fall to the 2nd round.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There's little way Lambos makes it to the second round. Players with polarizing disparity are almost always drafted on the early side of their rankings. Though there will certainly be teams ranking Lambos out of the 1st round and possibly putting Lambos on their "do not draft" lists, Lambos' tremendous upside will likely have him around the top 10 for more than a few teams.

Edvinsson is likely in the top 10 rankings for at least half the NHL teams, and maybe in the top 3 or 4 for teams like Anaheim and Ottawa which traditionally like players of his ilk. He will be picked in the top 10. Svozil is the one of the three who could slip -- he's not a sexy player, just a solid, smart and consistent one. I expect him to go in the #20-#30 range, but he conceivably could fall to the 2nd round.
I think he said 2nd first rounder (i.e. the Islander's pick), not our 2nd round pick.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think you always take someone like Lambos with a 2nd first round pick if possible. Svozil and Edvinsson would be great picks as well but hypothetically if all there were to be available dare to be great.

It really depends on who's available but I think there's going to be other players I like more and wouldn't pick Lambos.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

I was saying with our second 1st round pick (Islanders pick) and obviously it is extremely unlikely that were to ever happen. Speaking purely that if that hypothetical were to present itself I am going with the home run swing when having two 1sts always.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
If Lambos is OTB at the Isles pick, we need to run to the podium. You can't bitch about not having high end defensemen and then not be willing to take one at the Isles pick.

I know it feels like I'm banging the same drum over and over but Lambos isn't someone that should ever truly be available at that type of selection. He's still, for me, firmly a top 12-15 player in this class.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dobber Prospects: A potential minute-eating two-way defender at the NHL level. An intriguing combination of speed, strength, and skill on the backend with top-pair upside.

LWOS: Lambos excellent skating ability helps him to play a strong two-way game. He has a great first step and excellent acceleration reaching top speed in just a few strides. His top-end speed is very good and allows him to carry the puck past forecheckers and out of the defensive zone. This strong speed is also true of his backwards skating. Lambos has very good agility and edgework. This helps him to maintain good gap control defensively and to walk the line laterally in the offensive zone. His pivots are crisp which help him to transition from offence to defence and vice-versa. Lambos has good lower body strength. He is strong on the puck and capable of winning battles along the boards and in front of the net.

Steve Kournianos: Lambos possesses excellent mobility and quickness for a defenseman with a powerful, sturdy frame. He isn’t a consistent end-to-end rusher like most high-end defense prospects but eluding or out-pacing forecheck pressure is one of Lambos’s major strengths. His movements are incredibly efficient, especially when forecheckers try to fix him into a tough situation. Upon retrievals, Lambos will peel back multiple times, using his edges and balance (and quick shoulder checks) to keep the puck away from the side of the opponent’s blade. His turns are both sharp and rapid, but Lambos drops a quick first step when he decides to head north and accelerate with a long, powerful stride.

McKeen's: First, let's discuss the positives as there are many of them. Lambos is a smooth skating defenseman with quick feet, very good mobility and strong edges. He has a powerful stride and can skate with the puck out of trouble. Along the offensive blueline he shows shifty and strong footwork. He can jump into the play on the ice and possesses the speed to recover in time. I wouldn't call his skating excellent, but it is definitely an area of strength.

SmahtScouting: If we focus on his lateral movements for a brief second, one of the qualities that I am fond of is Lambos’ “happy-feet”. For those who are unaware of what I mean by “happy-feet”, it is Josh Tessler lingo for a defenseman who deploys a rapid stride that allows him to go from side to side at a quick pace. With Lambos’ happy-feet, he can quickly skate along the blue line and find teammates to pass to even in traffic. Lambos can use his speed to dodge traffic, find an open lane, pass the puck or take a shot.

Now again, no one is saying that Carson Lambos skates like Luke Hughes -- he doesn't. But his skating is -- without any doubt -- a strength, and a reason why you can project his upside as huge, not why you wouldn't. When combined with a tremendous shot, terrific size and strength, a fantastic set of hands and the ability to make high-end passes, you get "upside". The question is whether his poor draft-eligible season and oft-questioned compete/decision-making create an untenable risk factor. This is why I've slotted Lambos at #19 overall, rather than inside my top 10. But to me -- and to most of the people I've read assessing Lambos -- upside is the reason you draft him.

I'll leave you with a link to Steve Kournianos prospect profile on Carson Lambos. Kournianos currently ranks Lambos #4 overall, and his prospect profiles are free so it's an easy link to give:

2021 Draft Profile: LHD Carson Lambos - The Draft Analyst

Lambos sounds like the kid you really have to invest the time in a background check and multiple interviews. Was he hurt most of the season? Was he off his game going overseas? Does he think he needs to improve the areas a team might want him to work on? Does he love hockey enough to put up with the drudge of practice and workouts? Like Hendrix Lapierre last draft there is always a polarizing prospect that more homework about off ice issues and whoever does their research will have an advantage.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Lambos sounds like the kid you really have to invest the time in a background check and multiple interviews. Was he hurt most of the season? Was he off his game going overseas? Does he think he needs to improve the areas a team might want him to work on? Does he love hockey enough to put up with the drudge of practice and workouts? Like Hendrix Lapierre last draft there is always a polarizing prospect that more homework about off ice issues and whoever does their research will have an advantage.

I haven't heard anything particularly indicting about Lambos personality-wise, but his season-ending injury has been a bit shrouded in uncertainty.

So, I agree -- doing the homework is really necessary on this young talent. But if he's available at #20 or #21 and there is no glaring human or injury issue, I think he would be a very good pick. His upside is in the same ballpark as the Big 3 D. But -- as I keep saying -- it is indeed terrifying to take a kid in the first round who actually showed signs of regression from his 16 to his 17 year old season.

Reactions: Figgie and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I haven't heard anything particularly indicting about Lambos personality-wise, but his season-ending injury has been a bit shrouded in uncertainty.

So, I agree -- doing the homework is really necessary on this young talent. But if he's available at #20 or #21 and there is no glaring human or injury issue, I think he would be a very good pick. His upside is in the same ballpark as the Big 3 D. But -- as I keep saying -- it is indeed terrifying to take a kid in the first round who actually showed signs of regression from his 16 to his 17 year old season.

I think that is where the homework comes in. If he was playing hurt and eventually the injuries just go the best of him it's understandable and he will bounce back most likely. Look at a Connor Timmins. He's managed to claw his way to the NHL on one of the league's best defenses having to overcome significant TBI. That couldn't have been easy. In my view, you speak to Lambos, his coach, a few teammates, and get all his medical records and speak to a couple of his most prominent doctors and see if the injuries explain any fall off. If so, I'd say go for it. You have to take calculated risks or just get lucky to hit home runs in the draft beyond the top few picks. I'm sure that Lapierre looks like a good pick in retrospect. Barzal sort of fit into this category also if I recall.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think that is where the homework comes in. If he was playing hurt and eventually the injuries just go the best of him it's understandable and he will bounce back most likely. Look at a Connor Timmins. He's managed to claw his way to the NHL on one of the league's best defenses having to overcome significant TBI. That couldn't have been easy. In my view, you speak to Lambos, his coach, a few teammates, and get all his medical records and speak to a couple of his most prominent doctors and see if the injuries explain any fall off. If so, I'd say go for it. You have to take calculated risks or just get lucky to hit home runs in the draft beyond the top few picks. I'm sure that Lapierre looks like a good pick in retrospect. Barzal sort of fit into this category also if I recall.

Hendrix Lapierre has enjoyed a very good season -- 2nd best player on Chicoutimi after only Dawson Mercer. I'd say in a 2020 re-draft, he'd probably go around the same spot he went last year, maybe two spots higher because there are a couple guys ahead of him who would drop a bit (Chinakhov, Mukhamadullin).

Defensemen are different, of course. Timmins has overcome quite a lot, which says a ton about him as a player and a young man. Hopefully, Lambos will achieve the same, and we're talking about a kid with significant upside.

Reactions: My3Sons

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Hendrix Lapierre has enjoyed a very good season -- 2nd best player on Chicoutimi after only Dawson Mercer. I'd say in a 2020 re-draft, he'd probably go around the same spot he went last year, maybe two spots higher because there are a couple guys ahead of him who would drop a bit (Chinakhov, Mukhamadullin).

Defensemen are different, of course. Timmins has overcome quite a lot, which says a ton about him as a player and a young man. Hopefully, Lambos will achieve the same, and we're talking about a kid with significant upside.

I’m curious where you’d rank Mercer and Holtz if there was a 2020 redraft today.

Based on what I’m reading, I would be elated if the Devils could land Othmann or Rosen at 20. If they are both off the board, I would support a swing for the fences pick at 20 in Lambos but...didn’t we just do that last year on D with Muk?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’m curious where you’d rank Mercer and Holtz if there was a 2020 redraft today.

Based on what I’m reading, I would be elated if the Devils could land Othmann or Rosen at 20. If they are both off the board, I would support a swing for the fences pick at 20 in Lambos but...didn’t we just do that last year on D with Muk?

Okay, it's early but let's give it a shot.

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Drysdale
5 Sanderson
6 Lundell
7 Jarvis
8 Raymond
9 Holloway
10 Mercer
11 Perfetti
12 Holtz
13 Faber
14 Rossi
15 Schneider

Biggest faller is Quinn -- I think he goes in the 20-25 range if the 2020 draft is held again today. I had him top 10, so I think I may have bet too high, but he's still a very good prospect. Rossi is tough to assess -- his health issues this year were (according to reports) almost fatal, so I'm just glad he's recovering. He's a huge character/hard work ethic kid so I would not be surprised if he jumped back up the rankings next year.

Big jumps for me were Lundell and Holloway -- I'm not counting Jarvis and Mercer because I had them ranked last year around where I would rank them right now. The biggest jump on the board is Brock Faber -- though I had him around #20 overall, the consensus ranked him as a 2nd/3rd rounder. He was just outstanding this year for the University of Minnesota -- one of the top two or three shut-down D in the NCAA as a freshman, which is unheard of. He was also the best D on Team USA's gold medal winning WJC team, and maybe the best defensive D in the entire tournament.

Reactions: majormajor

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Surprised you wouldn't have Rossi fall back more.

It's obviously really unfortunate what happened to him, but his health situation and losing an entire year of development is concerning.

Have to root for the kid, but objectively he has some major hurdles to overcome now.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Surprised you wouldn't have Rossi fall back more.

It's obviously really unfortunate what happened to him, but his health situation and losing an entire year of development is concerning.

Have to root for the kid, but objectively he has some major hurdles to overcome now.

I'm giving Rossi the benefit of the doubt. I've seen a ton of interviews with him, and he's just a really bright and likable kid. He's the kind of human being I'm not afraid to bet on beating the odds.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Okay, it's early but let's give it a shot.

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Drysdale
5 Sanderson
6 Lundell
7 Jarvis
8 Raymond
9 Holloway
10 Mercer
11 Perfetti
12 Holtz
13 Faber
14 Rossi
15 Schneider

a little concerning. i wonder if he's nhl-ready by next season

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It seems that Power is just there to sit on the bench and watch the game. Over 15 minutes into the first and him and Schneider haven’t gotten a shift yet.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Power just got his first shift and almost scored. Schneider then had a bad turnover so they probably won’t get another shift for a while

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Wast finally getting around to watching some räty highlights and I gotta say I like what I see. Looks like a shiftier/faster version of sharangovich. Would be pretty content to have him fall in our lap with the isles pick. Of course he won’t but still. Plz give.

I'm hoping one of him or Lysell manage to slip to that Isles pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad