Draft 2021 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If you have the time, could you post your top 5 Centers in the Draft you think the Rangers would be looking at if they were to select one in that 15 range?

I know this is a 3-4 years out type pick but can you see them trading the 1st rounder for a player that can help immediately? What would you say the odds of trading or selecting this years 1st rounder are?

Centers they have looked at (with some being completely out of range):

Four centers potentially in play at 15:
Buldoc
Raty
Pinelli
Svechkov

Two centers outside the first round to at least consider if the Rangers end up with a second round pick, or if someone slides to third:
Roy
Helenius

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Centers they have looked at (with some being completely out of range):

Four centers potentially in play at 15:
Buldoc
Raty
Pinelli
Svechkov

Two centers outside the first round to at least consider if the Rangers end up with a second round pick, or if someone slides to third:
Roy
Helenius

I like Roy, he's got the vision and the skills to be a pivot at the top level, I think he's gonna take awhile to season, though that might be ok for a team like ours.

What about Zach Dean, bit of an underwhelming season but the skills and physical play are hard to come by.

Also, Ty Gallagher, what are your thoughts?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Roy, he's got the vision and the skills to be a pivot at the top level, I think he's gonna take awhile to season, though that might be ok for a team like ours.

What about Zach Dean, bit of an underwhelming season but the skills and physical play are hard to come by.

Also, Ty Gallagher, what are your thoughts?

Truth be told, quite a few of the Q kids underwhelmed this season.

Zach Dean is one of those kids who seems like he should be more than he is. He's a very good skater and stickhandler who knows where to be on the ice. But he hasn't shown himself to be overly creative with the puck. He tends to keep things conservative and I can't quite tell at this point if it's that he doesn't quite have the confidence and experience to generate more offense with his talents, or if he genuinely doesn't quite have the processing power to match the physical attributes. I feel like he's a probably a pick you make in the late first or early second in the hopes that it comes together.

Roy is a kid who came in with high expectations, but hasn't quite put it together either. He's kind of the opposite of Dean in the sense that he has the vision, he has the processing power, he gets the offensive side of things, but he doesn't have the athletic ability of Dean. But like Dean, the result has been...lacking compared to what it feels like it should be.

Reactions: Bluenote13

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Another one for the night:

15. C Cole Sillinger (Sioux Falls Stampede-USHL)
64. LD Aidan Hreschuk (US NTDP)
79. C Jayden Grubbe (Red Deer Rebels- WHL)
99. C Josh Doan (Chicago Steel- USHL)
105. C/LW Lorenzo Canonica (Shawinigan Cataractes- QMJHL)
111. LW Justin Janicke (US NTDP)
143. LW Jalen Luypen (Edmonton Oil Kings- WHL)
175. LD Tyson Hinds (Rimouski Oceanic- QMJHL)
207. C Brody Lamb (Dodge County Wildcats- USHS)

Luypen and Doan only '02s of the group

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Traded down to pick up a second and then traded to move up in the second.

It looks heavier on centers than it really is. Two of those centers project as a LW and RW.

I went with the mindset of trying to find support players who can cycle in around core players at a reasonable cost, while also staying focused on BPA for the respective draft slot.

upload_2021-4-29_23-43-48.png

upload_2021-4-29_23-44-15.png

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Any info on Samu Salminen? Tall guy with some potential skating issues, but I wonder how much of that might be related to growth and just getting used to being bigger. Might be a really good option if they can get a 2nd or if he slides into the 3rd? Or I could be totally off considering I am just going off of a couple of reports.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Any better Will Cuylle’s one this draft? A Tom Wilson type? We should be targeting a more mature version of that player in a trade but happy to start balancing the prospect pool with some edge at this point.

agreed. tired of this soft team that the GM built. he did build the Bruins. he did draft guys like Lucic and Marchand. any Marchands in this draft? he is a spunky player that Rangers and all other teams can use. any Sean Avery types. any power forward types like Landeskog with skill, not the no skilled goons like the Tanner Glass that can be found as UFA or UDFA??

Reactions: dumpin

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
My apologies everyone, I've been away for some time. I'll make a post on some prospects soon, just need to find the time to sit down and watch them in length.

In due time folks...

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Also, keep an eye on Danila Klimovich on Belarus. Making a case to be a riser!!

Mason McTavish is also killing it and, believe it or not, could be another potential center in the NHL around where NYR pick!!

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think both klimovich & Mctavish are Wingers at the Pro level. Mctavish played Wing in the Swiss league and looked good for a guy his age.

Klimovich thrives in open ice situations but I've yet to see him handle the traffic as well. Big bodied, skilled and fast, not a bad project pick.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Messed with draftsim and traded back, picked up Lambos at 18 and with the 50th pick Pinelli dropped allllllll the way down. Sureeee. Stopped right there :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not just Doan’s but Martin St. Louis’ son Ryan plays for the USNTDP program and I think he’s going to Northeastern where we also have Riley Hughes. Martin was a player who wasn’t drafted and was a college superstar at Vermont. Ryan is small like his father but it also reminds Cliff/Ty Ronning.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I like both Doan and MSL's kids, seems like good mid round picks, more bullish on Doans kid but admittedly haven't seen much of St. Louis.

Off topic - finally getting to see 16 yr old phenom Matvei Michkov highlights from the U18s. Yeah, this kid looks to be everything they say he is. 2023 draft, better hope no one in our division wins the lottery that year.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not just Doan’s but Martin St. Louis’ son Ryan plays for the USNTDP program and I think he’s going to Northeastern where we also have Riley Hughes. Martin was a player who wasn’t drafted and was a college superstar at Vermont. Ryan is small like his father but it also reminds Cliff/Ty Ronning.

ryan is listed at 5'10 so he's big compared to his dad who was probably closer to 5'6 lol

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I like both Doan and MSL's kids, seems like good mid round picks, more bullish on Doans kid but admittedly haven't seen much of St. Louis.

Off topic - finally getting to see 16 yr old phenom Matvei Michkov highlights from the U18s. Yeah, this kid looks to be everything they say he is. 2023 draft, better hope no one in our division wins the lottery that year.
It will happen. Guarantee the Pens end up with one of Wright, Bedard, or Michkov.

Really hope we’re not one of those teams that happened to suck at the wrong time. Seriously doubt I’ll see the Rangers pick 1OA again in my lifetime.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Tried one more draftsim- this time trying to trade down as much as possible. I'm woefully ignorant of this year's draft compared to previous years, so a fair amount of picks are players I have heard Edge or Amazing Kreiderman mention if they were still available. Last pick I did what I always do - pick the highest ranked G left on the board.

29 - Francesco Pinelli - C
30 - Nikita Chibrikov - RW
50 - Joshua Roy - C
64 - Conner Roulette - LW
79 - Shai Buium - LD
99 - Martin Rysavy - LW
102 Jake Martin - RD
105 Robert Orr - C
111 - Josh Doan - C
142 - Jack Beck - LW
143 - Lucas Forsell - LW
198 - Charles-Alexis Legault - RD