NFL: 2021 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Eagles cut Jamie Newman and it's still more than a month before camp. Whoever was advising the guy led him down the wrong path.

For those who don't remember, this was the QB who transferred from Wake Forest to Georgia, then opted out, then declared, and then had the benefit of the Senior Bowl. And wasn't drafted. I'm sure he'll still be at camp somewhere though, but he was the Eagles 3rd QB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Eagles cut Jamie Newman and it's still more than a month before camp. Whoever was advising the guy led him down the wrong path.

For those who don't remember, this was the QB who transferred from Wake Forest to Georgia, then opted out, then declared, and then had the benefit of the Senior Bowl. And wasn't drafted. I'm sure he'll still be at camp somewhere though, but he was the Eagles 3rd QB.
Didn’t follow him i college because he played a wake, but that’s not a program known for developing QBs. Goes to Georgia which has had a good run of QBs either got drafted or played very well at the ncaa level.
JT Daniels also transferred in but he was coming off an acl tear in week 1 of the 2019 season.
Stetson Bennett III ended up the starter for the few weeks.

so Newman would have had a shot to start at Georgia.

with QBs of the investment in you is not much you need to impress early of you are done.

guys like Jacob Eason who went in round 4 to Indy is going to sit behind Wentz now and also has to beat out recently drafted beuchler from Texas.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Trevor Lawrence stands to lose the first regular season game of his entire football career this season unless the Jags go 17-0.

Insane he has only lost 2 football games across 6 seasons so far, even if they came at lower levels.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Means nothing. I would like to point out that Patrick Mahomes had an absolutely atrocious day one minicamp in his first full year as a starter. He would go on to throw 50 TDs and win league MVP.

Kid's learning his limits and there's no better place to do it, especially with the brutal conditions. This has absolutely no bearing on if he's successful or not.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Players will be 99% vaccinated by the end of camp. And anyone who is not like a star player and is unvaccinated won’t make it to the end of camp

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Still years from possible reality but Bears are looking to get out of SF when lease expires and since development of Chicago lakefront is forbidden for most part they are looking again to suburbs

Lease to play at Soldier Field expires in 2033

Bears wanted to move before the idiotic spaceship renovation happened (That ruined a landmark) and it seems they deem Soldier Field as not viable in longrun despite the spaceship

Honestly this move would hurt Southside/South Burb fans who go to games alot given how much they would need to travel to games and fact it would end Soldier Field direct trains to Bear games for many fans also would make going to Bear games difficult for West Suburb/Westside fans

Only people this would benefit would be Northside fans and North Suburb fans who will have stadium placed in Arlington Heights within easy commutes

Could open door for the long talked about 2nd NFL team back to Chicago since Bears will make themselves largely unavailable to large segments of fans

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight
Sep 19, 2008

iu

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
NFL teams are smarter than that
But their players are not. I'm sure some will try. I doubt we'll ever hear about it though. Especially if it's a star player, their team is probably willing to help them out with lying, or they'll let the players know they know it's fake and not turn them in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why? Half the league play in the suburbs.
I don't like suburban stadiums, but the land required to build an NFL stadium close to the center of a city or downtown core is almost limited to cities that are trying to re-develop their downtown core (Cleveland and Baltimore being notable examples). Having gone to a fair amount of Buffalo and Cleveland games, I prefer the Cleveland experience due to the fact I can check into a good hotel, hit the downtown the night before by walking, wake up the next day, walk to a convenience store, and hit the tailgate. Whereas Buffalo, you need the designated driver, need to plan your car stops from the hotel or motel that is off of I-90 or drive in through a full-scale traffic jam from Allentown or Downtown Buffalo. This is obviously from the perspective of a visitor and not a local. Cities that have dense and populated downtown cores, unless there is a large patch of city-owned land for redevelopment are almost impossible to buy and build on financially. So cities that build downtown are trying to get people from the suburbs to come in, whereas cities, where a ton of wealth resides in the city (such as NYC, Boston, etc) have to build theirs a significant distance from the core.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
meh. its a personal choice. I dont know why people are so stuck on what others choose to do with their body and life. (before i get railed on by the crazy pro vax people I have my first shot and going for my second early july)
It’s a respiratory virus so if he wants to take his chances and thus deal with the restrictions that’s his choice. This isn’t one of the mandated immunization shots that kids get.

Kind of like the shots that are recommended if you travel to certain parts of Asia. Better if you get them but up to you to deal with the consequences if you don’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad