Injury Report: 2021 Injury Thread - Part II

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
It's insane how deep the Avs will be if and when O'Connor and Johnson return.

Landeskog --- Mackinnon --- Rantanen
Burakovsky ----- Kadri ------- Donskoi
Nichuskin ------- Jost --------- Saad
O'Connor ---- Bellemare ------ Compher
(Newhook, Soderberg, Ranta, O'Brien)

Toews --- Makar
Girard -- Graves
Byram -- Johnson
(Nemeth, Timmins, MacDonald)
the depth for both forwards and defense is jus delicious!

Reactions: flyfysher

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’d take Ranta out when LOC is ready to go. Ranta was fine, but it’s win now time and LOC is the better option.

As for EJ, god I’d love to see him come back at some point in the playoffs. It’s a pretty easy choice to take out Nemeth for him.
If we are talking about the 4th line, wouldn't it make more sense to take Newhook out?

Reactions: AvsMakaw8

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If we are talking about the 4th line, wouldn't it make more sense to take Newhook out?

Personally I noticed Newhook quite a bit last game. He definitely helps the transition game.

Ranta I didn’t notice, sans the play where he took 16 cross-checks to the back. I did love his toughness there though :laugh:

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Personally I noticed Newhook quite a bit last game. He definitely helps the transition game.

Ranta I didn’t notice, sans the play where he took 16 cross-checks to the back. I did love his toughness there though :laugh:
Agree. I believe LOC brings the toughness and speed you need on the line. Newhook has the skill to help offensively on the line but in the playoffs so far I feel I have noticed his defense more right now.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Where does Newhook go? Nacho duty? I think not. But that means JTC isn't centering the 2nd line. I love LOC but I hate the idea of taking Ranta out. I want to see what he can do.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Where does Newhook go? Nacho duty? I think not. But that means JTC isn't centering the 2nd line. I love LOC but I hate the idea of taking Ranta out. I want to see what he can do.
Bednar seems to be much more comfortable playing Compher at C than he is with playing Newhook, but if O'Connor comes back I'd like to see this lineup:

Landeskog --- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------- Jost -------- Saad
Burakovsky --- Newhook --- Donskoi
O'Connor ----- Bellemare --- Compher

The 3rd line might need to be sheltered a little bit in matchups, but that should be feasible given that the top line can take on anyone and since the Jost line can play postive possession hockey against most lines too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yeah given his limited role and lack of experience in the NHL, this has been one of Newhook's main contributions.

His speed, puck handling, and passing have helped the team transition through the neutral zone during some of those 50/50 type of scenarios.

If you're execution the details of the game well in that area, it doesn't matter that you're not scoring, Bednar will be happy with your performance and likely keep you in the lineup.

Move your feet, go north, be sure handed with your puck decisions, pressure puck carriers, and back check hard. That's what he wants and Newhook's been doing those things fairly well so far.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Bednar seems to be much more comfortable playing Compher at C than he is with playing Newhook, but if O'Connor comes back I'd like to see this lineup:

The 3rd line might need to be sheltered a little bit in matchups, but that should be feasible given that the top line can take on anyone and since the Jost line can play postive possession hockey against most lines too.

Totally agree. Keep Jost with Nichuskin and Saad.

From a team perspective, they're better off keeping Compher in but I'm more interested in seeing what Ranta can do.

I'd be a little surprised if JB instantly inserted LOC into the lineup but I've no idea how full his recovery was. I'd expect JB to kinda ease him like I would EJ.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

From a team perspective, they're better off keeping Compher in but I'm more interested in seeing what Ranta can do.

I'd be a little surprised if JB instantly inserted LOC into the lineup but I've no idea how full his recovery was. I'd expect JB to kinda ease him like I would EJ.
If O'Connor is already good to go then I expect Bednar to give Ranta another game at home - where Bednar can control the matchups more in order to shelter him a bit, but then insert O'Connor into the lineup for game 3 when it will be harder to shelter Ranta and Newhook.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

I think if you move Newhook to C you have to put Nuke beside him. Nuke makes everyone's life so much easier.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018

LOC has earned it. When he’s ready he’ll play. He’s a spark .
As for EJ , I must be negative Nancy with the guy cause if he shys away from any physical contact in the games he won’t add much to what is already there. Love the guy and I hope he recovers and proves me wrong.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really don't know about LOC. I love the guy and I think he should be an everyday NHLer but we saw this season he's no guarantee to play with Bednar and the team is healthy.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
LOC has earned it. When he’s ready he’ll play. He’s a spark .
As for EJ , I must be negative Nancy with the guy cause if he shys away from any physical contact in the games he won’t add much to what is already there. Love the guy and I hope he recovers and proves me wrong.

Shying away from contact doesn't seem to be in EJs DNA.
I don't know that Bedsy will play him unless he's forced to. By forced to, I mean injuries or because him coming back could be a spark if the team gets a ways off track.

I dunno, there's still such a long way to go. We could love Kadri and dislike Saad, Jost, or anyone by the time this is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad