WC: 2021 Germany Roster Talk

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
E1-mQi0WYAMaPc2

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I see Edmonton is down 0-2 in the series, is there any chance Draisaitl joins if they get swept ?

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
I see Edmonton is down 0-2 in the series, is there any chance Draisaitl joins if they get swept ?

adding Draisaitl, Kahun or Sturm would be a nice boost and they could all be available from Tuesday onwards. I don’t think that they will want to jump through all the hoops getting there this year to be honest. Couldn’t blame them.

Reactions: Kleefeld

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
You have 6 days of quarantine, so if someone looses the series on Tuesday, they are maybe in Latvia on Thursday. So they could play the last game and the quarters.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Hehe, I was thinking that what we need to happen is for the Oilers to bonk out of the playoffs again so that Draisaitl can go on his annual mad dash across the Atlantic to join the team for like two games. Probably not going to happen this year what with the quarantine protocol.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
So nice the boost would be for additional NHL help i am very happy with the current team an could see them upsetting some big Teams as well.
I do not see anyone coming over for help. For the Olympics yes please we need their presence, not for a couple of games.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
I do not see anyone coming over for help. For the Olympics yes please we need their presence, not for a couple of games.

Sure its questionable if anyone comes over. However, if there is a chance that Draisaitl could join the team, it has to be done.
The chance that we win a medal at OG even with Draisaitl is close to zero. At this WC i see a realistic chance after watching some games. That could be another big boost for hockey.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Then again, it's less of a commitment to join the team at this point since they'd be there mostly for the elimination round. Germany has also done so well thus far that the NHLers would likely be even more motivated to join.

Draisaitl would be a huge addition.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Then again, it's less of a commitment to join the team at this point since they'd be there mostly for the elimination round. Germany has also done so well thus far that the NHLers would likely be even more motivated to join.

Draisaitl would be a huge addition.

If he joins, no reason for Sturm and Kahun not to join as well.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
With the amount of hockey he has to play I really don't think so.

I get your arugment and yes in a normal tournament when Germany are not even gold favorites he would not come this late. But, this tournament is different, Germany have a serious chance of taking a medal and even gold, why would he or any german wanna miss that chance? He would probaly swim to Latvia if he had to.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If Drai is injured, he won't join of course. If not, though, it's a good chance for him to help Germany to win something at last and push German hockey even further to the top.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Would be amazing to get Kahun and Draisaitl, that would obviously help a lot.

So its 7 days quarantine in total?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Yesterday they said 6 days.

But i don't know.
The group we have is one unit.
bringing in players could upset that.

I mean I totally get your point and that my be a concern with Kahun, but Draisaitl would give the guys a huge boost, especially because he is also friends with some of them already and knows all of them. It's not like its a random character coming in

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's two days of full quarantine on your room and then 3 days with your team-bubble. On the 6th day you could play.

I guess he could be here earliest on Thursday. He must arrive on Saturday to be able to play the quarters.

What you shouldn't forget is that it is a risk. If he contracted somehow Covid and gets added to the team-bubble it could result in not being able to play further games.

Moses2020

Dec 16, 2020
Drai will not join the team:
National coach Toni Söderholm and sports director Christian Künast were also in contact with Leon Draisaitl. The decision was made together to forego the 25-year-old top actor's journey under the given circumstances, which would not have been possible as quickly as with Dominik Kahun.

DEB President Franz Reindl: “Dominik Kahun will give our national team, which caused an ice hockey euphoria at the start of the tournament with outstanding and inspiring performances, even more depth and speed in a few days. I am sorry for Leon Draisaitl that he cannot be there this time, we fully understand that. "

National coach Toni Söderholm: “Dominik has signaled that he really wants to come to the World Cup. With his speed, his technical skills and the NHL experience, he can once again give our game a special element. That he can get on the plane so quickly was the main reason. With Leon the circumstances were different and a departure was not possible immediately. So we decided together that he would not go to Latvia. He thanked us for our interest and wishes the team a lot of success. "

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Fair enough, I think Kahun is already a good addition and more than what we’ve hoped for (which was 0 additions)

Also Kahun sat the last couple of games, and overall played way less than Draisaitl, so he should not be as tired.
I am actually glad that Drai does not play anymore games with what would likely be lots of minutes. He should get some rest, and then once again work hard in the off season to keep improving himself.

Kahun can also be a difference maker for this team and I am glad he will join the team. It seems he really wants to be there, whereas with Draisaitl I have the feeling that under these circumstances, he would have done it more out of a sense of duty, and I have no doubt that he will always be willing to play for Germany if he has the opportunity, and I'll always want him to, but in this case I have absolutely no problem with him staying in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad