WC: 2021 Germany Roster Talk

RAlfie35

Apr 8, 2019
I didn't see a Germany thread started so I thought I would start one. Will probably know more about the roster once the DEL Playoffs have completed but here's a quick list of possible players:

Goaltenders
Thomas Greiss - Detroit Red Wings
Felix Bruckmann - Adler Mannheim
Mathias Niederberger - Eisbaren Berlin

Defence
Korbinian Holzer - Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg
Leon Gawanke (if he doesn't go to Winnipeg for NHL Playoffs) - Rogle BK
Marco Nowak - Dusseldorfer EG
Moritz Sieder (Really interested in seeing him play if he does) - Rogle BK
Yannic Seidenberg - EHC Red Bull Munchen
Jonas Muller - Eisbaren Berlin
Moritz Muller - Kolner Haie

Forwards
Tobias Rieder (Not sure about him....NHL UFA) - Buffalo Sabres
Tim Stutzle - Ottawa Senators
Matthias Plachta - Adler Mannheim
Yasin Ehliz - EHC Red Bull Munchen
Patrick Hager - EHC Red Bull Munchen
Lean Bergmann - San Jose Barracuda
Parker Tuomie - Eisbaren Berlin
Markus Eisenschmid - Adler Mannheim
Marc Michaelis - Vancouver Canucks
Lukas Reichel - Eisbaren Berlin
John-Jason Peterka - EHC Red Bull Munchen
Marcel Noebels - Eisbaren Berlin
Frederik Tiffels - Kolner Haie
Andreas Eder - Straubing Tigers

Hopefully we can keep adding to this list and anyone with better insights can provide them...

krishiigonzalez

Jun 22, 2019
Berlin
What about Pföderl? He is the best Berlin player after Nöbels by far.

Edit: I dont think there will be NA-Players this year.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
What about Pföderl? He is the best Berlin player after Nöbels by far.

Edit: I dont think there will be NA-Players this year.
I'm sure you'll see a few.

- Greiss is locked up for another year, so may decide to.

- Steutzle will likely jump at the opportunity of playing on the Men's National Team.

- Michaelis has barely played this year and could use the reps.

krishiigonzalez

Jun 22, 2019
Berlin
Greiss isn't seen well and his time in the national team is over, I guess. I also don't see a big difference maker in him.
As for the other players the question is what kind of quarantine they will have to undergo. Maybe they don't have to because they're already vaccinated?

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
goal
Niederberger
Treutle
Strahlmeyer

Defence
Seider Holzer
Brandt Mo.Müller
Reul Seidenberg
J.Müller Bittner

Forwards
Noebels-Reichel-Stützle
Plachta Michaelis Eisenschmid
Fischbuch Eder Tiffels
Peterka J.Schütz Ehliz
Fauser Wohlgemuth

Rieder i have my doubts,that he will come
Hager will be out for the WC
Pföderl isn't fit .I think he will take a break
At magenta they say maybe Bergmann will come too

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
According to Ilta-Sanomat, Ville Peltonen is going to be Germany's assitant coach. And according to Elite Prospects, Peltonen was a Team Consultant in Deutschland Cup. Söderholm as head coach, quite Finn-tastic coaching staff. Good place for Seider to learn something from couple great leaders.

krishiigonzalez

Jun 22, 2019
Berlin
goal
Niederberger
Treutle
Strahlmeyer

Defence
Seider Holzer
Brandt Mo.Müller
Reul Seidenberg
J.Müller Bittner

Forwards
Noebels-Reichel-Stützle
Plachta Michaelis Eisenschmid
Fischbuch Eder Tiffels
Peterka J.Schütz Ehliz
Fauser Wohlgemuth

Rieder i have my doubts,that he will come
Hager will be out for the WC
Pföderl isn't fit .I think he will take a break
At magenta they say maybe Bergmann will come too

that is a pretty realistic lineup.

loewe80

Oct 30, 2012
Treutle
Niederberger
Strahlmeier

Seider-Holzer
Brandt-Gawanke
Wagner - J.Müller
Möser
(Abeltshauser,Akdag,Reul are ?)

fischbuch - Schütz - Tiffels
Peterka - eder - Schmölz
Pföderl - reichel - noebels
Plachta - wohlgemuth - eisenschmied

( Stützle, Rieder, Michaelis are ++++)

ilvins

Apr 6, 2003
Latvia
Visit site
Greiss isn't seen well and his time in the national team is over, I guess. I also don't see a big difference maker in him.
As for the other players the question is what kind of quarantine they will have to undergo. Maybe they don't have to because they're already vaccinated?
Quarantine requirements are pretty much set: 5 days in total, 2 of them full quarantine in the hotel room, 3 days only practise with team, each day testing, on 6th day can play. Teams will arrive on 16th of May, first games on 21st of May. Same procedure for the players who will arrive later. For example, if player arrives on 20th of may, he can play on 25th of may. No more than six players for each team can be added after 16th of May. That is procedure right now, slight changes are possible yet.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It's also a risk to include players later on, so I guess adding players later on won't be an option widly used this year.

I wonder if there are exceptions for players already vaccinated, I guess in the NHL some (or more) are already.

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
According to Ilta-Sanomat, Ville Peltonen is going to be Germany's assitant coach. And according to Elite Prospects, Peltonen was a Team Consultant in Deutschland Cup. Söderholm as head coach, quite Finn-tastic coaching staff. Good place for Seider to learn something from couple great leaders.
Ilpo Kauhanen will be the coach for the goalies:nod:

Reactions: SantosHalper

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Interesting, Panarin critizes Putin, he is a freedom fighter, Greiss dislikes Clinton, shut him down!))

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Interesting, Panarin critizes Putin, he is a freedom fighter, Greiss dislikes Clinton, shut him down!))

On a German TV channel they criticized he has condculated Rush Limbaugh. I never heared of him. Is he a conservative right- winger or has anybody heared that he is foreign-finesse for example?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
On a German TV channel they criticized he has condculated Rush Limbaugh. I never heared of him. Is he a conservative right- winger or has anybody heared that he is foreign-finesse for example?

Rush Limbaugh died recently. He was a radio host, conservative, right wing(for 2021). I highly doubt that Greiss would have got any criticism for saying smth positive about Rachel Maddow or Bill Maher

Reactions: Bure80

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It is not the fact that he dislikes Clinton, but the comparison with Hitler. Thats a nogo in Germany, the federation has made the decision, deal with it.
I see. Well, the comparsion is pretty dumb but it is also dumb to ban one of your best players from NT because of such small issue.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Greiss is 35. He isnt the future of German hockey. He will not be the Goalie when Stützle and Co will be in their prime. So thats not a big issue.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Over on Reddit there are also some pictures of Greiss’ Coyotes mask. The way the two S are depicted. Boy, not a good look for some who was born and raised in Germany. That symbolism sure is something.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Over on Reddit there are also some pictures of Greiss’ Coyotes mask. The way the two S are depicted. Boy, not a good look for some who was born and raised in Germany. That symbolism sure is something.
That lettering is also used by the band KISS, where the two SS are different than the K and I. It’s the same design on his mask. I have not seen if he has commented on the design himself. But not shocked that he is removed from national team.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Seriously people, I’m also German. If you get raised here and go to school you know about the symbols and what they stand for. There is no way a German would put these letters anywhere near him thinking “Oh yea, that’s a nice Kiss tribute”

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Seriously people, I’m also German. If you get raised here and go to school you know about the symbols and what they stand for. There is no way a German would put these letters anywhere near him thinking “Oh yea, that’s a nice Kiss tribute”

Greiss played in two World Championships and also in the World Cup since his days with the Coyotes. Don't think the mask was an issue. And it'd be absurd if new managment punished him for a mask he wore almost a decade ago, without explaining that's their reason, or letting him explain it.

Of course, comparing Clinton to Hitler is stupid, but it's also something Greiss has apologized for already. And how anyone can deem him a nazi for liking that post is beyond me. If anything, the incident suggests he's anti Hitler, not the other way around.

Anyway, I disagree with anyone claiming Germany has equally good options in Europe. The Olympics is less than a year away. Grubauer should be the starter, but he's injury prone. Greiss would certainly provide the national team with good backup security. He's above 91% this season on a horrible Red Wings team.

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Of course, comparing Clinton to Hitler was stupid, but it's also something Greiss has apologized for already. How anyone can deem him a nazi for liking that post is beyond me. If anything, the incident suggests he's anti Hitler, not the other way around.

Thank God someone finally wrote this !

@GermanNuck you said in Germany you learn about symbols in schools. I hope they learned you diffirence between swastika and hooked cross !? :)

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad