OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
i’m good with trading down.

The names mentioned were all drafted #2.

Yup trading down is pretty much a no brainer.

And yes I know that all those players were #2's but of those choices, I'm going with Chase Young everytime not even anything to think about.

What about you...who would you take of those choices of yours?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Yup trading down is pretty much a no brainer.

And yes I know that all those players were #2's but of those choices, I'm going with Chase Young everytime not even anything to think about.

What about you...who would you take of those choices of yours?

Sewell, of course lol. Kidding. I am trading out. I wasn’t sure about Young. Due to fan backlash i likely would have taken him. No way i would have taken Barkley. I would have taken Darnold.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
. . . and i anticipate Gettleman talking about progress after losing either Williams or Tomlinson and then drafting Kwity Paye.

1+1-1= 1 Progress!!!!!

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If they love a QB, they should take them. If you're really convinced Fields or Wilson are your guy, don't trade to 5,6,7,8,etc and hope they're there.

It's a QB. You either love a guy to take over your franchise, or you don't. There's no "I like Wilson to be our guy, but only in the 7-10 range"

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Sewell, of course lol. Kidding. I am trading out. I wasn’t sure about Young. Due to fan backlash i likely would have taken him. No way i would have taken Barkley. I would have taken Darnold.

Yeah to this day I'm still surprised the Gmen took Barkley instead of Darnold. I mean it's not like either of the two have really panned out for different reasons obviously but AT THE TIME, I recall myself and my other Jet brothers so surprised and pumped up that the Giants took Barkley leaving us Darnold, that I was actually thinking at the time that maybe the football gods were lifting this curse we have off of us...lol.

What's ironic is had the Giants actually taken Darnold, the Jets very likely would have taken either Allen or Rosen. Knowing how putrid Mac was when it came to having to actually make the correct decisions when players didn't simply fall into his lap, Mac likely would have taken Rosen...I have no doubt in my mind about that....hah

Reactions: NYSPORTS

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I want the Jets to draft Sewell as well. But I want us too trade down a few spots even more and gain some more draft capital. I've said it a bunch of times but it bears repeating. None of these QB's are worth the #2 pick nor is any of them that much better than Darnold. The only player in this draft that is worth the #2 pick is Sewell and so if the Jets picked him, I'd be more than OK with it and would embrace it.

However after really thinking about it over the past few weeks, what I really want the Jets to do is trade down to let's say a 5 thru 7(Cin,Phil,Det) which would leave the Jets with an unquestioned great player while at the same time gaining more draft capital and assets. I'm pretty convinced this is the way Joe D is going to go from everything I'm reading, hearing, the experience thus far of Douglas and what my gut says.

Now if Deshaun Watson actually is realistic, well than I'd seriously need to reassess and well all bets are off and forget anything I said...lol

My revised %'s on what I think the Jets will actually do would be:

65% the Jets trade down
30% the Jets pick Sewell
4% the Jets pick either Fields or Wilson
1% the Jets trade the pick in order to get Watson.

re: the bold, respectfully, the prob with that theory is the guy you wind up with at 5-7 is A HUGE LESS DEGREE OF GUARANTEE.
Also, LT is a dif maker position.
More than any other, it helps give QB time to stabilize, etc.

We would seriously regret losing Sewell.

I am open to other variations on the moving up theme, like our extra picks from SEA, future NYJ picks, or selections later this draft.
But NOT 2OA.
Only exception is Lawrence who = high confidence projection to be generational. That's it.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
One thing the Jets should be doing is not moving the pick until they are on the clock. There will be a bunch of pre-draft chatter and they'll have their options lined up, unless of course Watson is their move, then it is done way in advance of the draft.

I'd say the odds are slim, but you never know if Urban Meyer picks Fields with #1 since he recruited him to Ohio State and knows him well. I still think they take Lawrence, but if there is any doubt of that, you hold onto that thing as long as possible. I would much rather draft Lawrence than trade for Watson.
If Jax has any interest in taking Fields they will trade the pick. Jets should be on the phone with them.

Reactions: bernmeister

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would take Watson over Lawrence any day of the week. Even considering the cost of acquiring each and the actual cost of each.

As a Jets fan, I'm over relying on the team to develop QB talent. Christ, since Pennington two decades ago, we haven't been able to develop anyone. Our best QB seasons have come from Favre and Fitzpatrick. Vinny. Give me someone we know can play.

Maybe it's not totally logical, but I root for the Jets so logic isn't really my thing. :laugh:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Watching the Saleh presser while working and I gotta say....sure there is a lot of "coach speak" going on but dang...what a tremendously different vibe you get from him than what Gase gave us 3 years ago.

We got a new slogan too look forward too...."all gas no brakes" is the new mantra here for the Jets.

The guy knows his shit, his passion for football resonates and most importantly he has normal eyes!....lol.

In all seriousness, I really do like what I heard today.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah Saleh is a guy I think all Jets fans can get on board with, what a difference to the Gase hiring which most people (correctly) hated. This is only step one, now its time for JD (Jets version) to show that he can build a quality team, because this team still lacks talent at most positions which is a problem this team has had for 5+ years running now.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yeah Saleh is a guy I think all Jets fans can get on board with, what a difference to the Gase hiring which most people (correctly) hated. This is only step one, now its time for JD (Jets version) to show that he can build a quality team, because this team still lacks talent at most positions which is a problem this team has had for 5+ years running now.

It's amazing how the same person can hire Adam Gase can then turn around and hire Saleh. It's a completely different person. You talk about communication and you can just see Saleh is not going to lack in that role. The players are going to know where they stand with him. Gase just seemed to fumble all his words.

Not to mention the passion he shows on the sideline. You talk about wanting a coach that is right there with you, and this someone that will without a doubt feel like he's on the field with you.

It really feels like a coach, not a coordinator. Gase and Bowles really felt like coordinators coming into the job.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
As I just said what a different vibe you get with Saleh from the Gase presser.

For shits and giggles, I just rewatched some of the "highlights" of the Gase introductory presser and my lord what a shit show it really was. Besides the bug eyes and how bizarre that was, the way Gase communicated his vision compared to Saleh was like night and day. I could barely even comprehend what Gase wanted to accomplish.

Saleh's vision and the way he's going to go about things were crystal clear. I love the fact that tho he's going to be involved with both the offense and defense. Jets need someone like that. No more of the head coach doesn't give a shit about the other side of the ball crap.

I dunno...I'm feeling actually oddly optimistic as crazy as that sounds for a Jet fan to say....hah

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I would take Watson over Lawrence any day of the week. Even considering the cost of acquiring each and the actual cost of each.

As a Jets fan, I'm over relying on the team to develop QB talent. Christ, since Pennington two decades ago, we haven't been able to develop anyone. Our best QB seasons have come from Favre and Fitzpatrick. Vinny. Give me someone we know can play.

Maybe it's not totally logical, but I root for the Jets so logic isn't really my thing. :laugh:

the problem though is that my faith in them building a team around that qb is just as low as my faith in them developing the qb lol

Reactions: Barnaby and nyr2k2

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm sorry I just can't see anyway on gods green earth Jax isn't taking Lawrence.

The Meyer relationship with Fields is just noise.
I mean sure but whoever does draft #1 is taking Lawrence. Assuming the Jets don't trade for Watson and Jacksonville wants to trade the pick the Jets have to make a play for it. If Miami or NE somehow get that pick, unlikely as it seems, it's a disaster.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Good news, in 9 shorts months we’ll be discussing week 1 results

. . . and hopefully not already posting about draft position.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Good news, in 9 shorts months we’ll be discussing week 1 results

. . . and hopefully not already posting about draft position.

I dunno my friend, discussing the draft and what you think your team is going to do has always been kind of fun for me and interesting debate.

And when it comes to the Jets, it's especially fascinating discussion, considering how much we've F'd up the draft over the years...lol

This year is no different!

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I dunno my friend, discussing the draft and what you think your team is going to do has always been kind of fun for me and interesting debate.

And when it comes to the Jets, it's especially fascinating discussion, considering how much we've F'd up the draft over the years...lol

This year is no different!

we all discuss the options yet i, like so many Giants fans, are so down on this owner and GM. They draft so horribly and mismanage their cap terribly. So many high picks and practically nothing to show for it.

2011 the OL was on their very last legs. They were finished. Luckily the defensive line got healthy and the skills broke some big plays behind a smart Eli. That was the end of what should have been the draft for reinforcements.

2012 - should have been OL, OL. Instead they went HB and WR

The rest of the drafts have been a joke. The DL which was the centerpiece of the Super Bowls runs besides Eli never added a DE. The OL was left in ruins. Time after time they botched up everything. OBJ was a household name and distraction while i wanted Darnold on the DL with JPP while my other target Taylor Lewan went a pick before OBJ.

Ereck Flowers could only bench press, Eli Apple reeked of front office incompetence, Engram can’t catch yet this fickle league claims he’s a Pro-Bowler, Barkley is hurt and Jones is, who the heck knows what Jones is?

Guessing the Giants will go DL after losing a FA and call it progress. Although they should be able to sign both DL free agents by allocating dollars towards 2022 yet this is Dave Gettleman football. 15-33

Reactions: ponzu4u and Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
we all discuss the options yet i, like so many Giants fans, are so down on this owner and GM. They draft so horribly and mismanage their cap terribly. So many high picks and practically nothing to show for it.

2011 the OL was on their very last legs. They were finished. Luckily the defensive line got healthy and the skills broke some big plays behind a smart Eli. That was the end of what should have been the draft for reinforcements.

2012 - should have been OL, OL. Instead they went HB and WR

The rest of the drafts have been a joke. The DL which was the centerpiece of the Super Bowls runs besides Eli never added a DE. The OL was left in ruins. Time after time they botched up everything. OBJ was a household name and distraction while i wanted Darnold on the DL with JPP while my other target Taylor Lewan went a pick before OBJ.

Ereck Flowers could only bench press, Eli Apple reeked of front office incompetence, Engram can’t catch yet this fickle league claims he’s a Pro-Bowler, Barkley is hurt and Jones is, who the heck knows what Jones is?

Guessing the Giants will go DL after losing a FA and call it progress. Although they should be able to sign both DL free agents by allocating dollars towards 2022 yet this is Dave Gettleman football. 15-33

Pretty much on point here all that you say.

BTW...Are you a Giant fan or a Jet fan. I think your a Gmen fan but I can't 100% tell.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
NFL bans private workouts, facility visits with draft prospects - ProFootballTalk

“Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports the NFL is prohibiting scouts from timing, testing, interviewing in-person or giving medical exams to any draft-eligible player at any location except a school’s pro day or at an all-star game. The league cited ongoing concerns surrounding COVID-19,

It bans private workouts, facility visits, dinners and film sessions with draft prospects. Schools hosting pro days are allowed a maximum of five players classified as “Designated Underclassmen” to participate in a pro day.”

Who knows what they will be drafting?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad