Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I love how every article about who can trade for Deshaun Watson is like

The Lions could trade Stafford and the 7th pick plus another 1st

The Dolphins could trade Tua and the 18th plus another 1st

The Jets could trade the 2nd, 23rd and their next 4 1sts for him

Jets can make an offer but it won't include 2OA.

Fish (mammal, Mr. Costanza) can do 3OA + 18 + something including 2022 1st w/or w'o Tua and that should be top offer.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the Jets will need to do some value analysis when it comes to Sam. Is it worth using your top pick on a QB this year and trade Sam maybe for a 2nd rounder or do you keep Sam, use #2 and the other picks to build around him, build up the team in free agency and see what he can do? Of course getting Watson changes all of that, but I'd put that at a low chance of happening.

The idea of punting on the QB decision allows them to build an actual roster with talent throughout. If Sam can't do anything at that point, you know what you have to do. If you move Sam now, you're resetting the clock with a rookie QB, but you're locked in. At least with keeping Sam, you could go in another direction at QB that isn't just the draft. Trade options are open, signing a veteran in free agency and of course they could draft someone. I don't think they'd move Sam and not draft a QB.

I'd rather stick with Sam, build the team and find the QB if they need to after. Looking at the 4 teams left, I'd say all of them did just that, even going all the way back to Rodgers being drafted and sitting for 3 years.

key is what is the value at 2OA, and can you afford to gamble?
Sewell is a dif maker and a building block.
They'll likely take the relatively sure thing.

Darnold played much better with weapons.

Grab Sewell
See how it goes w/Sam
options to move him or keep

Reactions: Maximus

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah of you move for Watson it absolutely must include the #2. That's the most valuable the trade chip the Jets have.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
yes, Dallas did it with Tyron Smith but it was a hefty number.
Yeah how would it look for Darnold? You strongly intimate you won't pick up his fifth year option, but you'll extend his contract two years instead. I guess the logic being that you offer him more in the extension than he would get on the open market if he struggled next season. I don't know if it works that way but in my imagination it makes sense. :laugh:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Yeah how would it look for Darnold? You strongly intimate you won't pick up his fifth year option, but you'll extend his contract two years instead. I guess the logic being that you offer him more in the extension than he would get on the open market if he struggled next season. I don't know if it works that way but in my imagination it makes sense. :laugh:

i was wrong. Must have been another Cowboy or who knows. Jones refinances and restructures so often it’s tough to keep track

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah of you move for Watson it absolutely must include the #2. That's the most valuable the trade chip the Jets have.

Correct to say 2OA is our best asset, but expect FL will add more to 3OA than we can, or frankly should, match/top. Remember also reportedly Watson wants to go to Dolphins, and while no one wants to accommodate him, any acquiring club would have to be concerned if he is not fully enthusiastic, particularly given the price paid.

Whether NYJ QB is Watson, Darnold, or the man in the moon, there needs to be an effin line.
Becton atm is only reliable block we have.
Get Sewell, and whether they are bookend Ts or are closer together, FINALLY, FINALLY, we can have nec degree of pass protection.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Correct to say 2OA is our best asset, but expect FL will add more to 3OA than we can, or frankly should, match/top. Remember also reportedly Watson wants to go to Dolphins, and while no one wants to accommodate him, any acquiring club would have to be concerned if he is not fully enthusiastic, particularly given the price paid.

Whether NYJ QB is Watson, Darnold, or the man in the moon, there needs to be an effin line.
Becton atm is only reliable block we have.
Get Sewell, and whether they are bookend Ts or are closer together, FINALLY, FINALLY, we can have nec degree of pass protection.
I'm just saying, it's hard to imagine the Jets even making an offer that doesn't include the 2OA. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, just that if they are serious enough to even make an offer, it pretty much has to include the 2OA to even receive a response.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I'm just saying, it's hard to imagine the Jets even making an offer that doesn't include the 2OA. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, just that if they are serious enough to even make an offer, it pretty much has to include the 2OA to even receive a response.

The Texans immediately hang up on Douglas if he doesn't include the 2OA in a trade for Watson. There is no reason the Jets wouldn't include it to get him, none. If the Jets want Watson that pick is gone and I don't think it's even a discussion.

Reactions: nyr2k2

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

More than fair enough.
I expect Dolphins will put 3oA on the table, and more signif, will add other assets we cannot match.
That's why to me if we think Miami is serious to acquire, outreach by NY is moot.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think the Jets should trade the pick and keep Darnold.

Flip #1's and get something else in addition to a #1 for next season. I understsnd there will be no combine and many played few games so i think the risk for a mess of a draft is at an all-time high.

Find a desperate team and load up for the 22 draft. The Jets can still outbid almost everybody on free agents for 21.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRHRangers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think the Jets should trade the pick and keep Darnold.

Flip #1's and get something else in addition to a #1 for next season. I understsnd there will be no combine and many played few games so i think the risk for a mess of a draft is at an all-time high.

Find a desperate team and load up for the 22 draft. The Jets can still outbid almost everybody on free agents for 21.

IMO expect it would be a mistake b'c we need a dominant tackle, cost controlled, and not not seeing we get one any other way besides taking Sewell.

No one is giving us like 6 10OA level picks for our 2/2+ small add.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
IMO expect it would be a mistake b'c we need a dominant tackle, cost controlled, and not not seeing we get one any other way besides taking Sewell.

No one is giving us like 6 10OA level picks for our 2/2+ small add.

We get it. You’re obsessed with Sewell lol. Johnathan Ogden doesn’t win a Super Bowl if not for that defense. Munoz never won a Bowl. Larry Allen needed a great team. Erik Williams was one of many stars. The list goes on and on. Right now, the Jets have one OT and they’re picking #2 overall. Two OT doesn’t mean the foundation for success is guaranteed. The Jets need many players.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We get it. You’re obsessed with Sewell lol. Johnathan Ogden doesn’t win a Super Bowl if not for that defense. Munoz never won a Bowl. Larry Allen needed a great team. Erik Williams was one of many stars. The list goes on and on. Right now, the Jets have one OT and they’re picking #2 overall. Two OT doesn’t mean the foundation for success is guaranteed. The Jets need many players.

they need a LOT
but 2 superior studs in key position = dif maker
a few more only good guys = not enough

BUILD

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The Jets had the top pick in 1996 and 1997. The Ravens had 2 1st round picks in 1996 and they both went to the hall of fame. Walter Jones is another hall of fame OT drafted in 1997 who also never won a superbowl. The jets could have drafted any of these guys or at least not chased Manning to grad school.

Reactions: bernmeister

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The Jets had the top pick in 1996 and 1997. The Ravens had 2 1st round picks in 1996 and they both went to the hall of fame. Walter Jones is another hall of fame OT drafted in 1997 who also never won a superbowl. The jets could have drafted any of these guys or at least not chased Manning to grad school.

oh yeah, the Jets have passed on many good players.

i get the idea of building a great OL but we’re not seeing teams emphasize OT this early in the draft. I could see it if this was the 80’s and there were many OLB getting to the QB but in this league you don’t see it. Why a great OT when good ones league wide make the same block?

Can debate it either way. Two great bookends looks nice and who knows what is really available in this draft? No combine, questionable schedule and some kids did ‘t even play. Maybe this is the year you go for a sure thing. Or is it a sure thing being the kid didn’t play? When opponents and teams league wide are exploding up and down the field offensively w/o great bookends, how are they doing it?

Like i mentioned regarding my Giants, if you go QB at#2 great but otherwise get out. They went Barkley (smh). I feel the same here. Go QB or get out.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

I want the Jets to draft Sewell as well. But I want us too trade down a few spots even more and gain some more draft capital. I've said it a bunch of times but it bears repeating. None of these QB's are worth the #2 pick nor is any of them that much better than Darnold. The only player in this draft that is worth the #2 pick is Sewell and so if the Jets picked him, I'd be more than OK with it and would embrace it.

However after really thinking about it over the past few weeks, what I really want the Jets to do is trade down to let's say a 5 thru 7(Cin,Phil,Det) which would leave the Jets with an unquestioned great player while at the same time gaining more draft capital and assets. I'm pretty convinced this is the way Joe D is going to go from everything I'm reading, hearing, the experience thus far of Douglas and what my gut says.

Now if Deshaun Watson actually is realistic, well than I'd seriously need to reassess and well all bets are off and forget anything I said...lol

My revised %'s on what I think the Jets will actually do would be:

65% the Jets trade down
30% the Jets pick Sewell
4% the Jets pick either Fields or Wilson
1% the Jets trade the pick in order to get Watson.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I want the Jets to draft Sewell as well. But I want us too trade down a few spots even more and gain some more draft capital. I've said it a bunch of times but it bears repeating. None of these QB's are worth the #2 pick nor is any of them that much better than Darnold. The only player in this draft that is worth the #2 pick is Sewell and so if the Jets picked him, I'd be more than OK with it and would embrace it.

However after really thinking about it over the past few weeks, what I really want the Jets to do is trade down to let's say a 5 thru 7(Cin,Phil,Det) which would leave the Jets with an unquestioned great player while at the same time gaining more draft capital and assets. I'm pretty convinced this is the way Joe D is going to go from everything I'm reading, hearing, the experience thus far of Douglas and what my gut says.

Now if Deshaun Watson actually is realistic, well than I'd seriously need to reassess and well all bets are off and forget anything I said...lol

My revised %'s on what I think the Jets will actually do would be:

65% the Jets trade down
30% the Jets pick Sewell
4% the Jets pick either Fields or Wilson
1% the Jets trade the pick in order to get Watson.

I like that strategy.

Let me ask you this.

Sewell, Chase Young, Bosa, Barkley are sitting at #2. Who are you taking?

Unless it’s a slam dunk for Sewell i think he’s a reach at #2.

What if the Jets didn’t have Darnold? What’ the pick or strategy?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
One thing the Jets should be doing is not moving the pick until they are on the clock. There will be a bunch of pre-draft chatter and they'll have their options lined up, unless of course Watson is their move, then it is done way in advance of the draft.

I'd say the odds are slim, but you never know if Urban Meyer picks Fields with #1 since he recruited him to Ohio State and knows him well. I still think they take Lawrence, but if there is any doubt of that, you hold onto that thing as long as possible. I would much rather draft Lawrence than trade for Watson.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
One thing the Jets should be doing is not moving the pick until they are on the clock. There will be a bunch of pre-draft chatter and they'll have their options lined up, unless of course Watson is their move, then it is done way in advance of the draft.

I'd say the odds are slim, but you never know if Urban Meyer picks Fields with #1 since he recruited him to Ohio State and knows him well. I still think they take Lawrence, but if there is any doubt of that, you hold onto that thing as long as possible. I would much rather draft Lawrence than trade for Watson.

lol - he has to take Lawrence but i thought about the same thing. Watch the Jets trade for Watson and the Texans end up with Lawrence b/c the Jags went Fields. Can you imagine? lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I like that strategy.

Let me ask you this.

Sewell, Chase Young, Bosa, Barkley are sitting at #2. Who are you taking?

Unless it’s a slam dunk for Sewell i think he’s a reach at #2.

What if the Jets didn’t have Darnold? What’ the pick or strategy?

I actually do think Sewell is as close to a slam dunk as there is after Lawrence to be honest.

Now as far as your choices you left me, I don't even think twice about it as I'm taking Chase Young and than going to my favorite bar and celebrating hard, as it's a no brainer for me as I think he's going to the HOF when it's all said and done.

As far as what I'd do if Jets didn't have Darnold, I'm trading down still too the area I previously mentioned in that 5-7...5-8 range and than I take either Fields or Wilson one of whom very likely would still be there as it would be much more apropos for either of those two to go there than at #2 which is way way too early for either of them.

Now if for some reason both QB's are taken before my pick at let's say 6, I take one of the studly WR's available and than I take either of the other QB's Trask, Lance or Jones with one of my extra picks I get for trading down somewhere in the 2nd round or so.

Jets are in a very good spot and Douglas knows is as Jets will control the draft. What feels comforting tho is that for the first time in forever, the Jets actually have a guy who we or at least I do, feel confident about and that he won't F it up...imagine that a Jet GM who you can feel confident won't F it up...what a concept!!....lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I actually do think Sewell is as close to a slam dunk as there is after Lawrence to be honest.

Now as far as your choices you left me, I don't even think twice about it as I'm taking Chase Young and than going to my favorite bar and celebrating hard, as it's a no brainer for me as I think he's going to the HOF when it's all said and done.

As far as what I'd do if Jets didn't have Darnold, I'm trading down still too the area I previously mentioned in that 5-7...5-8 range and than I take either Fields or Wilson one of whom very likely would still be there as it would be much more apropos for either of those two to go there than at #2 which is way way too early for either of them.

Now if for some reason both QB's are taken before my pick at let's say 6, I take one of the studly WR's available and than I take either of the other QB's Trask, Lance or Jones with one of my extra picks I get for trading down somewhere in the 2nd round or so.

Jets are in a very good spot and Douglas knows is as Jets will control the draft. What feels comforting tho is that for the first time in forever, the Jets actually have a guy who we or at least I do, feel confident about and that he won't F it up...imagine that a Jet GM who you can feel confident won't F it up...what a concept!!....lol

i’m good with trading down.

The names mentioned were all drafted #2. I like to judge talent comparing years. If i’m picking that high, the guy i want has to be the slam dunk. If it’s another player, i’m thinking it’s a reach. Guaranteed, other fans would have picked Barkley over the rest too.

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad