WC: 2021 Finland Roster Talk

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Amazing if Määttä comes, but at the same time that would be very surprising. I thought that Määttä is almost as bad as Ristolainen and Lehkonen when it comes to declining WHC invitations. I understand that he was often with Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but he had the chance to join many times and always the same thing.

When has he had a chance to join WHC? The only season during his NHL career when Määttä didn't play any playoff games besides this year was 2014-2015 season when his season ended prematurely due to a shoulder injury. I think you are misremembering things or confusing Määttä with someone else because I can't find any instance when he even had a chance to join the team.

Reactions: mattihp and Keke

PastaBergyMarchy

Apr 8, 2019
Finland lines for tonight against Czech Republic.

1:

41 Jere Innala – 27 Petri Kontiola – 20 Niko Ojamäki

50 Mikael Seppälä – 36 Elmeri Eronen

2:

38 Teemu Turunen – 13 Mikael Ruohomaa – 81 Iiro Pakarinen

40 Petteri Lindbohm – 61 Axel Rindell

3:

19 Veli-Matti Savinainen – 24 Hannes Björninen – 25 Jere Karjalainen

6 Tony Sund – 3 Niklas Friman

4:

33 Markus Hännikäinen – 80 Saku Mäenalanen – 12 Marko Anttila

4 Tommi Kivistö – 39 Kim Nousiainen

13. hyökkääjä:

47 Peter Tiivola

Maalilla:

29 Harri Säteri
(45 Juho Olkinuora)

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
When has he had a chance to join WHC? The only season during his NHL career when Määttä didn't play any playoff games besides this year was 2014-2015 season when his season ended prematurely due to a shoulder injury. I think you are misremembering things or confusing Määttä with someone else because I can't find any instance when he even had a chance to join the team.

There were definititely multiple times when Määttä was in the playoffs when Pittsburgh got eliminated round 1 or round 2 and we had slots open in the WHC team and he said he's tired or that he had injuries or they didn't report anything regarding Määttä. I just remember the disappointment I had towards him multiple times.

I give him the benefit of the doubt about his reasoning being true and it being the team's benefit that he didn't join WHC some of those times if he didn't have motivation or energy to play anymore during those seasons, but the fact that it happened each time made me think that he's just another light version of "Captain America Ristolainen" as some have put it. A lot will be forgiven if he steps up now.

Reactions: Lartsaman

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Finland lines for tonight against Czech Republic.

1:

41 Jere Innala – 27 Petri Kontiola – 20 Niko Ojamäki

50 Mikael Seppälä – 36 Elmeri Eronen

2:

38 Teemu Turunen – 13 Mikael Ruohomaa – 81 Iiro Pakarinen

40 Petteri Lindbohm – 61 Axel Rindell

3:

19 Veli-Matti Savinainen – 24 Hannes Björninen – 25 Jere Karjalainen

6 Tony Sund – 3 Niklas Friman

4:

33 Markus Hännikäinen – 80 Saku Mäenalanen – 12 Marko Anttila

4 Tommi Kivistö – 39 Kim Nousiainen

13. hyökkääjä:

47 Peter Tiivola

Maalilla:

29 Harri Säteri
(45 Juho Olkinuora)

The bottom 6 looks crazy good, the top 6 thou, not good.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Liking the bottom six a lot too. Maybe jere sallinen could work his way onto one of those lines but looks very solid and I think this could be it for the worlds.

Top six, i like jere innala a lot. And he has chemistry with Kontiola. But of course lundell, Ruotsilainen, possibly Saarela, koivistoinen, perhaps Suomi, Pajuneimi maybe Kupari to join that group. I see that definitely changing and having a stronger look come worlds.

I mean all those guys got a chance but that top six will really need to perform and look good to stay in the team.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Right now I'm very comfortable with the team. I'm just praying for Lankinen. He would be a massive massive plus for this team. Any word yet?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Last roster lottery ticket:
Eemeli Suomi - Mikael Ruohomaa - Arttu Ruotsalainen
Veli-Matti Savinainen(A) - Jere Sallinen - Jere Karjalainen
Teemu Turunen - Anton Lundell - Niko Ojamäki
Iiro Pakarinen - Hannes Björninen - Marko Anttila(C)
Jere Innala - Petri Kontiola - Valtteri Puustinen

Atte Ohtamaa(A) - Oliwer Kaski
Petteri Lindbohm - Ville Pokka
Miika Koivisto - Tommi Kivistö
Mikael Seppälä - Tony Sund
Jarkko Parikka - Axel Rindell

Kevin Lankinen
Jussi Olkanuora
Harri Säteri

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Huh? Have you checked the Finnish roster? You have a forward group of a mediocre KHL team.

I think the optimism is coming from 2019 where a similar looking outfit was able to get goldagainst better looking paper teams. Jalolen has great ability to get a group working together for a tournament in a good system. If we got Lankinen and Maatta, the goalie/defence is a really strong unit.

Ruotsilainen is a good add for the forwards and while they are not flashy, they are an honest 2 way bunch. The kind Jalolen likes.

Favourites is without doubt a big stretch. Czechs have a good looking team this year and they will be seriously motivated. They are my favourites.

You just can't rule out a jalolen coached finnish team.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I think the optimism is coming from 2019 where a similar looking outfit was able to get goldagainst better looking paper teams. Jalolen has great ability to get a group working together for a tournament in a good system. If we got Lankinen and Maatta, the goalie/defence is a really strong unit.

Ruotsilainen is a good add for the forwards and while they are not flashy, they are an honest 2 way bunch. The kind Jalolen likes.

Favourites is without doubt a big stretch. Czechs have a good looking team this year and they will be seriously motivated. They are my favourites.

You just can't rule out a jalolen coached finnish team.
Yeah but i hope that the Finns have a better team on paper in next years(not so much rejections). I doubt that Suomi have every year succes(medal) with a mediocre team(despite Jalonen).

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Yeah but i hope that the Finns have a better team on paper in next years(not so much rejections). I doubt that Suomi have every year succes(medal) with a mediocre team(despite Jalonen).

Do you mean Olympics? There won't be any rejections for the Olympics if fit and healthy.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland

Next year, most of our top nhl-players are RFAs so I dont wait many nhl:ers to participate even though its a home tournament.

As for this years team. I don´t consider Finland as a favourite. My prediction: 4th place.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
First period statistics: SWE-RUS Goals: 1-1 Shots on target: 6-7 Faceoffs: 12-11 Hits: 2-2 Penalty minutes: 4-4

Statistics of the first two periods: SWE-RUS Goals: 2-4 Shots on target: 13-16 Faceoffs: 24-19 Hits: 3-4 Penalty minutes: 12-6

First period statistics: RUS-FIN Goals: 0-1 Shots on target: 7-8 Faceoffs: 6-13 Hits: 3-1 Penalty minutes: 4-2

Statistics of the first two periods: RUS-FIN Goals: 0-1 Shots on target: 12-17 Faceoffs: 16-21 Hits: 7-1 Penalty minutes: 8-2

its from russian hockey fedoration twitter.

i expected a team coached by jalonen to be more physical.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Who are we waiting on.

Lindell, Maata, Lankinen, Kakko, Kupari, Filpulla

Is that the list that haven't declined yet?

I saw that new York released chytil. Gave me a little hope for Kakko.

Filpulla is a bit interesting but it's been a good amount of time since Kakko, Lankinen, Lindell and Filpullas seasons ended. Think we would have heard a bit of news by now.

Maatta sounds like he is in.

And Kupari is questionable if he would be invited straight to the wc squad. A chance maybe.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
My favourite misspelling of a name, probably very popular with the swedes too :D

Ha ha. If my surname does not give up that I'm not finnish, my spelling of the names gives the game up completely

I support Finland because my wife is finnish. Besides our kids, ice hockey is the best thing shes brought to my life simply love it and a big Finnish supporter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad