WC: 2021 Finland Roster Talk

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Laine s comments interesting on attending the worlds but no way they sort out his contract stuff in time for him to go. Surely just giving a diplomatic answer here.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Realistic team:

Lankinen
Olkinuora
Säteri

Lindell - Kaski
Ohtamaa - Pokka
Lindbohm - Saarijärvi
Kivistö - Friman
Parikka - Eronen

Ruotsalainen - Kupari - Kakko
Savinainen - Ruohomaa - Karjalainen
Turunen - Kontiola - Lundell
Sallinen - Peltola - Anttila
Pakarinen - Mäenalanen - Hännikäinen

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Laine s comments interesting on attending the worlds but no way they sort out his contract stuff in time for him to go. Surely just giving a diplomatic answer here.

What did Laine say then?

Some players don't sort their contracts. They just come. In Laine's case the end of the season went so wrong that I doubt that injuring himself in WHC would make that much worse. It could be a risk worth taking if it's even a risk. Laine might feel like he has something to prove by coming to the tournament.

Maybe Kekäläinen wants Laine to go to build chemistry with his next head coach Jalonen after Tortorella gets fired ;). Just kidding.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Awesome. Ignoring recent point production, Lundell's style of play is a perfect match for Finland. I think now he has a strong chance of making final team.

It's surprising to me. Didn't expect that Lundell would be given a chance, but it's fair. He has to be very good in those EHT games.

Could it be that Kakko is coming and Jalonen wants to do Lundell+Kakko line. They have a lot of history together.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
What did Laine say then?

Some players don't sort their contracts. They just come. In Laine's case the end of the season went so wrong that I doubt that injuring himself in WHC would make that much worse. It could be a risk worth taking if it's even a risk. Laine might feel like he has something to prove by coming to the tournament.

Maybe Kekäläinen wants Laine to go to build chemistry with his next head coach Jalonen after Tortorella gets fired ;). Just kidding.

He was asked about world Cup. Answered something like that he is really hoping he ll get picked for the Olympics. He knows he is not in good form so if he would take all the opportunities he can to impress the coach (referring to wc) and that he loves representing his country. Said in the end that contract would have to be sorted quickly but he was hopeful it could be.

Maybe a small chance.

Reactions: Mestaruus

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
It's surprising to me. Didn't expect that Lundell would be given a chance, but it's fair. He has to be very good in those EHT games.

Could it be that Kakko is coming and Jalonen wants to do Lundell+Kakko line. They have a lot of history together.

Yeah or if laine goes, lundell would be a great 2 way center for him. Probably wouldn't play Kakko as a third on that line though. Kakko is great at forechecking, board battles and robbing the Puck but his defensive positioning in d zone and back checking is still work in progress. Him and laine on the same line would leave too much workload for lundell IMO Savaininen would be a good third guy on top line.

Then give Kakko to ruotsilainen if they both go. Trying to hold off naming my lineup a while until I get a clearer picture of the final names.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
What did Laine say then?

He was asked if he wants to play in WCH. He replied that "its better not to answer that". Nothing else. He must have known, that finnish shit media starts to overreact to whatever he answers.

He was also saying that its allways an honour to represent Finland but in that case he was clearly referring to the next olympics.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
He was asked if he wants to play in WCH. He replied that "its better not to answer that". Nothing else. He must have known, that finnish shit media starts to overreact to whatever he answers.

He was also saying that its allways an honour to represent Finland but in that case he was clearly referring to the next olympics.

I agree I think he s probably will not go but he did mention his form and taking every opportunity to impress the coaches. Could simply be talking about his nhl play but also talked about contract. I think you are right and I'm reading too much into it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If I'm not mistaken all NHL playoff teams have been decided except that Dallas & Nashville situation which interests us Finns regarding what players we might get for WHC.

Each team has 2 games remaining. Nashville has a 2 point lead. Nashville will play 2x Carolina and Dallas will play 2x Chicago. Carolina is the scarier team to play against of course but have to note that Carolina has already secured their division's #1 seed so they might just do what ever in the remaining games or maybe they don't want to risk their form. If I was Brind'Amour I'd put full taxi squad on and protect Aho & other important players from injuries before the playoffs. This would help Nashville.

Actually Carolina might have a reason to play after all. Carolina is leading the entire league in points and Vegas is 2 points away. So if they think about home advantage further on in the playoffs they might just play properly.

Looks like Nashville is ahead of Dallas if they tie in points. More regular time wins is the first rule to break the tie. Nashville 29 wins, Dallas 22 wins. We may know after tonight already which team advances. Carolina plays Predators at Nashville tonight.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Ruotsalainen-Kontiola-Suomi
Saarela-Lundell-Kakko
Savinainen-Pärssinen-Pajuniemi
Björninen-Ruohomaa-Anttila

I'd probably go with this for now, but if more NHL players are coming or some of these players aren't good in the EHT games, the lineup will change. There is a positive problem with centers in my opinion, so I had to put few centers to wing.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
What did Laine say then?

Agreed. A good tournament might benefit him going forward.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Ruotsalainen-Kontiola-Suomi
Saarela-Lundell-Kakko
Savinainen-Pärssinen-Pajuniemi
Björninen-Ruohomaa-Anttila

I'd probably go with this for now, but if more NHL players are coming or some of these players aren't good in the EHT games, the lineup will change. There is a positive problem with centers in my opinion, so I had to put few centers to wing.

Think Kontiola will need 2 speedy guys to protect him a little bit and be most effective.

I think parssinen won't get called as that may be too many inexperienced centers but Finland will need two way centers in this tournament as I'm sure they ll be up against better offensive forward groups. That and I love to see how he would get on which is why I would also pick him. His playoff performances give him a chance. Using the same players and adding some existing I would maybe go with

Ruotsilainen Kontiola Saivinanen
Saarela Lundell Kakko
Bjorninen Parssinen Pajuneimi
Maenlenen Antilla Hannikinen

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Curious as to what consideration Janne Kuokkanen received for this team?

Played on New Jersey's top line for much of the season with Yegor Sharangovich - first with Travis Zajac and following the trade deadline with Jack Hughes - and had a strong first season.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017

Played on New Jersey's top line for much of the season with Yegor Sharangovich - first with Travis Zajac and following the trade deadline with Jack Hughes - and had a strong first season.

Kuokkanen would certainly make this team but he is rfa. Thinking in leaving him out is simply that he would decline due to contract negotiations.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Kuokkanen doesnt have a contract for next season, which could prevent him from coming. Obviously if he wants to come he should be on the team.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
My realistic prediction:

Ruotsalainen - Lundell - Kakko
Turunen - Ruohomaa - Karjalainen
Savinainen - Kontiola - Anttila
Hännikäinen - Björninen - Pakarinen
Saarela/Mäenalanen

Määttä - Kaski
Ohtamaa - Pokka
Lindbohm - Saarijärvi
Kivistö/Eronen

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
My realistic prediction:

Ruotsalainen - Lundell - Kakko
Turunen - Ruohomaa - Karjalainen
Savinainen - Kontiola - Anttila
Hännikäinen - Björninen - Pakarinen
Saarela/Mäenalanen

Määttä - Kaski
Ohtamaa - Pokka
Lindbohm - Saarijärvi
Kivistö/Eronen

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

becuse of corona, 28 players are allowed.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Think Kontiola will need 2 speedy guys to protect him a little bit and be most effective.

I think parssinen won't get called as that may be too many inexperienced centers but Finland will need two way centers in this tournament as I'm sure they ll be up against better offensive forward groups. That and I love to see how he would get on which is why I would also pick him. His playoff performances give him a chance. Using the same players and adding some existing I would maybe go with

Ruotsilainen Kontiola Saivinanen
Saarela Lundell Kakko
Bjorninen Parssinen Pajuneimi
Maenlenen Antilla Hannikinen

That's a fair assesment on Pärssinen and I'd be fine with leaving him out and using another center instead of him. Perhaps choose Pärssinen to the team and let him sit out and replace someone if needed or if injuries happen.

I thought that Anttila plays only wing position? Not sure about the Jokerit trio on the 4th line. They can't do much on the offenssive end. I think we can get defensive forwards who can score better than some of them. Anttila is a lock and the captain of the team of course but the others, I'm not sure about.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Indeed most of us would actually take almost any NHL player that we could into the team but most of them have contract problems, injuries or we don't expect them to want to play in some covid-19 bubble (corona prison). Very young NHL players are our best bet, like Kakko.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad