Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
My realistic prediction:

Ruotsalainen - Lundell - Kakko
Turunen - Ruohomaa - Karjalainen
Savinainen - Kontiola - Anttila
Hännikäinen - Björninen - Pakarinen
Saarela/Mäenalanen

I like the 3rd line with Tappara background players, but will having Anttila there kill the offensive production of Kontiola? Give Kontiola a sniper in Saarela or Pajuniemi in my opinion.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Here is another way to look at past chemistry and where Jalonen put certain players. WHC 2019 final against Canada lines:

Harri Pesonen - Sakari Manninen - Kaapo Kakko
Veli-Matti Savinainen - Jere Sallinen - Kristian Kuusela
Toni Rajala - Juhani Tyrväinen - Niko Ojamäki
Joel Kiviranta - Juho Lammikko - Marko Anttila

Mikko Lehtonen - Atte Ohtamaa
Petteri Lindbohm - Henri Jokiharju
Niko Mikkola - Oliwer Kaski
Miika Koivisto - Jani Hakanpää

I forgot about Sallinen. Jalonen will 100% select him to the final squad but will he use him as a winger this time since we seem to have a good amount of centers now?

I must say that I didn't even remember how many defensive forwards we had in that 2019 team. Similar thing might happen this time around.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Jalonen said today that now there's seven potential NHL players that have contract for next season. Everyone will be asked but won't be disappointment if all decline the invite. His expectation is that even in best case scenario the number of NHL players in this years team will be small.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Jalonen said today that now there's seven potential NHL players that have contract for next season. Everyone will be asked but won't be disappointment if all decline the invite. His expectation is that even in best case scenario the number of NHL players in this years team will be small.

Lankinen, Ristolainen, Lindell, Maata, Ruotsilainen, Hintz(although injury) and Kakko.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Lankinen, Ristolainen, Lindell, Maata, Ruotsilainen, Hintz(although injury) and Kakko.

Jalonen said yesterday that couple NHL players have expressed their interest joining the team. He also mentioned that Hintz is possibly having surgery after the season so he is doubtful.

Reactions: Mestaruus

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Ruotsilainen was the one I was most confident would join but man is it still great to get that confirmation. Very very welcome addition.

Lots of the Rangers youngsters are declining other countries. I hope there's not team instruction to decline.
Kakko would just be a really really fun one to get.

I'm quietly confident on Lankinen at that would be a huge addition. With the solid D that should be there and Lankinen in goals I would rule nothing out.

If Maata was smart he would go. He has no chance of an Olympic spot I think unless he goes a leave an impression on Jalonen.

Lindell, Ristolainen - they are gaurenteed in the Olympic team. It would be a great boost to get either but not expecting it.

I think we ll get Lankinen, Maata and Ruotsilainen.

I'm have a bad feeling Kakko will decline under pressure from his management.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well if Rangers won't let Kakko go, then that sucks, but I'd imagine he would like to go since he was part of that cinderella story in 2019 with the same coach. If I'm not mistaken he also went through covid already so the fear of him being a diabetic and getting it isn't a problem either. He was put at least twice on the covid-19 protocol list so maybe he had it.

The players who Rangers didn't let go are both goalies so we might still get Kakko. I don't think that either of those goalies would've been Russia's #1 goalie in the tournament so maybe Rangers don't see the need for them to sit on the bench or something. Kakko would get a leading role as one of Finland's most important forwards and PP time and so on and the potential to be a national hero. Who knows where that would elevate him the next NHL season. Maybe he would finally start scoring for Rangers in the way that many have been expecting of him.

Let's not forget about Kupari either. He might not be much better than some of our better centers in the current camp but I'd for sure take him personally.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Well if Rangers won't let Kakko go, then that sucks, but I'd imagine he would like to go since he was part of that cinderella story in 2019 with the same coach. If I'm not mistaken he also went through covid already so the fear of him being a diabetic and getting it isn't a problem either. He was put at least twice on the covid-19 protocol list so maybe he had it.

The players who Rangers didn't let go are both goalies so we might still get Kakko. I don't think that either of those goalies would've been Russia's #1 goalie in the tournament so maybe Rangers don't see the need for them to sit on the bench or something. Kakko would get a leading role as one of Finland's most important forwards and PP time and so on and the potential to be a national hero. Who knows where that would elevate him the next NHL season. Maybe he would finally start scoring for Rangers in the way that many have been expecting of him.

Let's not forget about Kupari either. He might not be much better than some of our better centers in the current camp but I'd for sure take him personally.

Laf, fox, Miller also declining. I think Kakko will be very unlikely.

Kupari could be a wing too. Could be looked at.

GusevNik

Apr 22, 2019
Who's that? A singer?
It is not for nothing that they say that Fins are harmful people. The Google translator is to blame for everything, it incorrectly translated the last name, and I forgot to correct it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Scuttlebutt says Määttä and Lankinen are looking likely... But let's wait for the official confirmation.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Scuttlebutt says Määttä and Lankinen are looking likely... But let's wait for the official confirmation.

Lankinen+Anttila all we need for the gold.

Amazing if Määttä comes, but at the same time that would be very surprising. I thought that Määttä is almost as bad as Ristolainen and Lehkonen when it comes to declining WHC invitations. I understand that he was often with Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but he had the chance to join many times and always the same thing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Amazing if Määttä comes, but at the same time that would be very surprising. I thought that Määttä is almost as bad as Ristolainen and Lehkonen when it comes to declining WHC invitations. I understand that he was often with Pittsburgh in the playoffs, but he had the chance to join many times and always the same thing.
I don't think Määttä is half as bad as Ristolainen. When he has declined, always seemed to have something a little more tangible than just "no motivation" or "I want to train".

One thing that might motivate Määttä is wanting to raise his olympic stock. The way I see it, right now we have two names who are 100% locks for the Olympic team: Heiskanen and Lindell. Then I'm putting Ristolainen and Hakanpää at 95% certainty. But beyond those four, there are at least six quite evenly matched candidates competing for those remaining four slots: Vatanen, Jokiharju, Nutivaara, Määttä, Lehtonen, Välimäki. And we don't know if some not-quite-there name like Heinola or Vaakanainen could be making quick inroads into serious consideration come next season. Juolevi also seems to be right on the cusp, finally.

But we know what Jalonen will do (well, what almost any coach will do) if he has settled on six already and is pondering with four to five names for the last two spots... he's going to pick people he already knows.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think Määttä is half as bad as Ristolainen. When he has declined, always seemed to have something a little more tangible than just "no motivation" or "I want to train".

One thing that might motivate Määttä is wanting to raise his olympic stock. The way I see it, right now we have two names who are 100% locks for the Olympic team: Heiskanen and Lindell. Then I'm putting Ristolainen and Hakanpää at 95% certainty. But beyond those four, there are at least six quite evenly matched candidates competing for those remaining four slots: Vatanen, Jokiharju, Nutivaara, Määttä, Lehtonen, Välimäki. And we don't know if some not-quite-there name like Heinola or Vaakanainen could be making quick inroads into serious consideration come next season. Juolevi also seems to be right on the cusp, finally.

But we know what Jalonen will do (well, what almost any coach will do) if he has settled on six already and is pondering with four to five names for the last two spots... he's going to pick people he already knows.

Raising Olympic stocks is a good point. I'll forgive Määttä for the past WHC invitation declines if he comes now while most other players don't want to deal with this ackward season any longer.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So EHT Czech vs Finland tonight at 21:00 and tomorrow RUS-FIN. Weirdest EHT schedule ever. This should give some answers regarding some players' current form.

I personally want more info on some of the Jokerit forwards. It's been a while since they last played and some of them had mediocre offensive stats with Jokerit. Anttila and Savinainen don't have to do much to be in the final team but the rest of them have to be better than mediocre in my opinion.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
So EHT Czech vs Finland tonight at 21:00 and tomorrow RUS-FIN. Weirdest EHT schedule ever. This should give some answers regarding some players' current form.

I personally want more info on some of the Jokerit forwards. It's been a while since they last played and some of them had mediocre offensive stats with Jokerit. Anttila and Savinainen don't have to do much to be in the final team but the rest of them have to be better than mediocre in my opinion.

Agreed. This will be an interesting few games. I saw lots of stuff about maatta joining but nothing yet on Lankinen other that file s comment. With Lankinen, this team will have a real 2019 vibe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad