WC: 2021 Finland Roster Talk

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kaski and Pokka are still playing playoffs, so I doubt either are among the eleven. If someone knows or wants to check, which teams were out of the playoffs before that article was written, it would give a better idea, who those eleven players could be.

Not for long thou. Omsk are leading 3-2. Game 6 is in 2 days.
I think Omsk wins game 6.

Pokka & Kaski are 100% in, especially if no NHL:ers.

Reactions: illone84

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
For the training camp Anttila, Savinainen, Pakarinen, Hannikainen, Kivisto and Friman have accepted the invite. All are Jokerit players. Mikael Ruohomaa (Sibir) and Jere Karjalainen (Sochi) are also attending. The training camp will start on 4th May.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
For the training camp Anttila, Savinainen, Pakarinen, Hannikainen, Kivisto and Friman have accepted the invite. All are Jokerit players. Mikael Ruohomaa (Sibir) and Jere Karjalainen (Sochi) are also attending. The training camp will start on 4th May.

Iltalehti is mentioning the same names. I'm guessing that's where you got that from. Here's the link to it if someone wants to see it:

Tässä ovat Leijonien MM-leirin ensimmäiset nimet

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Does Claywoman still have anything left in his tank?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do Jalonen even know that Rasmus Rissanen exists? Rissanen not been in national team since 2016 even thought he is one of the best shutdown d in SHL. He made Hrivik and Cehlarik look like junior players in the playoffs. When Örebro is done with their season, Rissanen really should get invited.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Do Jalonen even know that Rasmus Rissanen exists? Rissanen not been in national team since 2016 even thought he is one of the best shutdown d in SHL. He made Hrivik and Cehlarik look like junior players in the playoffs. When Örebro is done with their season, Rissanen really should get invited.
He is not only a bit slow, but his edge work and general agility doesn't fit what is needed for a defensive defenseman on Finland. Quality wise he is quite good, but Jukka needs the right guys.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Does Claywoman still have anything left in his tank?

24 points in 52 KHL games this season. I think he has something left in the tank. I admit that I am just stat watching.

I am not overly impressed by the eight players that were announced. Mostly forwards who are ideally on the 4th line and bottom pairing defencemen. I wonder who the other 3 players who weren't revealed are. I guess we find out more next week when the camp starts. I suppose they reveal more names 'cos no point in having a camp with 11 guys.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
24 points in 52 KHL games this season. I think he has something left in the tank. I admit that I am just stat watching.

I am not overly impressed by the eight players that were announced. Mostly forwards who are ideally on the 4th line and bottom pairing defencemen. I wonder who the other 3 players who weren't revealed are. I guess we find out more next week when the camp starts. I suppose they reveal more names 'cos no point in having a camp with 11 guys.
Pakarinen and Hännikäinen used to have a beast-light mode which made them ultimate fourth liners and pains for the opposition. If they have something like that still in them, they could fill those roles.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland

Goalies:

29 Säteri Harri, Sibir Novosibirsk, KHL
31 Juvonen Janne, Leksands IF, SHL
45 Olkinuora Jussi, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL

Defence:

3 Friman Niklas, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
4 Kivistö Tommi, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
6 Sund Tony, HC Davos, NLA
36 Eronen Elmeri, HPK Hämeenlinna
39 Nousiainen Kim, KalPa Kuopio
40 Lindbohm Petteri, EHC Biel, NLA
50 Seppälä Mikael, KalPa Kuopio
51 Parikka Jarkko, Ilves Tampere
55 Ohtamaa Atte, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, KHL
61 Rindell Axel, Jukurit Mikkeli

Forwards:

10 Suomi Eemeli, Ilves Tampere
12 Anttila Marko, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
13 Ruohomaa Mikael, Sibir Novosibirsk, KHL
19 Savinainen Veli-Matti, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
20 Ojamäki Niko, Linköping HC, SHL
24 Björninen Hannes, Pelicans Lahti
25 Karjalainen Jere, HK Sochi, KHL
27 Kontiola Petri, HPK Hämeenlinna
33 Hännikäinen Markus, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
38 Turunen Teemu, HC Davos, NLA
41 Innala Jere, HPK Hämeenlinna
47 Tiivola Peter, Ässät Pori
48 Puustinen Valtteri, HPK Hämeenlinna
80 Mäenalanen Saku, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL
81 Pakarinen Iiro, Jokerit Helsinki, KHL

Finland´s first camp roster. Manninen, Granlund and Hartikainen probably declined as I expected. We really lack centers right now...

Reactions: Puck Dogg

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Olkinuora is a fine starter and the defence should be enough. Forward group lacks goalscorers and offence. Maybe Kontiola and the whole HPK line will surprise us?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Also good to know that next time they can add players to camp is 10th of May, but I guess we'll hear some rumors of joining players before that.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We really lack centers right now...

Maybe Rasmus Kupari wants to join. Los Angeles won't make the playoffs and his AHL team is doing really badly. Last place in their division.

Someone here said that Ruotsalainen wants to come. That's one more center.

I guess that Valtteri Filppula would be a long shot. His contract is ending. Also his age and motivation to be in covid jail conditions.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Surprisingly strong group. Considering it is the first camp roster (and the situation). Slightly surprised that veterans like Savinainen and Ohtamaa still was ready to go. Especially when they already won the gold. But it is nice to see commitment.

Goaltending could basically be ready already. Two quality goalies from Europe. Juvonen is someone I expected a lot some years ago. I guess it is nice to see him there, but haven´t watch him play in few years.

Reactions: mattihp

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
What about Janne Kuokknanen?

His contract is expiring but who knows if he wants to come regardless of that. I think that young NHL players are our best bet this time. It's hard for me to think that experienced NHL players would want to come to jail basically.

Same thing with Jokiharju and contract btw.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
A lot of the Finnish NHL players whose season will be ending next week, don't have a contract for next year. Some are UFA, some are RFA, some are high end players and some are not. It is hard to guess, who would be willing to join the WC roster. Naturally you don't want to be too optimistic because it has been an extraordinary season with a lot of games in a short span of time. Like does Laine want to come and maybe try to end his season on a more positive note even though he's an RFA? Hard to know. Kuokkanen would probably join if he didn't have contract negotiations ahead of him. Now I am very pessimistic.

I think players like Ruotsalainen, Kakko, Ristolainen, Lindell and Määttä could be the only potential ones to join. They don't have contract negotiations this summer and they could still make it on time. We shall see.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
A lot of the Finnish NHL players whose season will be ending next week, don't have a contract for next year. Some are UFA, some are RFA, some are high end players and some are not. It is hard to guess, who would be willing to join the WC roster. Naturally you don't want to be too optimistic because it has been an extraordinary season with a lot of games in a short span of time. Like does Laine want to come and maybe try to end his season on a more positive note even though he's an RFA? Hard to know. Kuokkanen would probably join if he didn't have contract negotiations ahead of him. Now I am very pessimistic.

I think players like Ruotsalainen, Kakko, Ristolainen, Lindell and Määttä could be the only potential ones to join. They don't have contract negotiations this summer and they could still make it on time. We shall see.

Kevin Lankinen have contract over next season. He would be a good add if CHI misses playoffs.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What would current lineup be? Im guessing something like:

Olkinuora
Säteri
Juvonen

Ohtamaa - Eronen
Nousiainen - Lindbohm
Kivistö - Rindell
Friman - Sund
Parikka - Seppälä

Turunen - Ruohomaa - Karjalainen
Suomi - Kontiola - Puustinen
Pakarinen - Savinainen - Mäenalanen
Hännikäinen - Tiivola - Anttila
Innala - Björninen - Ojamäki

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Updated roster prediction:
Eemeli Suomi - Arttu Ruotsalainen - Niko Ojamäki
Veli-Matti Savinainen(A) - Mikael Ruohomaa - Jere Karjalainen
Jere Sallinen - Petri Kontiola(A) - Teemu Turunen
Hannes Björninen - Anton Lundell - Marko Anttila(C)
Jere Innala - Peter Tiivola - Valtteri Puustinen

Atte Ohtamaa - Oliwer Kaski
Petteri Lindbohm - Vili Saarijärvi
Robin Salo - Tommi Kivistö
Mikael Seppälä - Tony Sund
Jarkko Parikka - Axel Rindell

Jussi Olkinuora
Harri Säteri
Janne Juvonen

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Man, the amount a players with contract negotiations this summer is huge. I was hoping for players like jokiharju, Valimaki, kuokkaen, tolvanen if he missed out. I thought kiviranta hadn't played a lot of hockey and might feel like playing. All rfas. If history has thought us anything, we can discount all these now. Even jolevi is rfa.

We can also i think discount lindell. He did the bubble already with dallas and it would be a super late decision for him to make as I'm sure he s fully focused on dallas making playoffs.

Ristolainen can be discount. He had a tough season with covid. I think he ll need a rest and personally feel he shouldn't get any shit for it.

Lehtonen ufa. Laine rfa heiskenen rfa. All gone.

So where does that leave us.

I think our only possibilities are players who have been out of or pretty much out of the playoff picture for while and are contracted for next season.

For me new York and Chicago have been long shots for a while now. Players had at least a moment to think about if they would go or not.

So I think the pool we are looking at as possibilities are:

Nhl: Lankinen, Kakko, Ruotsilainen
Ahl: Reunenen,Kupari, Laaksonen

That's it I think. Anyone think of anyone as in the picture.

If we got the 3 nhlers, I think that would be a huge add.

Kupari would be an interesting one fro. Ahl.

Final note I heard ruotsilainen was asked if he d go and said he was still waiting for the call. Made me optimistic he would join but no garentee he meant yes there.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
The only one ufa that might have a slim chance that I would add to the list is filpulla. He s playing well too and would be a welcome addition. He might give it another go and that would be an awesome story.

Him and Kontiola.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is Melart out of the picture? He had a very good season. Top stay-at home d in best team in SHL.

Another name: Olli Palola, veteran with grit. Had a good season and playoffs with Rögle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad